NASL legitimacy thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by Onionsack, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    #51 Bluesfan, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2014
    Uh, how about can't pay their rent, players, and the only owner who had any cash (Warner Brothers) basically gave them away. Pinton, Chinaglia, and the other charlatans lied to a bunch of players and bailed on the MISL in midseason, the NASL before the season began (they bailed on the league before the league dissolved), and then suspended their own summer exhibition schedule.

Why? Because they were broke and they couldn't pay rent, staff or players.

Is the New York Freaking Times a good enough source for you?

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/02/23/sports/cosmos-fold-indoor-squad.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/1985/06/22/sports/cosmos-abandon-schedule-plans.html

If someone has a corporation and runs a restaurant, which then closes because his staff walks out and his vendors cut him off because he can't pay them, then thirty years later opens a new place with the same name and logo, is it the same restaurant? Hardly.

But, by all means continue on .... The rest of us like to use a bit of common sense.

CHHSfan and HailtotheKing repped this.
  2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Onionsack, we don't close threads because you want them to be closed. And even though it seems no one is as intelligent as you, personal attacks and insults will not be tolerated. Say your peace and leave it at that. Further violations will result in cards and possible ban.

3. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which would be relevant if you were arguing in front of a court about whether the current Cosmos legal entity was a valid successor to the previous Cosmos legal entity.

It's not relevant to, for example, a fan of the original Cosmos who now roots for the Red Bulls, because that person is not rooting for the intellectual property or the legal entity. That fan gets to make up his or her own mind about whether this new team has enough of a connection to the original team to require loyalty based on memories of the Meadowlands.[/QUOTE][/quote]

4. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are a nation of laws, that is how disputes are resolved in a civilized society. The fact they can back up their claim that they are who they are is paramount to this discussion. I am glad some of you have moved on to accept the legality of the Cosmos and their right to be the Cosmos along with everything that comes with it.

I agree to an extent that each individual will form opinions an beliefs based on what they choose to believe or want to believe. Millions of people believe in God in spite of zero verifiable evidence of its existence. If a Red Bull fan that used to be a Cosmos fan himself feels they aren't the same, that is his internal choice, but once you go outside your own internal belief and publicly state your opinion, then you open yourself up to scrutiny.

A person might "feel" justified in killing another person but we don't decide things based on "feelings" be base it on law and facts. Now he will go to jail and he can still feel justified all he wants.

In your example all that really happened is a former Cosmos fan now is emotionally connected to another team, and the Cosmos came back. All that makes him is a former Cosmos fan.

5. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't know how many more times this can be said before it sinks in:

If the restaurant in question remains an active business entity with the state and he reopens the restaurant later its the same restaurant. The reason we keep going over this exercise is because it seems counter intuitive to many people.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they were one terrible, terrible soccer team. I've seen some toothless attackes. I've NEVER EVER EVER seen a team go 28 years without scoring a goal.

HailtotheKing and Onionsack repped this.
  7. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude just let it go. It's clear that a lot of people, including myself, don't believe in your view point. Just drop it and be done with it already.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So every customer who visits a prostitute, does, in fact, have a huge ****?

HailtotheKing and Zoidberg repped this.
  9. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    #59 Zoidberg, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    LOL. Funniest thing u ever posted.

Also, I love the man...he has had dinner at my dads house, but I could get Pele do do anything for enough money and publicity. My German Shepard's are trained about as well.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trayvon Martin's parents' ears just perked up. (OK, OK, cheap shot. And probably not enough time has passed for it to be funny. Apologies.)

Onionsack repped this.
  11. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool with me, don't bring it up then.

12. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... and stop slapping unnecessary comments/opinion about it for absolutely no reason (you know, how this thread was created to begin with).

13. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    He's so smart he forgot.

14. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You went a step further than me, but yes, if he hadn't done that this thread would have never happened. Thanks.

15. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Galaxy and MLS fan, I can tell you that this thread has done more damage to NASL legitimacy than anything else.

For the sake of my sanity I hope the Aztec name stays dead and buried, because I don't think I could suffer through a 3 page arguement about who's more authentic, a team that hasn't played for 33 years or a team that's getting ready to celebrate their 20th anniversary.

FoxBoro 143 repped this.
  16. Onionsack

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know right, like i saw this thread featured on CNN, Fox and MSNBC and my friend heard from a guy who used to date this girl who knows this kid who totally eavesdropped on Garber and Peterson at 31 flavors last night!

17. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, sorry. [/sarcasticexaggeration]

18. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He ? He who ?

I went a step further ?

You <--- put the added and unnecessary details to a comment (for absolutely no reason at all) that got it all going and derailed the other thread.

