GOP Failure Watch Part III

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And @dapip posted the link as the future of the GOP with American D*ckhead chiming in.

The idiots on the left will say he is somehow mainstream Republican regardless of that having any semblance of truth.

2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  3. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So when issues of waste come up I should say something about the bipartisan waste that is the Abrams tank instead of the pointless highways named after Robert Byrd (D)?

Maybe I'll cite both.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To paraphrase a great 20th century poet, mainstream is as mainstream does.

*IF* he wins the nomination and *IF* Republicans in North Carolina back him as if he were just like Richard Burr, then he *IS* mainstream, isn't he?

I just don't think that will happen...either half of the equation. So right now, I wouldn't call him a mainstream Republican. But that's subject to change.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What party wants to reduce the over all spending on Military waste and what Party is in favor of increasing that waste?

Well the Pres Budget does increase military spending, but that is because he is afraid of being labeled weak.

Democrat politicians do tend to be pussies and run away from a political fight.

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Are you being serious? I'm finding it hard to tell, tbh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Johnson#Life.2C_education_and_career

Johnson graduated from Clark College (now Clark Atlanta University) in 1976, was a member of Omega Psi Phi Kappa Alpha Alpha Chapter, Decatur, Georgia, and Texas Southern University's Thurgood Marshall School of Law in Houston in 1979; he practiced law in Decatur, Georgia, for more than 25 years.

He was elected to the DeKalb County Commission in 2000 and served two terms. Prior to his service on the Commission, he worked as an Associate Magistrate Judge for ten years.

So he was a lawyer for 25 years and then a judge for 10 and he thinks an island which weighs.Oh... I don't know... let's say a few million tons, can be 'tipped over' by a few thousand people.

I mean, that IS what you're saying, is it?

Is this a wind-up? :D
    LOL

That's not 'ascientific' is it. It's nonsense.
    Would you care to explain how someone saying an island weighing millions of tones can be tipped over by a few thousand people is going to HELP their career? I mean, what demographic was he aiming for, exactly? Y'know... bearing in mind people in mental asylums can't vote... :D

Come on, admit it... it's a wind-up, isn't it :)

I am MORE than happy to accept people in American politics come out with all SORTS of crap to make themselves popular but THIS? Who does THIS help, precisely?

I mean, seriously, who is he trying to appeal to?

7. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    People take leave of their senses ALL THE TIME. Even highly-credentialed ones. Hell, ESPECIALLY those.

American Brummie repped this.
  8. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could not agree with this post more.

9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  11. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dapip repped this.
  12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It will? Well maybe. Been a long time, though.

13. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Young people today believe some pretty weird shit. It's impossible for me to say which party, if any, they identify with, though.

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I mean, in the first Presidential election in which I voted, 1980, Ronald Reagan ran on reducing the deficit by cutting taxes. Even as a 19 year old, I knew that subtraction didn't equal addition. Even as a 19 year old, I knew that was candy for those who didn't want to face the truth.

So that is 34 years and counting on the candy meter. Not sure how long I'm supposed to wait.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Or, this has been in the making for at least that long..

Damned home schooled kids...

16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The candidate that we were discussing is very extreme. However some of his views are shared by the GOP and the views in the GOP field tend to be more extreme than those of the Democratic party. Here are two interesting graphs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do you notice something peculiar about the graphics?

Hint: Look at how they intersect and look at the bars further from the middle.

American Brummie repped this.
  17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Being stupid about the weight of an island isn't quite the same as being stupid about climate change. I don't know why anyone thought this was a relevant comparison.

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe I'm getting old, (well, OK... there's no maybe about it, is there:(), but this 'cutting taxes will bring in MORE revenue' is a relatively new concept, certainly over here. By 'relative' I mean, since the 1980's.

The argument always USED to be that business people wouldn't invest because 'it wasn't worth it because of the taxes', but pretty much EVERYONE realised that increasing taxes, (up to a certain level), would bring in more money and that reducing them would reduce it. There was an argument about what the optimal rate of taxes should be but not that constantly reducing taxes will constantly increase tax revenues.

You're right about the period we're meant to wait, though. In fact, it rather reminds me of this fella...

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Upton_Sinclair

I used to say to our audiences: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!"

Well, quite!

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Same here. Fiscal candy was Ronnie's thing; before then, Republicans were pretty sensible on economics.

20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wasn't it Jimbo Carter that had the stuff about America having to knuckle down, work hard and pay their taxes to keep pace with people abroad? Something like that...

People didn't want to hear THAT, that's for sure.

The thing is, you've said in the past that you're a 'fiscal conservative' but, tbh, IS there an alternative? I'm not sure there is... at least, not in the long run. Sure, you can run government deficits for a while, even a few years at a time, but at SOME point, you have to get things back into balance.

Of course, that's only talking about government debt, too.

Over here we used to have credit controls where people ad to put, say, 25% or 33% down when they bought something on hire purchase. That meant that credit was kept under some sort of control. Can you imagine that being acceptable now?

The point is that people DO need protecting from their own worst inclinations. Galbraith said something about people, given enough impetus, are QUITE capable of kicking themselves up their own arses and out into the street, (although his phraseology may have been different :D).

People want stuff NOW! Try telling them they have to wait or they have to keep their spending under control or work harder.... screw THAT!

It's like our politicians have become child minders rather their representatives... let ALONE leaders!.

23. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Here's the winner for me...

He compared his model for education to Henry Ford’s mass production of automobiles, saying the private market had a solution to every problem.

“The scriptures teach this model, this is a biblical model, we don’t see anything in the Bible about state education, and it’s done as an outreach of the Christian community,” Moore said.

He dismissed concerns about diversity, suggesting that non-Christians could attend “private-free market schools.”​

I don't recall the Bible saying much about markets, or about mass production.

25. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feeding_the_multitude