Real Madrid vs Bayern Munich | UEFA Champions League Semi-Finals - 1st Leg|4.23.14[R]

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by YOUNGSTARS87, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think it's hilarious that you don't see the difference between how we played, and let's say how Chelsea played against Atletico. Maybe you need to watch more Sesame Street to know we had a different number of attacking players throughout the match (I'll give you a small hint since you need it: it's not 1) and when we attacked we had an even bigger difference.

I doubt Chelsea's midfielders were as tired as Isco, Modric and Di Maria because surprise surprise, midfielders working to get back the ball does not equal them being defensive and staying around the penalty area all night long. The fact they actively took part in all our attacks was a dead give away.

Ahmadi8 and Bear Crotch repped this.
  2. Hsain85

Hsain85 Member+

Mar 28, 2006
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The first team to undo the tiki-taka was Guus Hiddink's Chelsea, but Tom Henning went blind that night. Hiddink's tactics were far better that Mourinhos. Chelsea were so dangerous on the counter and could have easily scored 3 or 4 even without the uncalled penalties, but Drogba and his mates were so ********ing wasteful that night.

Lurtz repped this.
  3. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I dont think Carlo copied Mourinho's tactics per say, I think Mourinho's biggest contribution, which Bayern, Inter, Brazil and us made good use of, is that when playing against tiki-taka, the correct approach is to close down their midfielders and aggressively block their passing lanes, then counterattack quickly with numbers. Prior to that teams would either suicidally play their natural game and got destroyed or simply sit very deep and park the bus (like what even Inter did in the group stages). He did that with Inter in the 3-1 win, played very cautiosly against Barcelona for whatever reason, then reintroduced that gameplan in the CDR win and stuck to that ever since. Its no coincidence his results against Barcelona improved a LOT with time.

4. RoyalWhites

RoyalWhites Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't know why people insist on thanking Mourinho. Counter attacking is part of soccer and sports since its inception.

surgeon, raul_elmatador and dmar repped this.
  5. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Madrid fans, what are your thoughts on Ronaldo in the second half? What I found remarkable about him (aside of being the best in the world of course, duh) was how he - along with some other Madrid-players was pressing Bayern's defense in some moments of the game, it was so efficient that Neuer even made mistakes which led to you getting the ball back.

Yes - and there is a difference in being successful and being unsuccesful at it.

6. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I am a little worried about the euphoriac mode about Madrid right now. Its only halftime and we have a long way to go before making it to the final. Lots of talk of the decima already, about how this whole season is a success, etc..., stuff that should be saved till after the 2nd leg at least.

The boys played excellently, surprised pretty much everyone out there, and defeated the invincible Bayern. Very proud of all players, especially our defenders who fought the entire game. Lets replicate this performance next week and then let them get their well deserved plaudits.

7. Tobias19

Tobias19 Member+

Feb 2, 2014
    Sweden
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    #1082 Tobias19, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    I agree, but i cant rep your post:p

Now i can:thumbsup:

8. libertao

libertao Member+

Mar 15, 2006
    Nowhere to go but up after 5-0 ;). Also, Barcelona have been in decline as they aged, made some terrible transfers, and lost Guardiola.

Not only that, but we don't even have to look far back before Mourinho to find successful defensive counterattacking tactics.

[​IMG]

9. plyka

plyka Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ronaldo is one of the best passers of the ball. People don't notice because he doesn't use that facet of his game very often, lol. But he is an incredible all around footballer, he can do it all. He can see the game and anticipate movements and weight the ball perfectly. His lacking is that he needs to look to create more. When you are WPOTY you're not evaluated based on your personal performance, it's not about how many goals you score. At that point, you are evaluated by your team, it's about how many goals you create and your team score.

Parking the bus in Germany will not work with this team. Madrid was a constant threat when they were able to retain possession and move forward, they looked mighty threatening. However, they (mostly the back line) gave away possession far too easily. This resulted in Bayern having opportunity after opportunity. If you have 10 "possessions" then you have to be efficient and make them all count. If you have a 100 "possessions" then it turns into a numbers game and you don't have to be efficient. If you have a few thousand "possessions" then it becomes completely a numbers game --kick 2000 balls into the box aimlessly, and you're bound to have 10-20 of them randomly fall to your player in perfect position. So it is a necessity that Madrid are not so careless with possession, that they limit the number of "possessions" that Bayern have. If they park the bus and allow onslaught after onslaught, even with perfect defense they will eventually get lucky.

