Maryland Terps - 2014

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by No shinguards, Jan 21, 2014.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    At this rate in just a few short weeks we should be able to piece together the entire fall schedule.

2. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final game of the spring.. No real difference.. UMD was better than St Johns on the day.. but can't create any real chances up top to get goals...Numerous rotations through the striker position. .even Chris from the Back line was given a go... his speed looked impressive, but still no finish...

Uh ohh....

3. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    yep, I liked the combination of speed and immobility with Shinsky/Chris and Dutch kid/Kabilek.

I'm positive that Sasho will have figured it out sometime in the fall.

4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Who wouldn't, what's not to like?

5. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he was pointing out that he didn't put Shinsky /Chris on the field together.. they were paired with the immobility of The dutch kid or Kabelik... which essentially meant - they were playing up top alone...

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Thanks for clarifying. Perhaps I should clarify myself: I'm not a big fan of immobility in a soccer player.

7. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In your opinion, which is a more important factor on top.. speed, or ball control... ( if you had to pick)..

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    After self-confidence, creativity, courage, agility and intelligence? At the top level, forwards need both speed and ball control, but I would vote for ball control, as top-level defenders seem to defend speedy (but less-skillful) attackers pretty well. In my personal experience, players with better ball control make better teammates as well. Was that a trick question?

9. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No - As was mentioned.. Chris has good speed....and you originally commented on "speed" (not ball control)..... so I was curios as to your take on that...

10. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    Maryland v Michigan on 9/12 at 5:00 in Ann Arbor. That's a Friday night so maybe a TV game but can't confirm. I expect the Ultras to turn out in force.

11. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Only one thing matters if you play up top - do you score goals ? Doesn't matter fast, slow, big, small, clever, clueless, technical or a donkey ... do you score goals - if yes you can be a forward, if no you can be an outside midfielder (small, fast) or a center back (big, less pacey).

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    So it was a trick question! ;)

13. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    NoShins - thanks for the clarification.

I think these tall immobile kids could best be served by starting a moving company....

14. BaltimoreSoccerFan

Jun 18, 2008
    Are there anymore recruits coming in for the terps this year?

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Don't know, but I hope so - know anyone eligible who can score goals?

16. BaltimoreSoccerFan

Jun 18, 2008
    I mean typically, do some recruits show up in the fall? or is this incoming class that was supposed to have Romain Gall, already on campus?

17. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There will be more recruits in the fall... Many public school districts "prohibit" early graduation, or early College entry, however you want to put it... And its getting tougher.....But on Saturday, I sat in the stands with at least one recruit who will be there.. of course.. he is a MIDFIELDER...........go figure...

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Why hasn't Sasho announced him and the rest of his class? Is there some mystery recruit they're hoping to get locked in that they want to include in the release?

It's not like the Terps haven't done multiple releases before.

19. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gosh - I'm not sure.. Tell you what.. I'm gonna call Him TODAY, and DEMAND the immediate release of this information!

I'm sure he'll get right on it..

20. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    Was it Campbell or the kid from Jersey? Or was it someone we don't publicly know about already?

Gall (expected) and Hamilton (probably a bit of a surprise) going pro are making this upcoming season a little more interesting for the wrong reasons.

21. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    5pm? Do you guys not have lights?

22. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    Yes, Michigan Soccer Stadium has lights. The 5:00 pm kickoff is unusual, which leads me to believe this game will be televised by BTN or ESPNU.

Hararea repped this.
  23. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Hamilton shouldn't have been a surprise. He was already in pre-season with TFC's first team two years ago.

It's a shame that Francois didn't make the grade academically, though, and I still don't understand the whole Schillo Tshuma GA thing. Even so, the Big Ten looks pretty manageable this fall.

BaltimoreSoccerFan repped this.
  24. BaltimoreSoccerFan

Jun 18, 2008
    So we have no good forwards coming in? No strikers? I was looking forward to the team entering the B1G with a bang.

25. BaltimoreSoccerFan

Jun 18, 2008
    Also does anybody know the status of the stadium Sasho is hoping to build? I know he was seeking an initial donation of 5-10 million to get it started. Last update was from a year ago that said progress has been made.