35th Fixture: April 27th, 2014- Liverpool FC vs Chelsea FC - [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Apr 24, 2014.

1. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    game on NBCSN at 9:05 a.m. EST

game on Sky Sports 1 at 2:05 p.m. GMT

2. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Must win so Citeh can win the title.

3. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, what does a realistic "weakened side" look like for this?

_________MS_________
    __CA___GC__BI___AC__
    _____NM____JOM_____
    ____MS___??___AS____
    _________DB_________

4. Cletis

Cletis Member+

Jul 12, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hilario in goal imo. Also, I think the back line could have some surprises. With JT out, I'd not want to take any chances with Cahill, Bran, Dave or Luiz. The guys not available on Wednesday - Matic, Salah, Lamps and Mikel - are all likely starts on Sunday.

5. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if this is Jose-level sarcasm. :cautious:

6. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I believe the FA set this up for Liverpool, so I won't be watching. The game should've been moved to Saturday. The FA just might be the worst, most biased and corrupt football governing organization everywhere outside of Italy.

Let's go get that UCL trophy. Let the louse have the domestic trophy.

7. Cletis

Cletis Member+

Jul 12, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying he's going to rest all those guys, but it makes sense to protect some of them. Cahill needs a rest and is too important to risk with Terry unavailable. Is there a big gap between Schwarzer and Hilario? I don't really know, but if Schwarzer is deemed important for Wednesday then I would sit him down. I don't know what Jose's plans are for Wednesday, but any injury along the back line will really mess things up. Matic and Salah are auto-starts on Sunday and Hazard will obviously not play. There's not a ton left to consider in the attack.

mckersive repped this.
  8. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    In all likelihood the team will play Schwarzer as he needs matches and additionally it gives us more of an opportunity to judge him for a contract extension. I'm nervous with Schwarzer in goal and I'd be frightened with Hilario in goal in both of the next two matches.

The backline could very well be Kalas, Bane, Christensen, Cole/Dave

Matic, Baker/Ake

Salah, Oscar, Schürrle

Ba

Cletis and mckersive repped this.
  9. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I think there is a big gap between Schwarzer and Hilario. I understand, in theory, a fear of further injury, but don't see resting your first team keeper (in this case field promoted Schwarzer) who may need all the reps he can get to brush off the lingering rust. Also, Liverpool's strength is their attacking form and it would be asking trouble to start a reserve team back line against them. When Jose said a weaker side, I saw it as his throwing up a trial balloon and setting expectations so that there would not be a freakout if he fielded a less than the best XI. I do not expect him to give Liverpool a stroll in the park. I suppose we will see.

Ninjatend0 and Blueallthru repped this.
  10. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    With what's been said about a weakened side and whatnot, I'd honestly love to see Aké and maybe even Baker play a part. I'm all in for the CL at this point, and how great would it be to see one of your youngsters give Liverpool a shock? Not that there is a very high chance it happens, but a man can dream

11. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm torn, but part of me wants this.

12. drjman

drjman Member+

Jul 28, 2010
    Southern California
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is about as good a test we can get for our youngsters. I wouldn't mind seeing our B side out there. I'm kind of excited about it actually.

13. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    I believe there is a limit to the number of U-21 players who can be called up and used without being fined.

14. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    However if they are part of you senior squad there is no limit, I'm assuming they'd have to be registered.

EDIT: I thought I read that. Not gospel.

15. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    seems to be another "interpretive issue" for the FA

oh joy

basically I think we may see 1-2 youngsters (most likely on the bench) and think that those thinking we will be trotting out the U-21s will probably end up disappointed

Dtrip77 and Blueallthru repped this.
  16. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    honestly i think a weakened team would be good enough to grab a win. as in, the players themselves are good enough to pull it off. that happening is a long shot though with the form liverpool are in and the confidence they have. it may seem unfair to some 'pool fans but i don't think they have the best team in the league. i DO think they are in an incredible run of chemistry that's clicking really well. and that's down to Rodgers probably. but i also think it would have been different had they been playing in europe over the course of the year. they may have some financial muscle and now reputation to not only strengthen but also get deeper over the summer.

17. addicted2chelsea

Nov 11, 2007
    Australia
    Im all for fielding a weakened team , we did it in 2012 and got hammered 4-1. The league is gone , its Liverpools , the only thing we are fighting for is a potential Finals berth in the CL. My best mate is a Liverpool fan so it will be nice to see him experience the joy of winning the league , otherwise I couldnt really care less .

18. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sometimes i think this board is way too pessimistic :oops:

i would be absolutely shocked if we didn't start Cahill. just because he's been playing consistently doesn't mean he needs a rest. we're missing Terry but otherwise our back line is fine with Azpi/Ivan - Cahill - Ivan/Luiz - Cole/Azpi

missing Cech and Hazard sucks

but Matic, Oscar, Willian, Schurrle, Salah, Lamps, van Ginkel, and Mikel give us plenty of cover. and despite his cockup vs. Sunderland, Schwarzer is an able stand-in

Ba up top works for me

the title may be Liverpool's to lose, but i think it's asinine to play this game like it doesn't matter. if we beat them, we're two points from the top with Liverpool still to play Palace and Newcastle (neither are gimmes). moreover, if we beat them, we put City in the driver's seat to pip Liverpool on goal difference

fielding anything less than a strong line-up would disappoint if not disgust me

starting Kalas, Christensen, Ake, and Baker? no pls

Dtrip77, mckersive and 352klr repped this.
  19. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    God… Jose sucked the life force right out of a lot of the Chelsea fan base.

I don't want to lose to effing Liverpool, play a good team, play to win, cmon Chelsea.

20. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Erm, what???

You're gonna need to elaborate

21. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    All this emo "play a reserve team" talk.

22. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    putting himself in a win-win

we lose- great we expected to with the ressies

we win- look how great I am by playing the ressies

23. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I mean, I feel that…thats been the story of our season.. Jose covering his ass with well worked press conferences/statements, getting hailed as a hero when we win certain games and devoid of any blame when we shit the bed against small teams.

Bleh. Hoping for the best either way.

24. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24 hudson hooligan, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    Jose has me more excited about Chelsea than I've ever been before

I think some people are taking Jose's comments way too literally, and the media's portrayal of his comments are baiting everyone into thinking that Jose is actually trying to destroy the excitement of the end of the season

When asked if he would field a "weaker" side against Liverpool, he replied "I think I will but it's something we have to speak about internally." that's about it

i think it's making a MASSIVE leap (and not a wise one) to equate fielding a "weaker side" with throwing out our reserves against top-of-the-league Liverpool

wouldn't be surprised if we saw the likes of van Ginkel and Salah starting if he does decide to field a less experienced (i.e. "weaker" side), but that certainly doesn't mean we're just gonna lie down at Anfield

Dtrip77 and Wrath repped this.
  25. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't know if anyone is actually expecting reserves to feature in the squad, I just think it'd be exciting to see one or two play, especially in a game like this. Obviously that could also prove to be a terrible decision.

----------Schwarzer----------
    Cesar---Cahill---Ivan---Cole
    ---Lamps---Mikel---Matic---
    Salah-------Ba-------Schürrle

Something like this is much more realistic for what I'd actually expect to see. Luiz may be playing in the backline too; there's no possible way we can field a team without risking an injury for at least one or two of the defenders

hudson hooligan repped this.