No one is saything that Madrid should change their strategy. But when they have possession they need to be more careful with it and provide some semblence of cohesiveness.

Tobias19 repped this.
  10. RoyalWhites

RoyalWhites Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Capello did it too but suddenly Mou gets all the credit.

Thank you Mou and thank you for showing Ancelotti? GTFO.

11. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Man, you guys must have tons of time discussing former coaches. Off to watch the EL games.

12. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You guys think it's hilarious how almost every Buyern fan is sure they will win in Munchen while hoping that Guardiola can play a different style of football. I mean, is that pure LOL or what...

13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nobody cares about what they think or their feelings.

14. libertao

libertao Member+

Mar 15, 2006
    You are 13 posts away from 25,000 by the way. Congrats in advance.

15. Karthik

Karthik Member

Jun 23, 2007
    India
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Do people who say Carlo just implemented Mou tactics actually believe Mou would have started with Angel-Alsonso-Modric-Isco in a game like this ?

libertao repped this.
  16. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Oh come on, copied Mourinho? There's nothing new about ''Mourinho's tactics''. Let's not prasie him for a tactic that has been used for decades. You can give him credit for finding the one that suits us better and so did Carlo, the difference is, Mou needed two year, while Ancelotti figured it out in half a year.

17. Glide84

Glide84 Member+

Jan 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The Bayern overconfidence is great, how much of it is false bravado I don't know but who cares. Either they really think they are superior and keep trying the mindless possession game or they are genuinely worried which has it's own advantage.

We just need to stay focused and not do anything ill-advised (Pepe or Ramos). The crowd will be in it so we need to keep our cool and probably weather the initial storm. We are going to get chances without a doubt, just need to take them.

18. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Well Isco probably wouldn't be here for a start and Di Maria might be gone too so I'm going to give this scenario a strong "no" :D

19. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    José needed 2 years to figure that out against the greatest Barcelona of all time, while your current coach figured it out after losing 2 league Derbies to a very mediocre (compared to the side José had to face) Barcelona-side.

Big difference imo.

José is a whining hypocrite but i don't think you can compare both coaches without acknowledging the fact that your main rival was much stronger during José's time at Madrid.

I have watched your games a lot this season, and the biggest differences are that you significantly became better in terms of ball retention and ball possession. This new 4-4-2 style of game where you give your wingers Di Maria and Isco defensive duties was a great move by Ancelotti and brought you the desired results against Barcelona and now against Bayern.

Just my 0,02 cents.

20. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Why wouldn't they be confident though? They have more than enough talent to overturn this lead. What are the chances they're attackers have another night like last night? Or that Pep is completely out coached two games in a row? Even he isn't that bad :D I like our chances to go through but yeah the hard work isn't over and we do need to be smart and even more committed than we were in the first leg.

21. plyka

plyka Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Ancelotti really needs to stick Varane in there. It won't happen because he didn't work Varane into the #1 CB during the less important matches. I think he was afraid of rocking the boat too much.

22. nicafornica

nicafornica Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    exactly....it is counter attacking but if i remember, we pressured the shit out of barca.

Now, i did not see that against tiki taka.

23. Glide84

Glide84 Member+

Jan 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I hear you, they weren't sharp and will probably be more so come Tuesday (hopefully our attackers will be sharper too). Pep will adjust, most likely player selection but I think the last thing he wants is to open the game up.

Overconfidence is different than confidence though. One tends to lead to more mistakes than the other, with our counterattacking style it gives us more chances.

24. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    How do we even know Pepe is fit? He was subbed out due to injury? (ankle?).

I haven't heard anything since. Any news?

25. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The difference between Carlo and Mourinho (barring the obvious flexibility Carlo possesses) is that Carlo's version of "Mourinho tactics" works. I think that's largely in part to his man management skills as a coach.

The players never fully responded to Mourinho when they were asked to play defensively, but they are with Carlo. Mourinho's man management tactics can't work at a big club like Madrid, much in the same way that his playing style won't work at a big club.

I personally see a huge difference in Carlo's strategy yesterday compared to Mourinho's the past few years, but that's me.

We can knock Carlo for plenty of things, but they can't be any of the following: 1. Learning from his tactical mistakes. or flexibility ; 2. Getting the players to fight for him.

Two things I think we were missing from Mourinho, especially the later.

In the end, I don't think it's fair to say that what we've done over the last two games is the same way we played for three years under Mou. It may not be comparing apples and oranges but in terms of similarity it's at the very most comparing a Granny Smith to a McIntosh.

Karthik, RMSocrates, Akramzizou and 2 others repped this.