Pre/PBP/Post: New York v. Houston Dynamo, Wednesday, April 23

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Apr 21, 2014.

?

Result?

Poll closed Apr 23, 2014.
  1. Dynamo win

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. Dynamo tie

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Dynamo lose

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. One in a row is a streak, right? Right?

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They put in Cochran for Rico then Carrasco came in for Creavalle in Rico's spot but that's not the point - the point is down 2-0 does anyone think Carrasco will create enough to close that gap? I don't think he's bad, but dynamic he is not.

That said, the backline defending and organization and hustle was horrific last night. One thing out of these Jamaican players like Taylor and Watson and even Cummings that I see is that they are maddeningly inconsistent over the course of a season and even within a game

2. DeuceFive

DeuceFive Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Exactly! Either Dom would have to commit to some overloaded midfield formation like a 3-5-2 where we can afford to have a CAM (Lopez) that may not defend well or even leave one side of the field very often OR take a Pilgrimage to a soccer Mecca and find himself in another part of this soccer religion, mainly on the offensive minded side. I can only think that for right now they are holding on to him until they find they right player(s) and he is as good as gone if they need that international spot. I just can't wrap my head around it any other way even if he is young. Either way I am done with the Lopez conversation until he becomes significant enough to talk about which means he actually plays even if he gets switched out to be loaned to Pittsburgh!!

That being said, GO DYNAMO!!! Through the good and the bad even if I threw up orange last night there is plenty more where that came from (but please stop making me throw up orange)!!

Heft repped this.
  3. Marquez

Marquez Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Houston
    WE. LOOK. F$UCKING. TERRIBLE.

• Minimal offensive creativity.
    • Unacceptable amounts of errant passes and giveaways.
    • Complete lack of defensive awareness.
    • No one closing down on the ball (except Boniek for a brief stint).
    • Rico injured.

Oh my Dynamo where art thou.

4. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll sunshine this.... obviously we are playing to get the number one draft pick.. who will obviously be an amazing stud/instant MVP type player.

Hydro repped this.
  5. houhen

houhen Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Atascocita
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland, at home, dammit, may be the litmus test. Does the malaise continue, or do our boys suck it up and do their jobs with pride?
    What scares me is, when it came time in the past to overcome our 'annual skid' of crap play... they'd close the doors and Ching would read them the orange riot act. Ching ain't there no mo'. So... other than Rico, as was mentioned, who takes on that role?
    The thing with Ching was... he backed up the 'get your sh*t together' talk with his play on the pitch.
    Do we have that combination with anyone right now on the roster??? Again, Rico/Brad are the closest... just not sure they muster the same type of respect Ching did... just sayin'.

Soccergodlss repped this.
  6. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what is driving me crazy. Every single game, even the stupid 4 goal blowouts, we seem to be on track to tie or take the lead until we implode. NY was practically handing us chances to score but we didn't know what to do with them. 1 goal in 4 games is just crazy. What was up with Driver's shots? .... and, well, I keep having more to say, too much more, but I don't know how to get it all on here. I'll just move on....

Hydro repped this.
  7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I am Boniek or even Davis - I have to be thinking "how much do I want to go all out and risk injury in a World Cup year for this crap?"

I do think Sunday's game with Portland is huge because they are as desperate as we are right now.

Hydro and Heft repped this.
  8. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We better win 1-0, cause I don't see us scoring more than one goal any time soon.

Hydro repped this.
  9. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recall a 4-3-3 with Kandji on the left wing that worked for awhile. Just don't think we have the personnel.

10. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #185 TX Bill, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    MTL 5-0 on Aug 24 and NY 4-1 Sept 8 last season?

11. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Omar--Sherrod--Barnes
    Davis---Rico ---Boniek
    Ashe--Aj--Horst--Sarkodie
    ------------Hall

shoeless, JC507 and CeltTexan repped this.
  12. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see a few similarities with Moyes (Everton) and Dom right now:

1) Moyes was famous for making defensive subs when attacking subs were required. Everton would be down 1-0 and Moyes would bring John Heitinga at DM for Phil Neville. Supporters would tear their hair out at that. When you're down a goal and you need at least one if not two goals and you swap out defensive midfielders? What coaching badges tell you to do that?

2) Moyes would stick with players regardless of poor form. I can name off the top of my head two or three players that you knew would be in the starting eleven for Everton regardless of how poor they played the week or two weeks before. That would drive supporters bonkers too. That was one of the reasons you didn't see Ross Barkley last season. Moyes never ever gave him a chance over some of the poor performing players. Look at Barkley now !!!

Needless to say, something MUST change on the field right NOW. No waiting around for players to find form. No waiting around for someone to start scoring. I just don't think we have that luxury. I'd start looking at who we have on the bench (admittedly, it ain't deep...) and start plugging some holes. I don't care how the starters are doing in training, I don't care how they did in preseason, and frankly, I don't care how they did last match. If a player isn't pulling their weight right now, time to find someone who will.

This isn't kneejerk. This is a simple observation based on our first seven matches.

El Naranja, footyfool, JC507 and 2 others repped this.
  13. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the hell not !!!

I like that !!

(EDIT: I'd consider Omar in the middle and Ownby on that left side too. Can't hurt.)

JC507 repped this.
  14. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Let's not throw away the baby with the bathwater just yet. Four out of those five games were on the road with one mid-week game against a team that got to rest. That being said, a horrible performance across the board. Drastic changes should be coming.

15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Memorial Day is a good barometer to me. We have a bunch of May games at home and a few winnable road games. I we aren't in reasonable shape then, we got problems. The crazy thing is that the East is so bad and drawing so often early that if we had won one more game we'd be in good shape thus far.

I go back to 2010 - I think we struggled early and then Ching got cut from the USMNT team and we had a pretty important game with expansion Philly at home around Memorial Day and I think we gave up a 1-0 lead and were pushing for the winner and gave up stoppage time winner to Danny Mwanga that just seemed to crush the squad. The season was effectively over walking out of Robertson that night.

ImaPuppy, CeltTexan and Soccergodlss repped this.
  16. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I remember Kevin Kilbane trotted out on the left side for a few seasons... guy always played hard, but I don't think he was ever in form.....ha. Of course this was early in Moyes Everton career so there weren't many options.

TX Bill repped this.
  17. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

didn't he get sacked two days ago?

18. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, from Manchester United.

He'll turn up next season at some place like Newcastle or Norwich provided they stay up.

19. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the night when the team was walking off the field towards the corner of The Rob when Ryan Cochran spit at me and my newbie friend I brought to their first game that night.
    I agree with how devastating that crush you speak of was to the team and I knew it was an awkward death blow of sorts for 2010.

20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You conviently leave out the second straight year of losing to those ass clowns from Dallas.
    At home no less.
    This is a part of this 5 games you speak of brah.

It's actually the only exciting thing I can latch on to.
    That and the mundial is 50 days away and counting!

21. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

oh that would be nice-but why would he want to coach in the Championship? Ho snap! did I just say that?

they couldn't afford him anyway.

22. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I can't wait! I'm not worried about the Dynamo . It's World Cup this summer.

23. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

holy sh#$-he spat at you guys? Maybe it wasn't him, it was Roger MacDowell on the gravely road.

bford, CeltTexan and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That says more about Ryan Cockrane than anything

CeltTexan repped this.
  25. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup!
    I yelled out, "C'MON DYNAMO! You gotta hold that backline...you gotta lead at centerback Cochran!" He turned, took a swig of his Gatorade and spit it right at us as he walked up that cement incline at our old Rob.