RSL 2014, Game 8: Vancouver Whitecaps at RSL, Saturday, April 26, 2014 @ 7:30 UDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by El-ahrairah, Apr 21, 2014.

1. JZK316

JZK316 Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Land of Leprechauns
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I think this is needed.

SenordrummeR2 and DrownedElf repped this.
  2. WasatchDuck

WasatchDuck Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Downtown
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Why even bother covering it? They don't cover the practice field up the road and that pitch looks absolutely perfect. It's almost like they're trying to do too much instead of letting nature do it's thing.

15 to 32 repped this.
  3. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Rio Tinto needs better fertilizer. Have some of the kids from your apartment complex over?

RSLer, 15 to 32, realsparta and 2 others repped this.
  4. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't the reason for the crap field because of the machinery used to clear out all the snow in case we hosted the final? You can tell it looks like it was driven through and hasn't quite recovered yet.

So my hopes were raised earlier in the week when I thought I'd be able to go, only to be crushed the following day. I'm going to hate missing the game, especially if it rains. I love watching/playing soccer in the rain. Fixing my car in the rain, however, will be a lot of fun. :rolleyes:

15 to 32 repped this.
  5. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #55 BalanceUT, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    Sabra repped this.
  6. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the field issues were from the grass getting scalped by plows from the Portland playoff game.

Amazed they don't have rollers on whatever they used to keep it from gouging the field out.

The fact that they tear it up with Rugby for a few bucks makes me ill.

Hopefully the world cup window will give time/heat to really regrow the sum-bitch.

7. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be interesting to see what kind of crowd we get out to tomorrow's game. Seems like we don't get weather like this very often - anyone got a feel for how heavy rain and a soaked field will affect each side?

8. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wet fields favor the short passing game. Long passes over the top do not fly as far. With our lack of turf, once those long passes hit the ground they are going to be moving faster that the passer intended. Offensively, Plata will be crucial more than usual. Aggressive attackers have an edge over defenders in wet conditions, and he fits the bill there. I do not know how used to wet conditions the Whitecaps are...doesn't BC Place have a retractable roof? I do not know if they train in the elements or under a roof.

10. RSL Punk 2

RSL Punk 2 Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's the LifeVantage convention this weekend; just what we all needed, another fanbase that'll need a little training before they're ready for primetime. Let's just hope someone clued them in to the Xango faux pas. I'm pretty sure it was the first (maybe second?) year of their sponsorship, and the game they attended during their convention everyone was wearing nice orange Xango T-shirts. Trouble was, we were playing Houston . . .

11. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
  12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    shameless plug on my preview
    I think the amount of water that the field takes and, more specifically, how the field takes it will be key to the game.
    Vancouver, IMO, would benefit from a field that speeds up play but doesn't cause it to get sloppy with footing. Mattocks on a field that is allowed to slot in balls will kill us. If the pitch is too poor for him to get great footing, though, we'll have eliminated his skill without having to really do anything but praise the rain gods.

TheBiff, RSLer and 2nd Mouse repped this.
  13. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff, 15. I'm hoping Vancouver pushes up far enough that it gives us some opportunities to counter. It'll be a good show.

14. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I wonder who the designated 'boo' victim will be this week?

15. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Can't be Mattocks, too obvious. How about Pedro Morales, because "there can be only one..."

16. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I'd choose manneh. I think a younger player might actually let that get in his head.

17. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Teibert.

18. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prediction: RSL 2 Vancouver 0 Rimando ties the all time shutout record and RSL keeps pace with both Seattle and Dalllas. Dallas up a goal at the half but down a man. Hoping Espindola can put one past Seitz.
    Edit:
    posted a couple seconds too soon, my wish came thru. Espindola ties it up!:)

19. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Espindola has been more critical for DC than EJ so far.
    Probably at a fraction of the salary.

Anyways, I'm excited for this one. I can't remember the last rainy game I've gone to, hopefully the crappy part of the field sucks an entire Vancouver player into the void.

20. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 goals and a assist for Fabi, sorry guys I do miss seeing him a RSL jersey.

21. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Twitter/Instagram #RSL XI: Rimando; Beltran, Borchers, Schuler, Wingert; Beckerman, Mulholland, Grabavoy, Morales; Sabo, Plata

#RSL BENCH: Attinella, Maund, Mansally, Stertzer, Velasquez, Sandoval, Garcia

RSLEast repped this.
  22. RSLEast

RSLEast Member

Jan 26, 2008
    East?
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Makes me very happy to see Plata back in the mix.

Ismitje repped this.
  23. RSLEast

RSLEast Member

Jan 26, 2008
    East?
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yup. Happy.

24. d1ddy

d1ddy Member

Oct 8, 2008
    upstate
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, both Plata and Sabo had to put their shots in ONE spot to beat the keeper/defense, and they both did. Great finishes from both.

Also, chemistry in the midfield and forwards is great right now.

BalanceUT repped this.