World Cup Travel - Internal Flights

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by Pablinsky, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Ashan Rama

Ashan Rama Member

Feb 18, 2014
    funnily enough after going to the 1001 bus line website they don't seem to cover Belo to Rio! Unless I've got it wrong (again)

2. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    They don't, she was probably referring to SP - Rio. Companies only cover limited areas. But don't worry, there are plenty of good ones, Cometa for example is pretty good and does BH - Rio. Services are similar all across the board, really.

3. JaWC2014

JaWC2014 Member

Rapids/FC Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 9, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need help please!
    If anyone sees a flight sale for any of the airlines, shoot me a PM. I am having a hard time finding a cheap flight from Rio to SP on June 19th and returning on the 20th. A couple of days ago I saw them for 280US now they are showing aroun 380US and up. Very frustrating! I do not want to take a bus to and from, but I will if I have to!
    Thanks in advance!

4. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    What time of the day d'you need these flights? Avianca is selling several for much less.

5. JaWC2014

JaWC2014 Member

Rapids/FC Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 9, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I tried looking at avianca online and when I put the search in, it tells me that there are no flights/routes for my selected cities (rio-sp).
    I would like to leave early in the morning around 8am and leave the same day at around midnight or the next day at around 8 or 9 am.

6. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Are you looking in Avianca Brasil's website? It's a common mistake.

7. JaWC2014

JaWC2014 Member

Rapids/FC Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 9, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That did the trick. THANKS!

Return flight at 11pm for 127BRZ!! Thats great!

8. ccvargas89

ccvargas89 Member

Feb 24, 2014
    hamilton, Ontario
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Hey guys, have any of you booked flights with Avianca, for domestic flights? I've flown with Avianca many times it is a well recognized airline, so i booked a domestic flight with them from sao paulo to cuiaba, they have charged my credit card, but have not sent me a confirmation of flight. Also haven't been able to get through to them on the phone. Anyone flying with them for domestic flights?

9. CA_eagles

CA_eagles Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Austin
    Club:
    Club América
    They will call you first to confirm some information and then they will issue the ticket. They said they are doing that for security reasons. It took them 3 days to call me to confirm it. Just wait for a couple of days and they will call you on the phone number you provided during the reservation.

ccvargas89 repped this.
  10. jupal

jupal Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Switzerland
    Did you make an account on the domestic site I really would do that vefore booking because you can change your flights and all that there really weird that they sent no email I got mine immediately :/

11. BUDOKAN

BUDOKAN Member

May 31, 2006
    Tokyo
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hi.
    I am planning to attend
    M50 @ Rio, on June28
    and
    M52 @ Recife on June29.

Then I need to have a flight and currently Avianca looks most reasonable and affordable but one anxiety.
    There is a connection at Fortaleza but only 30 min between flight O69001 and 69002.

These flight number make me imagine that Avianca use a same aircraft in these 2 legs.
    If so, there is no problem and I don't mind even if there was 1 hour or 2 hours delay.
    But how can I confirm it?

Attached Files:

12. PierreRenard

PierreRenard Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Avianca seems to be ok, but I've discovered recently that Azul belongs to Jetblue, so I think that Azul is probably the best airline in Brazil. Can anyone confirm it? Not so sure about Gol and TAM, though.

ccvargas89 repped this.
  13. Ashan Rama

Ashan Rama Member

Feb 18, 2014
    thank god i waited, loads of 1st class buses going from Belo to Rio overnight after semi final on 8 July.

14. ccvargas89

ccvargas89 Member

Feb 24, 2014
    hamilton, Ontario
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Hi i did make an account, and they sent me a reservation number and e-mail, but they never sent a confirmation. I have not been able to contact them from Canada. But they have charged my credit card already, i just want to confirm with them that i'm good to go

15. Ashan Rama

Ashan Rama Member

Feb 18, 2014
    update - Avianca responded to my email and it appears they will refund my card within 30 days. Let's see

16. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Actually looks like a connection with a 30 minute layover, different planes, different flight number. If the 1st leg is on time then you should be ok, if its 15-20 minutes delayed then you hope they hold the plane for you, if more than 30 late then you are screwed. Tight connections are super stressful.

17. ccvargas89

ccvargas89 Member

Feb 24, 2014
    hamilton, Ontario
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    From what my Brazilian friends say Azul is the "cheap" airline but it's fine no problem. They also say that TAM is probably the most popular airline in brazil. correct me if im wrong i'm only going by what my friends say!

18. ArifA

ArifA Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Can someone tell me how I can book a flight on Avianca from the US? The booking page asks for a CPF number and it seems to be mandatory field. Thanks!

19. El_Bulla

El_Bulla Member

Jan 21, 2007
    I don't know if the site stil does this after the new layout, but back when I bought tickets it automatically put my passport number into the CPF field. If it doesn't do it automatically, just manually insert your passport number into the CPF.

20. Ashan Rama

Ashan Rama Member

Feb 18, 2014
    click on the US flag near the top right and you won't need a CPF

21. ArifA

ArifA Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    got it, thanks!

22. JaWC2014

JaWC2014 Member

Rapids/FC Barcelona
    United States
    Mar 9, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those making the trip from Rio to SP for the URU vs ENG game, I found a flight last night. Total 232 USD roundtrip.
    Leaving with GOL airlines at 8:10 and returning with Avianca on the same day at 11:10pm.

23. lucasc

lucasc Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Brazil
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    It was like this at some point, but that was several years ago. Now they all have similar fares, and Azul has the best service, in my opinion. Their planes are two-seaters, they still offer snacks (yeah, I know, grasping at straws here), most flights have live TV...

24. sunraph

sunraph New Member

Apr 24, 2014
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    As a new guy and a future WC2014 traveler, just wanted to say hi and add a couple of things to the discussion. I'm sure many of you know that, but for those who don't, there are two airlines in Brazil that are members of Global Alliances. TAM is a One World member, and Azul is a Star member. It means that if you have frequent miles with any of the member airlines, you can book award flights on TAM or Azul. Availability is surprisingly decent, especially from Sampa, Brasilia, and Rio, but other cities, as well.

Examples: if you have miles with American Airlines, US Air, British, LAN, and other One World airlines (http://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview), you can book on TAM. If you have miles with United, Lufthansa, LOT or other Star Alliance airlines (http://www.staralliance.com/en/about/member_airlines/), you can book Azul. If you don't have miles with anyone, ask your friends, because in most cases, they can book it for you. If all else fails, in rare cases, it might be worth buying the miles when tickets are too expensive.

Also, on overnight travel. If you take a sleeper bus, they have flat beds, and are quite comfortable. I rode from Iguassu to Curitiba a few years back, and it was fine. The only thing that woke me up at times was the crazy speed. I swear he was pushing the poor bus beyond the limit.

Anyway, FWIW. Sorry if it has been discussed already, but I haven't dug too deep.

25. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    My cousin in Brazil gave me the run down on the airlines. Azul is the best low cost carrier but she said that you have to be careful with booking because it might say the flight is leaving from Sao Paulo, but really, it's Campinas-Viracopos, which is about 100 kilometers from the capital. She said that TAM and Avianca are the best hands down in Brazil. She said that Gol was garbage but said if you get a good deal, it's might be worth it for you.

Her general rule of thumb is that when comparing prices, if Avianca and TAM are no more than 50 Reais more, she'll book with them as opposed to Azul or Gol - of course, this will depend on when you want to leave. But, given that we all will have pretty tight travel windows, we may not really have a choice with which carrier to fly on.