2014 Rapid season Catch- All

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Mar 8, 2014.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why, in my 6+ seasons, other than mini-donuts I think the only food I've ever bought in the stadium was a brownie and some french fries. The tailgate food is better than anything you can get.

22SteveD, jayd8888, m vann and 1 other person repped this.
  2. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    So true, that it could be etched in stone. Plus there’s much better value at the tailgate.

22SteveD, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    22SteveD and Stuart95 repped this.
  4. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't need the image of Sigi Schmid as Margery Tyrell :)

JasonMa, m vann and jayd8888 repped this.
  5. The Commissioner

Oct 31, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I love your effort to get us important information. Thank you. But had you missed the Game of Throw Ins, I would not have complained.

6. Cos_Mos

Cos_Mos Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Broomfield
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the second half jimmydinho's salty nuts are reaching perfection!

Jimmydinho repped this.
  7. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you're married now buddy, so I'm gonna need a note from your wife before you can even touch one of my salty nuts.

jdub3379 repped this.
  8. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Auto-rep for the magic word.

Stuart95 and JasonMa repped this.
  9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Interesting reading Pablo's comments about his formation switch. To me there is much flexibility in the 4-2-3-1 as in any formation. The outside players in the forward midfield spots don't have to hug the touch line for things to work. They in fact can have a lot of leeway about where, when and how they move to support the attack. There really doesn't have to be any hard or fast rules about staying on one side or the other. Having two holding mids makes this possible. As the forward three don't have to be as conscious about defending every minute (of course they do have defensive responsibilities). Watch Chelsea when Hazard, Oscar and Willian are on the pitch at the same time. You never know where one is going to show up to receive the ball and there are times when all three are very close to one another forming a triangle.

This isn't to say that the use of the 4-4-2 with a diamond in the middle is wrong for the Rapids, but if Pablo is saying that Sanchez, Powers, LaBrocca, etc., aren't best placed on the touch line but are better suited to playing more centrally he could use either formation and they could do so.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    The food situation at Dick's is so egregious that I - along with all in the car - stop at the CC Chipotle (which is conveniently located on my route) and get burrito's to sneak into the stadium.

There are so many potentially wonderful types of food that could be served fresh at Disk's such as empanadas, real tacos, sandwiches, etc., and would go well with the soccer culture. It's a shame that this isn't taken advantage of.

11. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    aramark is just the worst food on the planet

22SteveD repped this.
  12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    You are 100% correct and yet I've grown fond of their stale pretzels and flavorless cheese cups.

Stuart95 and 22SteveD repped this.
  14. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Games are two hours long, there shouldn't be any NEED to buy food. I will buy a drink, but even then I feel dirty paying the exorbitant price. I will never buy food at a soccer game unless things become reasonably priced because I'm not in the stadium long enough to become hungry if I have planned properly. Now if prices were reasonable and the food was tasty, then maybe i would adjust my plan to enjoy something at half-time, but that is it. (Like when I went to a Sparta Praha game, everyone makes a dash at half to get a sausage, the only thing they were serving. It was reasonably priced so a huge percentage of people got one, it tasted good, and most everyone got served and finished eating before the half was over.)

JasonMa repped this.
  15. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you had to drive up from the Springs. This is really an issue for Wednesday night games: mad dash out of work, battle the traffic, etc. That having been said, I never really expect much from stadium food. In my mind, if you need food bad, they have bad food. Beer on the other hand ...

jayd8888 repped this.
  16. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm coming from Fort Collins, so I am in the same boat, I don't even bother with mid week games unless it is a really good matchup, but i'll find a fast food place to stop at and eat while driving or while walking through the parking lot to the gate.

And yes I am also that guy who refuses to buy any food or drink while at the movies.

17. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO

From Cheyenne its a six hour affair. Two to get down, two at the game and two to get back up. Stopping somewhere just makes it longer and invites an the need to pitstop again. Making it in time for the tailgate makes it all normal.

Seriously, god bless the tailgate!

JasonMa repped this.
  18. Cos_Mos

Cos_Mos Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Broomfield
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to stop at Taco Junior on 64th st on my way home but they shut down this year. :( Anyone know of some good Comerce City grub?

19. BigBrasky

BigBrasky Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  20. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I think there is a torta place called Tortugas somewhere in Commerce City (there are some google hits that have the address 7600 Hwy 2, Commerce City CO 80022, 720 389-8439).

Anyone been there? I think I saw a commercial for it during a Liga MX match and it looked good.

21. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    There isn't a NEED to eat at the game, but it can enhance the experience for some of us (assuming the food is good). We used to have season tix to a AA baseball team in Austin before moving to Colorado. We loved getting a brisket sandwich and watching the game. I won't do it with the crappy food at the stadium, but would if there was something better.

And yes, we do hit the tailgate. Sometimes we eat there, sometimes we wait until after the game and go out somewhere.

rod.

22. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'll take a guess and say that crappy fast/easy food dominates the stadium fare because both the vendors and KSE have such a mind of making as much money as possible from concessions that better food would cost "too much" and few would buy it. Plus, when you're making money hand over fist with crappy cardboard food, why bother putting effort into anything that may make less $? The processed food keeps really well too so you just stuff it back in the 'fridge until next time. I assume most stadiums run about like that.

JasonMa repped this.
  23. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I suspect it all started when the bid was put on the street. Once the bid was given out, then the concessions go to the lowest contractually obligated price. When the decision was made, there probably wasn't much thought about "good" food. I have no idea how long the contract runs, it will be interesting to see if things are improved in the next set of competitive bids.

24. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    What food do they have there? There are the Marcos, then all the grill places with burgers, hot dogs, pretzels (these ones all seem to blend together when I try to picture the concourses), are the cheesesteak kiosks still there? What else is there? Is there any sort of burrito place or BBQ place?

25. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    It's kind of funny they're called "concessions." We're making concessions, all right.

Jimmydinho repped this.