go ahead take the science quiz...

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by msilverstein47, Apr 9, 2014.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    12 out of 13. I expected to do worse. I missed the gas question.

3. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    12 of 13

gas in earth's atmosphere question

4. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    My roommate and I both took it, and we both got a 13/13. I had to think for a bit about the chemical reaction question, though.

5. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    13/13. It's funny. I was just talking to my wife about fracking yesterday. I might have missed that one otherwise. What really surprises me is that I knew these straight off (aside from the one I mentioned). My students don't understand that I'm not just a good writer and reader because I'm an English teacher. Science teachers aren't the only people who know about science. I'm not a big backer of E.D. Hirsch and his Cultural Literacy books, but I do have copies, and I've shared them with my students. The amount of information my students don't know is astonishing.

Wow... went in and looked at the News quiz. I didn't even have enough confidence to finish. Heh.

6. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

I got a 10/13 on the news one, but I guessed on a couple (though actually, looking at the results now, the three that I guessed on were the three that I got wrong, haha).

7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    13/13. The only one I had to think on was the chemical reaction question.

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    12/13. Rusty nails was my first choice, but I talked myself out of it.

9. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    13/13
    But I had the benefit of Wankler's spoiler here. Not saying I wouldn't have gotten it on my own, mind you, but then lots of things seem obvious when you already know the answer.

10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    knowing that only 7% got all 13 right i hardly expected to do so, i'm no mr. science.

i also thought nails rusting would have the lowest % of correct answers, it's the only one i needed to think about. or the antibiotics one, since the difference between "addiction" and "resistant bacteria", while not a fine distinction, is a concept that might not be evident to many. surprisingly nitrogen in the atmosphere was the stumper, and by far; i thought that had been driven home to everyone in grade school... turns out only 31% of college grads know it.

even more surprising is that only 59% of college grads know what electrons are.

the statistics are even more shocking when you take into account that these are just 3-option multiple choice: 15% of people did worse than they would have just picking at random (the 10 adults who got zero are as unlucky as they are stupid) and if you mirror that distribution it mean that roughly 30% of people just guessed at every question.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Standing on the shoulders of giants, mate.

12. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'm up here walk me over to that window so I can steal a pie.

msilverstein47, guignol and Dr. Wankler repped this.