P/I/P: Revs @ Chicago, NBCSN, 4/19 4PM

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Apr 15, 2014.

1. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can Davies be labelled a bust yet? He hasn't had an honest run out.

Bunbury continues to pile up the minutes, with so very little to show for it.

Jon Martin repped this.
  2. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that bad...
    Better than nothing...
    Beats a bullet in the head...

Such superlatives for the REV's start over the years. If the Krafts (and you possibly) started to expect "what an amazing start to the season," instead of, "we're looking up the ass of better teams but, gee, at least we can still see their ass; they're in sight" you might not have to listen to so much "complaining" on these boards.

It's not a good start and they need to do something to score goals. Is it "radical" to expect them to score? Is it "radical" to expect them to sign the players they need in a timely fashion. Please don't answer. They are rhetorical questions. No and No.

Thank god there is a World Cup in the summer. We can turn the REV pre-season off for a month and tune back in when they've decided it really is game time.

a517dogg repped this.
  3. rasoccer

rasoccer Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well, the team is in playoff position and has played 2/3 of the games on the road. So, there's no need to bring in enforcements.

ktsd repped this.
  4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since his loan deal last year and subsequent signing Davies has been on the bench for 19 games. he has made 6 appearances for a total of 81 mins. 0 goals and 0 assists. Bust

5. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    I wanted to let you know that I appreciate your style.

Please tell me it was sarcasm I caught in your statement.

6. rasoccer

rasoccer Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Sarcasm with a dose of reality

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Did anyone suggest that?
    No, but it is radical to toss out the formation that they've spent close to a year working on - and that was the context of my comment.

8. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    o goals and 0 assists in 81 minutes. That's enough evidence to cut bait?

What then do we make of Bunbury with 0 goals and 1 assist in 630 minutes?

RevsLiverpool and metoo repped this.
  9. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a feeble minded person. Since your post that I quoted did not mention formation, my negativity addled brain was unable to tell you were talking about tossing the formation.

If they don't have, nor are they willing to obtain, the personel to implement the formation they've spent a year on, maybe they should... No, Heaps went to SNU, we'd potentially wind up with a 9-0-1 formation, I fear.

10. rasoccer

rasoccer Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Not that I've seen. I don't think anyone on here feels that way. I did want to point out that the team is in pretty good shape considering the number of road games. Granted, we haven't played any of the best teams (that changes this week). I know Burns has said that they are looking to add players, but I'm just not sure how motivated they are to actually do that. Hoping they prove me wrong.

11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are missing the part where he has been available for 19 games since coming and has played a total of 81 mins. I would kinda like a little more from a former national team player but hey,,,that's just me. As for What I think of Bunbury's 0 goals and 1 assist in 630, it blows.;)

12. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't say very much for our national team if Bunbury made it...

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heaps got 4 caps!:rolleyes:

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Oh, so you really thought that I meant "Is it "radical" to expect them to score? Is it "radical" to expect them to sign the players they need in a timely fashion."? But, if those were just rhetorical questions, what did you think?
    I think Burns has every reason to be very highly motivated to doing it. It's pretty frustrating for everyone that he hasn't been able to bring anyone in and, unless he's got something up his sleeve, it's got to be driving him nuts too.

No matter what people think of his competence, I have no doubt that he's a highly-competitive former pro-athlete who has long ties to this organization. I can't believe anything other than that he badly wants to make this a winning organization. If he's not able to, then it's got to be even more frustrating for him than it is for us.
    You take such a short-term view of things. It's fortunate that most NT coaches don't. There's no doubt Bunbury has a lot of very good qualities as a player. I can easily see why a NT coach would want to take a look at him. Has he put it all together and maximized that talent? No, not yet. But, there are plenty of players who took a long time to bring it all together to the point where they could help the USNT.
    Not even close.

16. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only that, but there are enough garbage time MNT camps and friendlies and such, so that it doesn't really say all that much about the player, beyond having a good season in MLS, or maybe decent physical tools. Exhibit A: our own Joe Franchino.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't doubt that for a second. Of course Burns would love to sign another Goncalves-type player and fill in the missing pieces to bring the Revs to the MLS Cup titles that have eluded this organization. Anyone in any capacity will want to succeed at whatever they do, unless they work at the Registry of Motor Vehicles.

There seem to be two basic reasons why he hasn't been able to do that at all. One is that he is not competent enough to build relationships with player agents, club officials, trusted talent evaluators in other countries. The other is that he is hamstrung by the organization in what he can do. In other words, if the Boss Man says you can only spend XX on new players this off-season, and those numbers are not realistically high enough for any decent player, let alone two, there isn't a lot he can do. He is being set up for failure by his own organization.

It could be a combination of the two, but at the end of the day, he hasn't even come close to getting this done. Is there another possible theory I am missing?

18. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is NOT radical to expect them to score. I think it is NOT radical to expect them to sign the players they need in a timely fashion.

When I read your post you seemed to be saying people were posting for radical change. What I read is people saying those two, reasonable IMHO, things. I don't think it is radical at all.

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Your second theory only could make sense if they were entirely focused on DP solutions and I don't think that is (or should) be the case. You should be able to sign a quality player with the cap room and allocation money that they should already have.

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we would think.

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I take it you agree with the first theory...

22. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the second theory does not have to apply to DPs. If the boss man's moneyball algorithm always spits out a ruling of "no higher than $XXX" and XXX is always too low....

23. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I strongly agree with your first assertion but not your second. Ownership is NOT the problem. It's the guys in the management trenches that have been marginal at best at running the franchise. If ownership is due any stick it's the hands off way they deal with Management. The Revs desperately need a stronger player management team

24. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where I think you are wrong. Who hired Blooter and Bilello? And rewards their mediocrity?

25. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I could not disagree with you more. The article written in Boston Magazine seems to disagree with you as well. So do the rankings that Grant Wahl provides on annual basis. The list goes on...