Fox Sports 1 (the ever shrinking screen)

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by danielmak, Apr 24, 2014.

1. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I'm a day behind but just started the 2nd leg of the CONCACAF CL final. Not only is FS1 using a news crawl at the bottom of the screen but they have now added a column on the far right side of the screen that takes up about 1/5 of the space that is showing a repeating list of NFL games for the 2014 season. This is absolutely bizarre. I guess Fox has no idea that in other areas of TV production (e.g., mini-series or cinematic shows like True Detective) producers now see the large screen HDTV as a tool to compete with cinema. Instead, Fox is more interested in replicating the smart phone screen.

beInSchwartz repped this.
  2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Wait... are you saying FOX used large screen HDTV as a tool to provide as much breaking news sports information as they could? Like it or not, the NFL schedule reveal has been becoming an event. The NFL (which FOX has NFC rights to) is much bigger than CCL.

3. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I get that NFL is the most popular sport in the US, but sports broadcasts should not look like this:
    WARNING SPOILER IN SCREENSHOT
    http://imgur.com/ItXyzzT

socceraction repped this.
  4. reillyduke

reillyduke Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The NFL schedule is news but it doesn't need to be on the screen during other events. the first game of the schedule will not be played for six months.

5. Rivaldinho

Rivaldinho Member

Jan 26, 2003
    Was it like that for the whole game?

6. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I partially agree with the original poster. You can put all of the other stuff on screen most all of the time, if you want, but a championship FINAL game should have a "clean" a screen as possible. Last December, ESPN had their Jimmy V Foundation Week in December. They ran the Jimmy V logo on the screen during the MLS Cup final, as well as other final(s) [mens and/or women's college soccer final(s)]. If you are recording the match "for posterity" sake, imagine you watch this months/years later, and you see the "other stuff" on screen. The actual championship games should has a minimal amount of screen clutter.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you're not knocking Jimmy V Week. The logo is small and tasteful.

JasonMa and sitruc repped this.
  8. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Much of the game. Probably 40% if I remember correctly.

Again, I get that the NFL schedule is new, but they already have a news crawl. Why wouldn't the news crawl be enough? And if the news crawl is seen as inefficient then they should ditch that thing.

It's funny that given all of the early problems with BeIn it is now by far the best network going. Fox is constantly junking up screens for all channels except FS+, the producers at Univision Deportes believes that any match that takes longer than a 2-hour block will be edited or ET/penalties don't need to be shown.

9. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And during UEFA CL games, they feel that the ticker desperately needs to show the score of the game being shown above the ticker... which has its own scoreboard. *durrrr*
    I find tickers annoying in general but we're stuck with them. Channels will always think we desperately need to know when Brett Favre retires or unretires every 9.8 minutes.

beInSchwartz repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    BEIN Sports does not have tickers during their matches. They do have little promo graphics that show up from time to time but that is about it.

11. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's even better is that when the time on the ticker below is 30 or 40 seconds AHEAD of the game above.

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing the ticker is a generic one replicated across all channels and that they're probably saving money by not modding it.

Try www.tickerblocker.com

13. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was knocking the LOGO, not the week. (I am slightly knocking the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network for over-doing the V week the enitre... um.... week. Nice idea, yes, but they try to bludgen you with everything they can get their hands on.) It was there on the screen the whole time, and yes it was distracting.

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Really? The week is to raise money to fight cancer. If that's distracting, then what's the time bug that changes every second? At least the JimmyV logo doesn't fly on the screen from the corner accompanied by a sound effect (2002 World Cup) or take up a large portion of the screen (2006 World Cup) or has a dark background.

For one week a year, I think most of us can deal with a tiny logo for a noble cause.

If you're the small percentage of people who watch sporting events from more than a few weeks ago, try blasting the ticker.

sitruc repped this.