Blonde Ambition: William Yarbrough at Leon

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by elosoperesosolatino, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got it. Thanks, as always.

3. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An 0-1 home loss on 3/27 to group leader Bolivar means Leon likely need a draw at Flamengo, who they now lead on goal difference for 2nd place & a ticket to the Libertadores KO stage.

That single Bolivar away goal could prove very costly for Leon, but it's hard to fault Yarbrough on it-

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Tomorrow at 6:45 EST Leon plays for survival @ Flamengo, needing a tie, which seems unlikely.

This is the last week of group play in Libertadores, IMO the high point of club play in the year (due to the way the R16 is structured, you don't know who meets whom in the R16 until the end of the last game).

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Partidazo. Flamengo 1 (Yarbrough came out all wrong), Leon 2, about to be HT.

6. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huge upset win for Leon in Brazil puts Yarbrough in the Copa Libertadores KO stage-

The second Flamengo goal was a bit soft, too, but let's not dwell on that right now...

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Second Fla goal came from a deflection by Juan Gonzalez Ibarra, the Leon CB. No way Bill could have got to that one.

8. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is pretty slow to react on it.

(TxT) repped this.
  9. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought the first goal was worse = /

10. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #60 Testudo, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    4/16:

"Leon Battle Back to Draw at Home in Round of 16 of Copa Libertadores

...[R]ight on the brink of halftime Ignacio Gonazlez ... lost concentration and allowed Juan Manuel Callejon to run past him and face off against goalkeeper William Yarbrough. Callejon did not waste the opportunity and tied the game.

...[D]ue to some lax defending, once again by Ignacio Gonzalez, Bolivar's Juan Carlos Arce was able to control the ball in the center of the box and shot the ball past Yarbrough to make the score 1-2.

Gonzalez would see his second yellow card in the 78th minute after a huge mistake from Yarbrough. The goalkeeper tried to control a ball that he probably should have just cleared away. The Bolivar defender stole the ball from the goalkeeper and Gonzalez brought him down with a strong slide tackle."
    http://soccerly.com/article/jonnyri...w-at-home-in-round-of-16-of-copa-libertodores

"'We fell into despair, the good thing was that we found in the final minutes that goal that lifts our spirits for the second leg,' said the keeper."
    http://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/l.../16/caimos-en-desesperacion-william-yarbrough

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    For those who have heard him speak English, what's his accent sound like?

12. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My history prof told me I didn't have to do the "[R]ight" anymore on papers so whatever that means to you.

13. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Club Bolivar Hold Back Leon in Exciting Libertadores Cup Round of 16
    "Club Bolivar managed to get into the Copa Libertadores quarterfinals after a 1-1 tie against current Liga MX champions Leon. After scoring two goals in the first leg of this round of 16, all it took for Bolivar to win, was an Eguino goal that saw the home team come from behind and tie the match at their own high altitude Hernando Siles stadium.

Arizala's third goal of the tournament was an icy-cold wake up call for the local team, who started to test Mexican-American goalkeeper William Yarbrough's skills.... Yarbrough really shined at minute 14, when Spaniard midfielder Jose Luis Capdevila, put the ball in the center of the box for Callejon to head in. Fortunately for the visitors, Yarbrough made an impressive leap towards the ball and punched it out of danger- this done with total disregard for his well being.... Bolivar, continued to push forward, and by minute 36, their efforts paid off when the local team managed to put an air ball inside the penalty box for William Ferreira to graze towards Bolivian defender Ronald Eguino, who gently pushed the ball past the Leon keeper. Yarbrough made a horrible mistake when failing to control the ball as it had reached him before going inside the net."

http://soccerly.com/article/dflores...leon-in-exciting-libertadores-cup-round-of-16

[​IMG]
    Google Translate:
    "To William Yarbrough his first experience in the Copa Libertadores threw a lot of learning and a strong for those who have criticized the goal conceded in the Hernando Siles response. "I pass a pair of gloves," said [verdiblanco] keeper. You go in the second round of the continental fair also added positive things in the keeper. "Calm because we know that is our first experience in Copa Libertadores, we played a very strong opponent who knew how to handle encounters Away more than anything, and good, but always losing hurts, but this is, you have to learn, get the learn from good and bad. " Yarbrough said Gustavo Matosas spoke to the group and leave a clear message. "The teacher was very proud of the group, told us that we just knew it where we come from, that is our first Copa Libertadores is a first experience for many of us, and well, we have to take the good and learn to give before . "It was a Copa Libertadores learning in sports and emotionally, you know that as a goalkeeper as bad or as good as the last performance, and more in a cup that one realizes what it means. Has to learn, as I tell you, and give forth because football rematches gives you, "he concluded.
    http://www.oem.com.mx/esto/notas/n3368646.htm

"In an interview with the Bolivian media and then play and experience in Bolivia, Leon goalkeeper William Yarbrough acknowledged that 3600 masl (meters above sea level) of La Paz weigh footballer, but said that's no excuse.
    "We have the desire to transcend the Copa Libertadores and the height is not a factor, we know that because we play itself weighs there and we played well, but again, it is not a factor," he said."
    http://laaficion.milenio.com/leon/altura-factor-Yarbrough_0_285571673.html

soccersubjectively repped this.
  14. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Club Leon advanced to the Liga MX semifinals with a victory on away goals over Cruz Azul.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  15. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and Zak1FCK repped this.
  16. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Club Leon (with Yarbrough in goal) are hosting Pachuca now in the first leg of Liga MX’s 2014 Clausura final (on Telemundo).

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  17. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He keeps up his form through next summer he may get called into the Gold Cup...for Mexico of course. Unless, JK can convince him to rep the US.

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I just saw the Leon-Pachuca highlights on YouTube and let me just say this - the goalkeeping has never been Mexican strong suit. Pachuca still has El Conejo Perez in goal and that guy is older than Lev Yashin.

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    now that would be a worthy adversary and give lots of PR. The Blonde Mexican vs the homeland of his parents.

20. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kept a clean sheet as León completed the comeback from their first leg deficit to win the Clausura. Back to back titles!

LouisianaViking07/09 and Hararea repped this.
  21. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Google Translate: "The champion of Mexican soccer with Club León goalkeeper William Yarbrough was visiting Zacatecas, as guest of honor to witness and lead the official opening of Club León in Fresnillo, after Bats FC to become Emerald subsidiary official institution."
    http://ntrzacatecas.com/2014/05/21/...snillo-william-yarbrough-es-padrino-de-honor/

Google Translate: "Yarbrough, on the right track: 'Tota "Carbajal
    For the iconic former goalkeeper of the World Cup five times Fiera with Mexico, William continues to rise and expected to consolidate his career with the dress of the Green Tummy"
    http://laaficion.milenio.com/leon/W...borugh_en_el_camino_correcto_0_301770111.html

I hope we don't sleep on him so long he ends up wearing the dress of the Green Tummy against us.

In its CONCACAF Champions' League debut, Leon got a pretty soft draw with Isidro Metapan (El Salvador) and Belmopan Bandits (Belize)-
    http://www.concacaf.com/article/201415-ccl-draw-a-deeper-look

23. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #73 Testudo, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    Real Sociedad rumored to be inquiring as to Yarbrough's price:
    [​IMG]

Tom Marshall: Predicting Mexico’s 2018 squad
    Goalkeepers
    Guillermo Ochoa, Alfredo Talavera, William Yarbrough

...Yarbrough – born in Mexico to Texan parents and a citizen of both the US and Mexico – is the standout young ‘keeper in the Liga MX, having already won two league titles and experienced the Copa Libertadores. A big presence in net, Yarbrough is set to attract attention from the federation on either side of the border.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/114/...63/tom-marshall-predicting-mexicos-2018-squad

5 Players Mexico Need to Axe Following 2014 World Cup Campaign...

Mexico have always had good keepers; several youngsters could push their way in, for instance Leon footballer William Yarbrough, who was capped for the 2007 U-20 World Cup CONCACAF qualifying tournament.
    Yarbrough has proven to be a safe keeper, having won two Liga MX titles at age 25.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...need-to-axe-following-2014-world-cup-campaign

But then there's this [Google Translate, there's a video interview if you follow the link, with him saying this stuff]:

March 26, 2013
    • 'My blood is American, but my heart is Mexican' said the keeper
    • His parents reside in Guadalajara, while two of his brothers live in the United States
    At first glance it is difficult to corroborate what the Lion keeper, William Yarbrough Story Paul says with a particular pride: "I'm 100 percent Mexican."

Although American descent and has two brothers reside in the land of Stars and Stripes, for Yarbrough until today there is no "American Dream...." And though William is aware of the impending pressure that has dual nationality, said that talk about that after three games in the First Division would go crazy.

"I consider, though not enough, 100 percent Mexican, my parents are aliens, but the whole culture that is in my life is Mexican. My brothers are also born here, I've always lived here, so my heart is Mexican.

"That of Teams for dual citizenship truth I have not thought of, I can not go crazy, I have a few games and try to keep my feet on the ground working day. If those things come, come, and I will balls after "comments in an interview with Half Time.

The decision made by players like Jose Francisco Torres and Edgar Castillo selected to represent the U.S. respects, since they have been different circumstances that each has experienced throughout his life.

And while the "Gringo" Torres already fulfilled the dream of playing a World Cup, says Yarbrough is happy to have participated in the process of the FIBA Americas U20 with Selection of Mexico.

"I know they (Torres and Castillo) had the option of being called to the (selection) of Mexico, they were very personal decisions that do not know. What is certain is that in Mexico the level of demand is high, something that I like and makes me work every day. "

"The competition is very high porters, many archers that are Division National Team, Jesus Corona, Guillermo Ochoa, Cirilo Saucedo, Jonathan Orozco, Alfredo Talavera and many others that have not been calling but are at high level. I'm glad goalkeepers in Mexico are in good level and that makes the competition stronger, "he says...
    http://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/m...soy-100-por-ciento-mexicano-william-yarbrough

24. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    More like "US Soccer: Yea--we're OK with our keepers...thanks!"

25. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999