Ecuador en Brasil 2014

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by barcelonista1981, Oct 16, 2013.

1. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think Bagui and Quinonez had decent halves. They weren't spectacular but they were alright. You're right about Espinoza though, he's not NT material. To be fair, he's playing out of position. Doesn't he play as a CB in a back line of three with Catolica?

2. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Wow this game shows the terrible level quality of the local players.

3. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    wow gonzales is getting switched for villaba

4. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    That was a nice tackle by Rizzoto.

5. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    #355 The Machine, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Tito Valencia is coming in. I've seen him a couple of times playing for El Nacional and truth be told he's alright.

6. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Arroyo has come in and played some solid minutes.

7. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I've always said Bagui and Quinonez are average. Son cumplidores y no mas. Rarely will they stand out and have a spectacular game. But when you compare them to the rest of these inexperienced guys, you can tell they're a notch above them. Hate to say I told you so to some of the people in this forum who want the inexperienced guys in and players like Bagui and Quinonez out. For that to happen, we first gotta find someone above their level and honestly no one in this game or on that squad is above their level. The only stand out I saw who has quality is Jonathan Gonzalez and not even he had a great game, but I already know the quality of player he is. He's a gem compared to the rest. I won't stop saying this- I can't believe we didn't get to see Narvaez, Penilla, and Pineida. Those are actually players who have the potential to compete against Achilier, Bagui, and the more experienced guys. It just happened that those guys got injured. Just our luck...

8. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    why did canga not play ??? stupid checa and achillerr should have been RB not espinoza this is not the game i expected it to be :/

9. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    #359 b9d23m89, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Rueda is most likely leaving this game more confused than before lol. There was nothing productive about it. The three players with the most potential to give a surprise in this game all got injured and couldn't participate. If I were Rueda I'd eliminate the majority of these guys from the roster b/c none of them were productive. Of course I'd keep Dominguez, Banguera, and Bone. And Pedro Quinonez and Bagui would most likely make my list of 30 which would give me more time to see them before I make eliminations.

Right now it's clear to make the list of 30 that can make it to the WC...or at least who you believe should make the list of 30.

Keepers:
    1. Dominguez
    2. Banguera
    3. Bone

4. Juan Carlos Paredes
    5. Frickson Erazo
    6. Jorge Guagua
    7. Oscar Bagui
    8. Walter Ayovi
    (3 spots left- 1 right back and 2 center backs)

9. Antonio Valencia
    10. Renato ibarra
    11. Michael Arroyo *** (or Rueda might choose Joao Rojas...this is where the doubt is)
    12. Jefferson Montero
    13. Cristian Noboa
    14. Segundo Castillo
    15. Edison Mendez
    (1 spot left- defensive mid or volante mixto)

16. Ener Valencia
    17. Fidel Martinez
    18. Felipe Caicedo
    (1 spot left- either a number 9 which is most likely what Rueda wants or a media punta)

that right there would make the list of 23. Meaning there are 5 open spaces where there are doubts. Most likely out of those 5 spaces, Saritama and Achilier will occupy 2 of those spots leaving 2 more positions available in defense and one available in the striker position. Another possibility is that Rueda opts for Joao Rojas as a striker since we don't have a good #9 or another media punta that is standing out that he would want (obviously Junior Sornoza and Uchuari are not in his plans). Marlon got injured when he was about to get his chance to get called up and then lost his rhythm he was beginning to have, Juan Anangono isn't doing much in the MLS, Narciso is recovering from a surgery, Jaime Ayovi has been on and off with injuries this season and has barely played. Yoya may be the only MAYBE that Rueda calls up. It's Yoya, Rojas, or Michael Arroyo right now on the list. IMO 2/3 will make it. Doubt he calls up Armando Wila, Carlos Tenorio, or Daniel Angulo either....that's most likely NOT going to happen. Anyways, i'll finish up my list of 30. And here's my final 12 options:

defense:
    19. John Narvaez
    20. Mario Pineida
    21. Gabriel Achilier
    22. Cristian Ramirez
    23. _________ (I have no idea....this open spot could go to any freakin centerback in the league b/c we seem to not have sh*t at this point...might as well fill this in with Checa)

midfield:
    24. Luis F. Saritama
    25. Pedro Quinonez
    26. Carlos Gruezo

forwards:
    27. Joao Rojas ***
    28. Jaime Ayovi
    29. Cristian Penilla
    30. Armando Wila/Carlos Tenorio/Marlon De Jesus

That would be my elimination. But I'm positive the first 18 players (plus Achilier and Saritama...making that 20) are for sure going to be on the squad.

let me know what you guys think. There's not much we can do at this point. We have to go with what we got.

10. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    @2
    FIFA rules only allow each National team a 23 men squad, its been like that for as long as I can remember
    by the way 3 MUST be goalkeepers.
    1)Banguera
    2)Dominguez
    3)Bone
    4)Erazo
    5)Guagua
    6)Achilier
    7)Walter
    8)Paredez
    9)Bagui
    10)Ramirez or Corozo
    11)Valencia
    12)Noboa
    13)Castillo
    14)Montero
    15)Mendez
    16) Saritama
    17)Bolanos or Quinonez
    18)Caicedo
    19)Enner
    20)Rojas
    21)Ibarra
    22)Martinez
    23) Arroyo, De Jesus or Yoya
    As I said before, there really isnt much space there maybe Rueda will get smart and leave Saritama and call Gruezo. but other than that guys this was just a match to say goodbye to the NT in Quito, look in the end only 23 will go to Brazil i assure 95% at least are mentioned above.

11. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    #361 b9d23m89, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    i know that. But Rueda is making a list of 30 first and eliminating 7 from it before having to turn it in to FIFA. In the game vs. Holand there will be 30 players on the list from what I have heard. After that game Rueda will turn in his list of 23.

The guys in bold aren't 100% guaranteed yet, but you're right about everyone else.

12. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I don't see how Carlos Gruezo not be called up now. He is playing consistently and in a league MILLION times better than Ecuadorian league. What has Saritama done recently? Or ever? Gruezo won his starting stop and his team had a huge win last week with him in the starting position. Ecuadorian league is crap and Saritama hasn't done anything important in it. Gruezo should be given a straight ticket to the WC.

13. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    #363 The Machine, Apr 24, 2014
    So after watching last nights game I have a pretty good idea who Rueda is going to name in his list of 23 players. Nobody really stood out to be honest. Bagui and Quinonez were what you would expect them to be...average. I think Arroyo came in and played some solid minutes. Nobody else really stood out. Achilier and Checa didn't particularly do anything special to augment their chances of being part of the list. Nor did they do anything to dent their possibilities. What it comes down to is that they weren't tested.

There was a chance that either Arroyo or Rojas not make the list. Rueda himself has said that he wanted to take a more traditional 9, but nobody has stood out. There was an outside chance that either Wila or Angulo make the cut in place of Rojas or Arroyo but not anymore. I think Rueda is going to take both and not take a 9 altogether. Barring injury, I think these will be the 23 players Rueda will take to Brazil.

Domingiez
    Banguera
    Bone

Erazo
    Guagua
    Achilier
    Checa/Narvaez*
    Paredes
    W. Ayovi
    Bagui**
    Ramirez***

A. Valencia
    Ibarra
    Montero
    Rojas
    Noboa
    Castillo
    Mendez
    Gruezo****

E. Valencia
    Caicedo
    Martinez
    Arroyo

*Checa is not a favorite of mine but our options are limited. Maybe Campos makes it if he recovers in time. Narvaez had a pretty good chance of making the cut but unfortunately he got injured and that put a serious dent on his chances. I think both will be called up as part of the 30 players Rueda calls up in May so hopefully Narvaez can beat him out for the spot. Another name that came to mind is Morante. He's healthy again and his form has improves with every game he plays. If he plays well in the next couple of games, he might force Rueda's hand.

**I would much rather see Pineida in his place but lets face it...it's not gonna happen. Barring injury Bagui is going to be on the list whether we like it or not.

