England U-17 Discussions Thread #3 (2007 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by england66, Jul 8, 2011.

1. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What's happened to Houghton in the England set up? I always thought he was good but he hasn't featured for England since the Algarve tournament in 2012.

2. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    That would be true if he had an uninterrupted season but he's just back from a long injury. Why would you expect him to be in top form right away ? He was up against Houghton and RLC who are two very good talents and are (almost) 2 years older and much stronger physically than him. They bossed the midfield from start to finish in both games.

He's doing well for his age (and considering his size). He's just 16. Playing for the first team is too soon obviously. There aren't many 17/18 year olds playing in the BPL anyway.

Yeah, Chelsea had some 97s(Solanke,Clarke-Salter and Brown played towards the end of the 2nd leg and was disappointing in the first leg) too and even a 98 (Jay da Silva). Chelsea were better pretty much everywhere on the pitch but the key battle was in midfield which gave confidence to the other players. Arsenal's central midfielders Jebb and Glen Kamara were pretty bad(they aren't highly rated and you can see why) while Zelalem(a 97) is weak physically and got bullied off the ball.

3. MUFC1

MUFC1 Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lewis Cook really doesn't get enough credit here, our best central midfielder IMO and a rare style of play for English footballers.

4. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Are you changing your tune about the Boy Wonder? Most of the England u17 squad have been playing u21 football - the "rigours" of u18 football hasn't been considered too much for them. In fact two of them - the little chaps Armstrong and Roberts have even played in the Premiership.

And yet we are to believe Boy Wonder Crowley can't cope with u18 football. Come on!

5. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    I said he couldn't cope with Loftus-Cheek and Houghton(plus cristiasen at CB) after a long injury. It's not the end of the world for him. Armstrong and Roberts would also struggle against them.

6. dakid

dakid Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Who are Jamie Carracher and Steve Gerrard?

I watched Elvis Live last night but luckily for me i was able to tell that just because it said live in the title i was not actually watching it live. You however it seems are not one of the lucky ones.

7. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can you elaborate on that? I really like Cook as well.

8. MUFC1

MUFC1 Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He wants to be on the ball and dictate a game. Good first touch (annoyingly very rare in our youth teams), good control and a very good range of passing. Not as direct as the typical English midfielder. He's not pushed on as much as I thought he would over the last year or so(not helped by injury) but I think he's got brilliant ability and will be one for the future.

9. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He was directly up against RLC in Arsenal's system, an U19 international. He wouldn't have to cope with that sort of physicality at an U17 tournament.

timh19 repped this.
  10. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well he has been injured for about 6 months overall this season, you do need some luck in that regard to rise through the ranks quickly. Something to consider with Crowley though is that he is born late August, there's hardly any difference between him and schoolboys. Actually in fact, I've heard some parents complain about the age system grouping players as young as that with other kids the best part of two years older than them, and last season Crowley played regularly against many players the best part of three years older than him.

Anyway I can't say I've seen a lot of his games, I did see the first Chelsea match and whilst he was bullied physically he certainly looked very sharp and incisive on the ball. Considering he didn't start the second game, and that his sharpness had disappeared during his cameo, its seems reasonable to think he was physically strained. Otherwise if it was a tactical decision not to start him why did he get 90 minutes in the first game?

My opinion on him is second hand based after listening to fans that have gone to see him this season. Most of them were extremely positive about his performances, his highlight have also been quite impressive.

timh19 repped this.
  11. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    he started the week before because he had been so impressive before his injury that they probably thought he would still make an impact.
    find it odd that some england youth football "experts" are happy that a central midfielder who can keep the ball and create is missing out. international football is all about keeping possession, playing on the ground, that's how we won the euro 17. even if he's not 100% he should play.

12. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    it's a not a coincidence that Crowley is great every time he plays for England. international football is made for him.

13. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    #2038 timh19, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    Crowley is quality against players from his age group. If Peacock didn't pick him because of the games against Chelsea, I think that would be really unfair. Loftus-Cheek is miles better than any of the players England u17 will meet in the Euro U17. Crowley's fitness will improve in the next 2 weeks. He didn't look 100% fit vs Chelsea.
    Obviously one of the midfielders will have to get injured for him to go. Or maybe some of the clubs will not let their players go. Let's see what happens.

14. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    So is Youth Cup football too much for Crowley? Or should I put you down as a don't know?

15. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They are two multimillionaire Scousers with a very poor grasp of English grammar.

No one will be seeing Elvis doing anything live ever again. I hate to be the one to have to tell you but he's been dead for decades.

Take care now and look after yourself.

16. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He did his cruciate at the start of 2013 and was out until August for all intents and purposes and now has to compete for higher age groups with players who've moved onto U21/first team football ahead of him. Hopefully a strong run in the 21s next season will get him back into consideration as he's really a good player.

17. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Crowley and Rossitter both make it easily on merit. But other considerations probably played a part.

And Crowley is a very good talent. Not as good as a Roberts for me but promising.

18. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    yeah, I'm actually hoping that someone will withdraw, hopefully not Roberts

19. itsonlymemate

itsonlymemate Member

Apr 1, 2013
    this squad is capable of doing well without 'boy wonder' crowley. we will have loads of options in the forward positions and dont think he will be missed much.

20. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think we will miss him because when he is fully fit he is a legit talent but he has only just come back from injury and his form is not there just yet because of that, so that is probably the main reason for him not being picked IMO.

MUFC1 repped this.
  21. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Of course he will be missed. He's not a forward and having players able to keep the ball in midfield is vital in these tournaments.
    Illustration here : even with 10 men we still kept the ball and created chances and he was a big part of it

22. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    It's not like Crowley played against some random team. Chelsea have the best Academy in England. And yes, age does make a difference. A 16 year old struggling against a highly rated 18 year old is natural.

23. itsonlymemate

itsonlymemate Member

Apr 1, 2013
    ah highlights. have you seen Taarabts?

24. itsonlymemate

itsonlymemate Member

Apr 1, 2013
    well as you said hes not fully fit so doesnt deserve to be there

25. itsonlymemate

itsonlymemate Member

Apr 1, 2013
    not when some people say hes the best talent since rooney. maybe hes just a "natural" talent. tbf hes been pretty shit all season playing in a team getting spanked all over the place. coming up against his england colleagues getting outshone by them. i saw onomah completely run the show when they faced each other.. crowley looked pretty ordinary and lazy.

peterborough performance in 1....