World Cup Travel - São Paulo

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by PabloSanDiego, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Miggy

Miggy Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Don't worry - it turns out the hotel I've booked offers parking!

2. Miggy

Miggy Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Don't worry! It turns out my booking includes a parking space!

3. JaWC2014

JaWC2014 Member

Rapids/FC Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 9, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am planning on booking a flight with EXEC EXPRESS II, INC thru bacctravel.com. Can someone from Brazil tell me which airline this is? I tried googling it but I'm getting nowhere. Thanks in advance!

4. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never heard of it, but google has lots of small outfits listed. Book with a CC. That way if it is a scam you can charge back.

5. mdfc

mdfc Member

Jul 12, 2004
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question for those in the know- I see it's about an hour's trip to the coast - are there any beach spots that make for an easy day trip from the city? What would be the best way to get back and forth? Thanks!

6. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can take a bus to Santos or Guaruja. It will be more than an hour. But not too bad. The better beaches are further north - about 2.5 - 3 hrs from SP, but you would likely need to rent a car and stay overnight in a pousada.

7. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If you have some time, visit Museu do Futebol, the soccer museum. It is located in historic Pacaembu Stadium, a beautiful building by itself. There are some nice exhibits there.

Open Tuesdays through Sundays 9 AM to 5 PM. Thursdays and Saturdays free, other days R$6.

8. William Reynolds

Nov 7, 2013
    Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I visited this place in November and I highly recommend it as well.

9. vamoBrasil

vamoBrasil Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    I haven't been back home(SP) for almost 8 years(can't wait!!!!). How's rua augusta?? the tias/primas(whatever you guys call them) still there.

10. Nikkimau

Nikkimau Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ill be in Sao Paulo for the semi final - im staying near Paulista Avenue. Im there for 5 days, planning to be a nerd and visit museums on non match games.

I wish I had heard about Santos before I booked my hotel stay! Might have spent one night there. Im going to try to do a day trip there back and forth on a non match day.

11. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Getting their territory more ran over by hipsters with each passing day.

12. JaWC2014

JaWC2014 Member

Rapids/FC Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 9, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am planning on going to the Eng vs Uru game in SP. I am thinking of taking a flight on the 19th and leaving on the 20th back to Rio. I was thinking of leaving at midnight on the 19th but that just seems like too much. I think I rather spend the night and leave rested the next day and join my crew for more partying!
    I am looking to book a hotel room for one night. Any recommendations as to where I should stay.
    Anyone have spare accommodations for 1 possibly 2 people?
    I could possibly trade a game ticket for one night of hotel and some beers, LOL! (won't know for sure until later this week about the ticket).

13. GreenWave41

GreenWave41 New Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    For those with TSTs who are trying to set up hotels with free cancellation (impossible on FIFA website), try Orbitz...they seem to have lots of Free Cancellation rooms in various cities that allow cancellation after the games will be known.

14. morecast

morecast Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    Univ Catolica
    For those still looking for accomodations in Sao Paulo, checkout Ibis Budget Jardins.
    Its has availability for most dates and the rate now is just $44 usd per night. You have to book a two night minimum stay.
    I myself booked it a couple of months ago at $66 a night which I already thought was a great deal.
    Seems like most hotel prices are starting to drop.
    Goodluck to all

15. JaWC2014

JaWC2014 Member

Rapids/FC Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 9, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question for those living in SP.
    Will I have enough time to fly into VCP and make the match (eng vs uru june 19th) if I land in VCP airport at around 930 am? I know VCP is an hour away (thanks to a BS.com member) but I'm assuming that traffic will be crazy. Any ideas? I'm trying to save as much money as possible considering that flying from Rio into GRU or CGH is a little on the expensive side at the moment and I am not sure that prices will come down.
    Thanks in advance!

16. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should havê plenty of time to get from vcp to the stadium if you flt is on time. If you are on azul you take the free bus to shopping eldorado, hop metro at faria Lima. Go to Luz then take direct train to Itaquera. You just did the whole trip from airport for 3 brl. If the game is at 1pm, you have 3.5 hrs to get there.
    Should be fine.

17. JaWC2014

JaWC2014 Member

Rapids/FC Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 9, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @ACGreen
    Thanks for the info AC!. It's exactly what I was hoping to hear! I think I will book my flight tonight!
    With all the help you've provided to people in this forum, I would not be surprised if you drink for free throughout tournament! And you can add one more from me! Either before the match or after the match!
    Thanks again!

18. vamoBrasil

vamoBrasil Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    As far as time goes. You will have plenty.

But, you will have to take the bus(about 90minutes, per azul website) anyway from VCP-SP. Why not take the bus from RIO-SP(6 hours trip) if you want to save the money.
    Please, have a plan B just in case if you are not able to take these free "azul" bus( I would not rely much on these free services on a game day. Keep in mind, It's Brasil and the SP stadium is not even ready yet).

19. JaWC2014

JaWC2014 Member

Rapids/FC Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 9, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @vamoBrasil
    Thanks, and I see your point. But wouldn't that be the same if I took the bus from Rio to SP? It may says 6 but it might take me 8 hours? Am I assuming wrong?

Which brings me to another question: Has anyone ever used these free bus services from VCP to SP? Is so, can you share your experience?

20. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    I did, and it's pretty good. It's provided by the same company that does regular coaches. No reason to worry.

21. JaWC2014

JaWC2014 Member

Rapids/FC Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 9, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks @lucasc
    I was able to book an outbound flight on gol for 178 and I am trying to book a return flight on Avianca for $53.
    The only problem I'm running into is that the avainca Brazilian site is asking me for a CPF number and when I try to go to the US site, it says it's under construction or the link is broken.
    Does anyone know how to bypass the CPF?

22. JaWC2014

JaWC2014 Member

Rapids/FC Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 9, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nevermind About CPF, I was able to bypass. How? I don't know.

Anyhow, if anyone is looking for flights from Rio to SP for the Eng vs Uru game, here is what I found tonight:
    Outbound: June 19th Rio(SDU) at 810am and landing in SP (CGH) at 901am with GOL airlines for 178USD
    Return: June 19th at 11:10pm GRU and landing in Rio (GIG) at 12:10am for 54USD.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out!

23. sockaplayr

sockaplayr Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Damn, are hotels in Sao Paulo super cheap after Match released a ton of rooms or what? That is ridiculously cheap.

24. Leica

Leica Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Thanks for the heads up. I already had reservations at some other Accor hotels in SP and their prices dropped significantly also. Canceled the old ones, made new reservations.

25. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just changed my flights today so I'll be in Sao Paulo for an extra day, but more importantly I'll be there for the Opening Match and not in an airplane on my way to Brazil.

I was able to book the Ibis Paulista (not the Ibis Budget Paulista which is around the corner) for $144 fully refundable rate. I just have to walk 2-3 blocks to the Mercure Alamedas on FRI morning to switch hotels.

But now the big question for me is, where should I watch the Opening Match? I am almost sure I won't score a ticket (although I'll try), and anyway I am sure the excitement level in any bar or along the streets of SP will be terrific as this is the moment so many people have waited years for.

Is anyone else going to be in the area on the night of June 12th, or have suggestions where to watch the match? There's a lot of bar suggestions in this thread already, but for this important game and the start to my 3 weeks in Brazil, I want to be at the right place.