***Ramirez was on the outside looking in up until a couple of weeks ago but he seems to have regained his spot in Germany. If he keeps getting consistent minutes he'll be part of the squad that goes to the WC. He might have to duke it out with Pineida though.

****He has pretty good chances of making the squad. He's getting consistent minutes in a competitive league. Another thing to remember is that I think his agent is Chiriboga's son. He'll battle it out with Saritama and Qiunonez for sure though.

14. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    highly considered? yes. Straight ticket- no. Gruezo has more chances now because he won a spot in the Bundesliga and has been an important player in the last 6 games as a starter helping his team out of relegation positions. Saritama and Pedro have much more experience over Gruezo having played Qualifiers and even a WC in Saritamas case. The only thing Gruezo has over them is that he plays in a better league and he's in better shape than they are right now (seeing his recent performances). But I've said this before- a World Cup isn't a tournament where you could just throw any young kid. Especially an 18 year old with no NT experience. The positive thing about Gruezo is that I believe he actually has the maturity to play on the NT even at this age. He's basically an exception to the rule. Even Gabriel Corozo would be an exception but unfortunately he hasn't been playing much in Liga this season. Rueda needa to make the best decision- experience or form? Saritama
    and Pedro win when it comes to experience and Gruezo is beating them by a long shot as far as form. But I'm a believer in bringing up the young guys little by little...sino los quemas. And that's the last thing you want to do with someone like Gruezo. Strong candidate for the final roster especially now that Gaibor got injured and won't be taken into consideration. Pedro and Saritama would be the other two options Rueda has. I would include him in the list of 30 for sure and make my decision after to see if he makes the cut for the 23 final players.

15. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    #365 viagoal, Apr 24, 2014
    I like Jonathan Gonzalez. That kid has speed and smarts. He just needs to be surrounded by the right players. He reminds me of Chucho in a way.

16. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    If nothing goes wrong, he should be in Europe within the next year. I don't have a doubt in my mind that he possess the quality to make it out there. He's in that bracket that Cevallos Jr., Mercado, Corozo, Gruezo, Parrales, and a few others are in....a level ahead of the rest. He doesn't play Chucho's position though, he plays Antonio's. He can also play on the left wing. He doesn't do it much, but in Independiente there have been times when Guerrero goes to the right and Gonzalez switches to the left and he does it just as well.

If a Premier League team picks him up he will develop into a beast. He has the body type, the speed, the entrega, the strength, etc. I can only imagine what he can become if an EPL team scoops him. Whoever thought Renato Ibarra would have it easy for next Qualifier to take over the right wing (leaving Antonio in a more central position) might be thinking it over again. If Gonzalez continues on the path he's been on the last year and a half, he's going to give Renato a hard time next Qualifier.

17. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    #367 barcelonista1981, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    Throwing my opinion on the most "debated" names on most of our lists,
    Achilier This just comes down to really not much else to choose from, Campos' injury and Morantes' quality loss have led to this. Narvaez is an interesting alternative but Rueda seems to prioritize time spent with NT
    Ramirez I see why Rueda started calling him, guys one of our main problems more than central defenders and forwards is that we absolutely have no back up for Paredez (who is injured btw) there's absolutely no decent RB in our league
    Saritama his call ups are beyond my understanding, but evidently Rueda likes him. I hope hes not called up but seeing how he was part of all call ups in WCQ and friendlies, I doubt he wont be in the final list.
    Rojas the only times he wasnt called for friendlies were due to Visa problems or special permit, Rueda likes Rojas, he's by far one of our most used subs, started in very important games and to be fair, rightfully so, he's reliable, barely injured, consistent, good crosser, good speed, decent finisher. he's having a great year with Cruz azul.
    Gruezo hope he gets called, the experience would be great, I expect this guy to be Castillos replacement next Copa America, but as b9 says, I also do not think he should play, no need to create burdens on him. Pedro Q has a better chance than him, even Alex Bolanos maybe due to times they been called up.
    Yoya or De Jesus they suck, but again our lack of alternatives still leave a chance for these guys, Arroyo deserves a chance then again I wouldnt mind having Carlos Tenorio or even Willa on the bench. but Rueda please hear this out....WE NEED A FREE KICK TAKER!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ultimately all I hope is that our players get healthy come mid May, I dont care about the lack of playing that much, they get 20 plus days 3 top class friendlies, besides they know each other, they should be on point by the World Cup.

18. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Narvaez- unfortunately he missed his chance. There's a very slight opportunity Rueda includes him in the list of 30, but it's slim at this point. So damn frustrating that him and Mario Pineida who are the best right/left backs right now (and of course Narvaez can play as a center back too) got injured right before this game. This was their chance. I'd say we do have above average right and left backs (Narvaez and Pineida), the problem is that they haven't been put to the test yet and we haven't seen them in action to completely say "ok, they need to be on the list no matter what". Everything falls into assumption. But they are the two players with most potential for that position, that's the only thing you can say without a doubt.

Ramirez- He'd make my list of 30. Depending on how his performances are in training and the next few games Rueda can make his final decision to include him in the list of 23 or not. He hasn't wowed me yet, but he also has performed poorly enough for me to say he shouldn't be included. I see him much more as a volante than a defender. His size and projection tell me he's better off being in a more offensive position on the field. He's not the traditional ecuadorian left/right back. JC Paredes isn't either (he's naturally a carrilero/winger), but he doesn't get pushed around that easily even though he's skinny. Just my take on Ramirez.

Saritama- I'm with you on that....but experience wins over form sometimes. At least for Rueda.

Rojas - good player. Fast, great dribbling, and causes trouble to the opponents defense. The thing with Rojas that I see is he hasn't continued developing. Para mi se quedo y no tiene la profundidad que tiene Antonio, Montero, ni Ibarra. He's not in the same bracket, per say, as those players before mentioned. Even Michael Arroyo's quality is above Rojas. I can see Junior Sornoza becoming the next Joao Rojas if he doesn't fully develop. Obviously they play different positions, but that's the bracket I consider Sornoza to be in right now. He's still on time to develop and do great things b/c he possess more creativity and features to his game (penalty kick taker, free kick taker, and scores a high number of goals per season) than I saw in Joao when he was younger, pero le falta todavia. But to me, Joao se quedo. I won't be mad if Rueda takes him to the WC b/c there's a chance we go with no #9 (even though Rueda is trying to find a #9 to take) and Joao makes the list leaving Arroyo to be Montero's back up, but I eventually see someone taking his spot on the NT (most likely next Qualifier...watch out for Jonathan Gonzalez) unless he pulls some good games on the NT out of his ass lol.

Yoya & De Jesus- they don't suck. Injuries have kept the back from having a good season. I know they are two players that people attack a lot, but they are actually the best players we have as target men. Yoya scored 8 goals in the second semester for Liga last season. Playing with a team that had less creativity than this one. Now that he left, Liga is more in the hole than before. Just to compare....look at Borja's scoring record- 2 goals in 5 months. Yoya had 8 and didn't even play every single game and he was just coming out of a 7 month injury. He's a player that makes a difference in a squad when it comes to goals. The problem with Yoya has been his injuries since he went to the middle east and he hasn't been able to perform like he used to. De Jesus got injured when he was gaining confidence and rhythm with Monterrey. He scored like 3 games in a row and then got injured, his team as a whole wasn't functioning well all semester, and then he lost his spot. To me that's him being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Rueda had him on the list for the game vs. Australia guaranteed, he even said it. But unfortunately he also missed his chance.

now that i think about it, lots of those U-20 players from a few years back are missing their chances on the NT due to injuries riiiight when they are about to get called up- Gaibor, Narvaez, Pineida, and De Jesus. Just bad luck if you ask me.

19. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    In all honesty, I am not concerned about our delantera too much, I mean Caicedo and Enner will start, Fidel as a sub or switch them around, what does concern me is Paredez' injury, we are 48 days away from World cup and no updates have been giving, does anyone have an idea on who can play his position? try and see how hard it is, it's times like this I hate my team BSC for not giving Bryan De La Torre a proper chance.

20. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Gruezo playing right now. