The Crew Television Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ZipSix, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Does TW still have any unencrypted ClearQAM channels? Most providers got rid of most or all of them.

2. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    I think he was referring to the "late 80's" since that's when the story took place. Analog antenna quality was pretty hit and miss back then and not like today's digital.

3. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still would've been better than nothing during the outage. That's why I said "as backup".

4. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that depends on where you live. Picking up digital OTA signals with an indoor antenna is unworkable at our place. I know, I've tried. I'd have to put an aerial on the roof, and given that I live in a four-unit condo, that would be easier said than done.

------RM

5. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unblock-us is a VPN just like tunnelbear is. Really no difference there.

6. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got tunnelbear to work in seconds. I couldnt get unblock us to work. Just saying.

7. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm using Tunnelbear as well with no issues. Even got my parents learning how to use it so they can watch the games while I attend them.

8. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    I prefer to travel to a random city outside of ohio to watch the games through mls live. Fly to chicago, go to starbucks watch the game and then fly home. I mean c'mon people its really alot better than watching through a vpn.

9. Big Strong Patrick

Big Strong Patrick That's so Gaven

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the TW station air more than one viewing of the Crew games?

10. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yes, the matches are the headline product for the "network" so they are shown multiple times during the week.

11. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Expanded coverage!!!

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sponsored by local favorite Cameron Mitchell?

13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now we know the *other* conflict for STO--Ohio Machine games (I am watching it right now--and you think ONN was bad--I can't even see the ball).

14. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Sorry I didn't check for replies ... Yeah they do. A lot of them. Especially on the local broadcast .. In my loc, I get every almost every local OTA broadcast subchannel.
    To find out just hook your cable directly into the tv and do a {cable, not antenna} scan.
    It wont list the locked QAM channels. Given the probs with the old STB's I'm amazed everyone doesn't do a direct input at least for fallback.
    Note that the old Tivo 2 wont pick them up it only does NTSC {analog}.

15. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Oh yeah I knew the locals were always unecrypted, but I don't think any cable channels are available through ClearQAM anymore. Used to be though.

16. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a game is being televised on UMAS and your in "Canada" you can watch the game on MLS LIVE.

17. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YAY, for NBCSN this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The no MLS games part?

20. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Que? The Sunday game at SKC is on NBCSN or has that changed?

21. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will laugh my ass off if TWC gets the Crew games and then turns over Cbus to Charter. What I could see happening is Charter taking over the old Insight areas. Maybe that is why TWC has been holding off on upgrading them fully, if this plan was in the works. In which case, I would then be a Charter Communications subscriber, and if they did not offer TWCSN-Ohio, I would not be subject to blackout restrictions for MLS Live.

Hamburgler03 repped this.
  22. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    I won't ever have any of these shit providers so none of it matters to me (right now at least).

Some day they'll probably push out the good ones like WOW and I'll deal with it then or cut the cable entirely but I'm never going back to TW or switching to someone like Comcast.

RoleModel83 repped this.
  23. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So, all of ohio will become Charter. It will interesting to see what happens. The contract says if I can get "time warner" than I'm blacked out. Maybe the blackout is only temporary? Will be even more interesting to see if charter continues the time warner sports channel.
    Also, the crew were on live on TWTV channel 99 in SD. I think that channel is on clear qam. Clear as in no encryption. Not clear as in seeing the ball at any given time.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  24. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Looks like Comcast will still own a piece of the new spinoff, Charter will own a part and operate the network. The irony of the new home of the Crew going away in the first year of the contract.

hardhead repped this.
  25. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So reports continue to say Time Warner Cable will give Charter all of their Ohio subscribers. As a media scholar, I think the Comcast-Time Warner cable deal is not a good one for the telecommunication industry & consumers. As a Crew fan--this could be a blessing. If TWCSC is eliminated due to TWC's divestment, the Crew may be free to renegotiate their contract after just one season.

EDIT: I wonder if TWCSC's possible demise gives the Crew any leverage to renegotiate terms (e.g. blackout) this season.