Official 2013/2014 Europa League Thread

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Dante, Dec 11, 2013.

1. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    It will be interesting to see how Italy set up over the summer. The 3-5-2 can support but also expose Pirlo whenever the other CMs and WB position themselves high up the field when Juve are on the ball. A direct ball that gets turned over leaves Pirlo alone and chasing. Benfica nearly made Juve pay twice on such situations.

When sitting back defensively without the ball, Pirlo certainly has a lot of cover though.

2. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  3. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    the crazy thing is that Benfica have Salvio, Silvio and Gaitan all injured and still won and dominated large portions of the game

this game belongs in the CL

4. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    I've watched it a few times here.

I think it's fair to say that Pirlo should absolutely have done better. It was a nice play. However Caceres and Bonucci are both marking the same person/space. From the video, Bonucci sees what is happening but doesn't attack the ball as it's played in the area. Even if it's not his fault why not try to make a play directly on the ball? If he doesn't get there at least he could try to put Lima off. Instead Lima gets a very clean hit.

Actually from the first GIF you provided it seems like Bonucci recognizes the play yet hesitates. He takes a step toward the direction of the space in which Lima ends up in.

Maybe I'm a little high on my expectations after watching Real's CBs react incredibly well the day before.

Seeing Real yesterday defend for their lives in the dying minutes of that game, it just seems that Juve haven't been able to get to that level of concentration this year in Europe. It is another level.

5. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The dummy made the play and froze a few people but look where Lima started. Bonucci could have done better to close the play but Lima was Pirlo's mark.

6. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    asking pirlo to play defense is like asking water to not be wet.

7. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Pirlo does play defense but he is not particularly good at marking an opponent. It happens like it did today.

8. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Neither team dominated, but each had dominant spells of play. Benfica were missing players, but so were Juve. Vidal, Llorente, and Barzagli all regular starters were out. The game was decided by a few moments that went Benfica's way. A draw would have been fair, but it's not surprising that Benfica won at home.

Agreed. Man to man, Pirlo should have done better seeing as Lima is directly behind him on the build up. The dummy was a brilliant play. Ideally Pirlo and Bonucci both converge on the play and either Lima gets interrupted or the shot is blocked. I'm probably being a little harsh on Bonucci, but a really world class defender could have destroyed that play.

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's fair to say that Bonucci was 100% at fault on the first goal. He foolishly tried to bump his man when an attempt at a clearance would have been better.

Daei_10 repped this.
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Isn't a 2-1 loss away from home a good result? I would tend to think so. If Juve win 1-0 at home, they are through so I don't see any reason to panic just yet. I do not foresee them losing at the Juventus Stadium . I'm not sure but since they built the place, I don't think Juve has ever lost there. Well maybe once or twice but that is about it.

11. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    I think Juve lost to Inter there last year which broke their undefeated run. They were also well beaten by Bayern at home as well.

The result overall isn't too bad given the away goal, but for the winner to come so late in the game shortly after tying is a pity. They certainly can overturn the result at home, but it will be a nervy affair. Benfica could just as easily escape with a tie in the same way Galatasaray and Real were able to this year.

If Juve come out the way they did at home vs Napoli, Roma, or vs Real (1st half), then 2-0 or 3-0 seems imaginable. If they came out like they have in other instances a tie could be in the cards. It will be interesting to see how Juve deal with the pressure if they do have an advantage at the closing stages. Should be fun to watch.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'd play offensively and flood the goal early and that way they will be back tracking. I haven't seen Benfica lately but I doubt they are a better team than Juve.

13. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Neither Gala nor Copenhagen were better teams going into their ties. Juve certainly didn't have it easy vs either. Something about these Euro ties where mental mistakes they wouldn't normally make in Serie A seem to happen. If they play a solid clean game and progress it could very well be their best overall performance in Europe since beating Chelsea 3-0 in Turin (although again Real at times they looked fantastic). My gut says it could be that type of performance, but who knows. If it is, that is growth!

14. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I dont feel safe with only 1-0 lead

i think the team knows this too....imagine if we're up 1-0 and its 5 to 10 min left to the game, we would be all nervous and benfica would be pressing....at that point a late goal will make it 1-1 and we will lose.

we need to come out firing and at least build a 2 goal cushion. im glad we at least got tevez back, he's the only forward we have that can do something with the ball...the rest are pretty useless on their feet and beating their opponents.

15. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    All I saw was Benfica defending for about 85 mins.

16. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't beat Benfica on the field so have to run to Platini to take care of it off it. Classic. So much for fair play.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #817 falvo, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    Question which I'm sure has been asked and answered to death but I'm getting old and forget...If an Italian team, (in this case Juventus) wins the UEFA/EUROPA League, what does that team or what benefits does the (league) Serie A get? Do they get an automatic birth in the CL or EL spot or does that mean Italy gets another spot in Europe?

18. OldLady

OldLady Member+

Sep 8, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ‘Do UEFA want Juve in final?’
    By Football Italia staff

Benfica’s director of communications Joao Gabriel has hinted that UEFA want Juventus to progress to the Europa League final.

His comments come after European football’s governing body made the decision to open disciplinary proceedings against Enzo Perez for his alleged elbow on Juve’s Giorgio Chellini during last week’s semi-final first leg between the sides.

The Old Lady made a complaint to UEFA about the incident, but Benfica are outraged that the decision to take action was only made yesterday, meaning that they now have only 21 hours to respond to the accusations.

“Benfica would like to know whether UEFA are more interested in sporting integrity or seeing to it that Juventus reach the final in Turin,” Gabriel said to Portuguese outlet A Bola.

“We now have only 21 hours after finding out about this to respond to the accusations.”

19. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Did I not answer this once before for you? Or for someone else? This year, the winner gets an automatic berth to the EL. Next year, to the CL. If the team already would qualify, nothing extra.

20. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    LOL @falvo - you are getting old. Not only did I answer this for, you even gave me a rep!

21. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    lol, making up excuses already?

Dante repped this.
  22. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    nope and nope

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Therefore, whether they win it all or not, they and Italy gets nothing. Doesn't sound all that great to me....

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sadly, I turned 48 on Saturday and my ex Sicilian GF was at the party and she gave me a HEX!

ARGGHHHH! :)

Falc repped this.
  25. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all don't have people in places to make problems go away. Afraid to settle it on the pitch