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize of course that entirety of all NASL is about the Cosmos, but I found it interesting last night reading SBnation that there is a report that the Chivas USA rebrand might include a name change to the LA Aztecs. Considering NASL/Traffic own that name, I wonder what will happen if the report proves true.

Is the NASL legitimacy only limited to the NASL with MLS running around with NASL names? Is the MLS doing a good job in maintaining the NASL tradition? Should NASL sell Aztecs to MLS?

Here's the article:
    http://www.thegoatparade.com/2014/4...nounced-after-world-cup-san-cadilla-la-aztecs

20. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well, considering the NASL was ultimately a failure, I'd say MLS has greatly surpassed the tradition of the NASL by actually surviving and thriving well after the NASL hobbled to their death during their 17 year run. We are in a new era of MLS tradition. A much more successful one.

As for that article, most last week seemed to think the Aztecs name was just thrown in by the Mexican writer. At least from where I stand, I don't see any movement or interest in many LA fans wanting the Aztecs name. Slapping an old NASL team name on anything isn't going to make it a success. Indy Eleven and the SA Scorpions didn't need NASL nostalgia or tradition to be successful. On the other hand, the Fort Lauderdale Strikers name isn't doing anything for the club anymore because Traffic has forgotten they exist. They once again have the anonymity of Miami FC. Which proves that it has nothing to do with the name and everything to do with ownership.

Antique repped this.
  21. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I think the current NASL would have been better off using a different name for their league. They get all of the drawbacks of people confusing the two leagues, and of not having a new identity of their own. And they get less of the benefit of continuity, because of their minor league status.

If the NASL was serious about trying to be an MLS rival, the NASL name might make sense. For a second division league, I think it's a lot harder to justify.

That's not to say that the NASL can't develop its identity under the NASL brand, even in the lower divisions; I just think it'll take longer.

That said, right now there are as many NASL team names in MLS (Earthquakes, Whitecaps, Sounders) as there are in the new NASL (Rowdies, Cosmos, Strikers). I don't think the historic team names are central to either league's identity, so I don't see the Aztecs name as an issue of "legitimacy."

22. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potentially legitimate.
    Just read through this thread, I don't know why? But how does legitimacy hinge on the names of teams? For me legitimacy of the league relies on the ability to build on what looks to be a stable base they are at now. MLS has a huge effect on this too. If MLS stops expansion at 24, there will be a lot of "major league" markets available for the NASL. The current teams in Indianapolis,Minneapolis, San Antonio, New York, Tampa Bay are "major league" markets. Jacksonville and OKC potentially joining next season that is a pretty solid core of cities to have in the a second tier league. If the NASL can expand in open markets such as San Francisco, Detroit, Cincinnati, Nashville, San Diego, Phoenix, Milwaukee and Cleveland tv deals will come, endorsement deals will grow. NASL could compete with MLS.

Before anybody gets too worked up about this, keep in mind that I'm talking potential. This would call for the new teams to have a similar following the Indy Eleven got, and growth from the current teams. I think MLS will keep expanding past 24. I also think the gap between MLS and NASL is huge right now. It is like there is no second division right now, just 1st, 3a, and 3b.

Skippysasquirrel repped this.
  23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think IF they could get even some of those markets (and I don't think they'll get even half of them), they could be a viable second division that would make our soccer landscape even healthier and more interesting.

But they're not going to compete with MLS. They're operating from 15 years and several billion dollars behind. All that would happen would be an increased call for MLS to take in the more successful clubs, as it has been doing. And not everybody likely to invest in the NASL is going to be MLS-worthy from a capitalization standpoint.

Understood.

And I think that's a lot to ask.

Why has Indy done it and the others have not? It's not like Peter Wilt died and took the secret to his grave.

Growth from everybody else, when there is growth, has been slow and limited. Carolina's not going to 10k anytime soon, and they have a former MLS GM running the show. Ft. Lauderdale is moribund. OKC and Jax are untested.

Right now, it would be like me telling you all the things I'm going to do after I make a million bucks.

24. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The NASL is not going to ever compete direct with the NASL. Landing clubs in markets with other pro clubs has and is happening and will likely continue.
    Now a NASL club moving into the MLS is the likely scenerio.
    With some bigger markets will come with more sponsorships and such but NASL continueing to operate within a D2 league which would have the potential to close the gap between D2 and D3 making it much better on and off field product.
    Money within the ownership groups will distingguish what will make a club in a city successful at the D2 or D3 level.
    Historic or new names will both work with the money behind it to market it.

25. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess compete means different things. I don't think NASL will be vying for top billing, but if everything falls into place the league can be more competitive with MLS on the field. They could compete for more of the $$ spent on soccer in North America.