US/Canada cups - NASL Edition

Discussion in 'NASL' started by WhiteStar Warriors, Mar 8, 2013.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you first have to make the playoffs right?

So for American teams that make the playoffs you are right.

I would say the easiest way is the Canadian Championship.

Then again, using your standard (only counting playoffs), maybe the CFU championship is the easiest way to make the CCL.

But, I agree if we keep it specifically to American MLS teams, then yes once you make the playoffs, winning the MLS cup is the easiest way into the CCL.

Edit: Technically in the Open cup, you do not have to win a single game, if you advance on PKs every single game.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're playing MLS teams in the MLS Cup playoffs, too, though. Not second and third division teams. (Obviously, MLS teams end up playing MLS teams in the USOC as well, but I doubt anyone has run the gantlet of nothing but MLS teams (I don't think it's possible, first off) to win the Open Cup.)

For a lower division team, the USOC or the Canadian Championships (or Caribbean ones) are the only route to the CCL.

But then we're left with the idea of, "Who the hell really cares about the CONCACAF Champions League?" So what? It's not UEFA. It's just not. It's Wednesday Night In Veracruz or some such crap. For a lower-division team to think about glory in the CCL is like a high school kid thinking Kate Upton's not going to just go to the prom with him, but is actually going to date him.

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    MLS teams do not play other MLS teams all the way through the Open Cup but they mostly do if they make it to the final.

DC United faced four consecutive MLS teams last year to win the USOC. And they won all four games outright.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that was an outlier and you know it. And only in the last two years have MLS teams had to play as many as five games.

In 2013, DC beat Richmond (in PKs), then Philadelphia, New England, Chicago and Salt Lake.
    In 2012, Kansas City beat Orlando, Colorado, Dayton, Philadelphia and Seattle.
    In 2011, Seattle beat Kitsap, Los Angeles, Dallas and Chicago.
    In 2010, Seattle beat Portland (then in D2), Los Angeles, Chivas and Columbus.
    In 2009, Seattle beat Portland (then in D2), Kansas City, Houston and DC United.
    In 2008, DC United beat Rochester, Chicago, New England and Charleston.
    In 2007, New England beat Rochester, Harrisburg, Carolina and Dallas.
    In 2006, Chicago beat Kansas City, New England, DC United and Los Angeles, BUT never had to leave home to do so (and Jaqua was offside in the final).
    In 2005, Los Angeles beat Chivas, San Jose, Minnesota and Dallas.
    In 2004, Kansas City beat Atlanta, Dallas, San Jose and Chicago.

My point was this: the MLS Cup playoffs are a much harder road than the Open Cup. You're playing better competition in the MLS Cup playoffs. You're not only playing MLS teams, they've earned the right to be in that tournament, whereas the USOC is an everybody-into-the-pool situation.

5. El Duderino

El Duderino Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Tell that to DC United :D

6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I didn't actually know. I only looked up 2013 yesterday. My recollection was mostly MLS teams in the last few rounds which increased the odds of it happening. I'll admit 4 in a row was unusual.

Still, often MLS teams are playing three straight against MLS opponents.

I'll still contend that the main point is at least arguable. However, it is less so with the MLS Cup loser no longer automatically qualifying.
    I still don't think that it is a lot easier for MLS teams to qualify from the USOC.

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #132 ceezmad, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Ok the first Cup participation for NASL this year starts tomorrow.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/2014-am...dule-announced-p155637&t=championship_article

I do not have a clue at what time this game will happen.

2014 Amway Canadian Championship schedule

23 April 2014 Preliminary round - first leg; Ottawa Fury FC v FC Edmonton

30 April 2014 Preliminary round - second leg; FC Edmonton v Ottawa Fury FC

730 Ottowa time I guess.

8. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Game tomorrow is at 7:30pm eastern time and 4:30 Pacific time, streamed live at :

canadasoccer.com/championship

Go Eddies!

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do they not just have a 5 team group? its only 6 more total games for the entire field.

Not really a fan of the Canadian Cup, it makes the two NASL sides have a one off series to eliminate one and keep the other while the 3 MLS sides don't have to do shit. All to save 6 total fixtures in Canada's signature club championship?

11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    What kind of a group are you suggesting? Right now there are 8 games total.

How are you getting 14 total games?

A five team group would be either 20 games if you play every opponent home-and-away or 10 games if you just play one leg each.

BTW, either of those would probably have a high percentage of meaningless games since you are only picking the group winner.

12. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see, i didn't realize they were no longer doing the round robin group.

13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #138 newtex, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    They haven't done that since Edmonton joined to make four teams.

2014 - 5 teams, knock-out, 8 total games
    2011-2013 - 4 teams, knock-out, 6 total games
    2008-2010 - 3 teams, group, 6 total games

Before that I believe the Cup was awarded based on the results of league games between the teams.

I can't see them jumping up to a lot more games any time soon. The 2015 tournament has been announced to be held in June and July. That surely means the current format will continue.

14. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  15. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ottawa Fury FC vs FC Edmonton 2nd leg tonight will be streamed online at :

www.canadasoccer.com and www.breakfasttelevision.ca

6:30pm Pacific /9:30pm Eastern

away goals rule in effect, scoreless draw will mean game goes to PK's, goals scored draw Ottawa advances, Edmonton win and they advance to play the MLS's Montreal Impact in the semi-finals.

American Football lines have been painted over for today's game, woo hoo!

16. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Edmonton 3 ottawa 1. 17 year old Hanson boakai showed everyone why he's the best young talent in canada.

18. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A side note, but, from the sportsnet.ca article:

"Call it the best-case scenario for the Ottawa Fury FC.
    The young franchise played to a 0-0 draw Wednesday night against FC Edmonton at Keith Harris Stadium in the first leg of the Amway Canadian Championship.
    Considering this was just the third game in franchise history for the Fury, head coach Marc Dos Santos was pleased with the draw.
    “This is four times 45 minutes and now we’re at halftime of the game,” said Dos Santos of the series. “If you asked me what would be the best score after leg one I would tell you I want to win 5-0. But the reality is, if you do tie, at least tie 0-0 at home.”"

this is why i don't like the away-goals tiebreaker for cup playoffs. only in soccer do you see teams playing for a 0-0 draw AT HOME in playoffs. i hope this won't start happening in MLS playoffs now that they have adopted the away-goals tiebreaker. does anyone know if the new NASL playoffs use the away-goals tiebreaker? i hope not, i'd much rather they just use the shootout. yes, it's a crapshoot, but at least then you get to see the ball go in the net...

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The NASL playoffs are single game knockouts. No away goal rule.

evan eleven repped this.
  20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By "playoffs" you really mean Championship series right? :p

21. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Fc edmonton 2 montreal impact 1

Hanson Boakai is the best 17 year old soccer player in both the u.s and canada. There, I said it.

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  22. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #147 Prosoccercdn, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    It feels so good to beat an MLS opponent, Boakai was phenominal on the pitch tonight! Great game!

Nonno’s 90th-minute goal gives FC Edmonton the win over Montreal Impact

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/05/...ives-fc-edmonton-the-win-over-montreal-impact

Montreal’s Jack McInerney made up for an earlier missed chance when he headed in a goal in the 55th minute to give Montreal a 1-0 lead.

Edmonton responded just seven minutes later after a brilliant individual effort from 17-year-old Hanson Boakai, clearly the best player in the game.

“A 17-year-old, for long periods of the game, was a joy to watch, no matter what team he was playing for,” said Miller. “We’re very proud to have him this year. He’s something different in this country.”

The young midfielder-turned-forward weaved his way through the Montreal box.

He then made a quick flick to Tomi Ameobi behind the Montreal defence. Ameobi made no mistake, burying the ball into the right side of the net past Montreal keeper Evan Bush.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he on loan from Vancouver?

24. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    No. He's from Edmonton. Last two games he sliced ottawa and montreal apart. I don't expect to keep him past this year. He went for a trail in Germany in this off season, and impressed.

25. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The U.S. Open Cup 3rd round pairings are out:

http://thecup.us/2014-us-open-cup-r...-as-teams-set-to-battle-for-matches-with-mls/

Here are the match-ups for NASL teams on May 28:

Brooklyn Italians SC (NPSL) / Jersey Express (PDL) winner at New York Cosmos (NASL)
    Belson Stadium (St. John’s Univ.); Queens, NY – 7:30 p.m. ET

Carolina Dynamo (PDL) / Charlotte Eagles (USL PRO) winner at Carolina RailHawks (NASL)
    WakeMed Soccer Park; Cary, NC – 7:30 p.m. ET

Atlanta Silverbacks (NASL) at Wilmington Hammerheads (USL PRO)
    Legion Stadium; Wilmington, NC – 7:30 p.m. ET
    OR
    Atlanta Silverbacks (NASL) at Chattanooga FC (NPSL)
    Finley Stadium; Chattanooga, TN – 7:30 p.m. ET

Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL) at Orlando City (USL PRO)
    ESPN Wide World of Sports; Kissimmee, FL – 7:30 p.m. ET
    OR
    Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL) at Ocala Stampede (PDL)
    Trinity Catholic High School; Ocala, FL – 7 p.m. ET

Red Force (USASA) / Laredo Heat (PDL) winner at Fort Lauderdale Strikers (NASL)
    Lockhart Stadium; Fort Lauderdale, FL – 7:45 p.m. ET

Dayton Dutch Lions (USL PRO) / Schwaben AC (USASA) winner at Indy Eleven (NASL)
    Carroll Stadium; Indianapolis, IN – 7:30 p.m. ET

NTX Rayados (USASA) / Austin Aztex (PDL) winner at San Antonio Scorpions (NASL)
    Toyota Field; San Antonio, TX – 8:30 p.m. ET

Minnesota United FC (NASL) at Des Moines Menace (USASA)
    Valley Stadium; West Des Moines, IA – 8:30 p.m. ET
    OR
    Real Colorado Foxes (PDL) at Minnesota United FC (NASL)
    National Sports Center; Blaine, MN – 8 p.m. ET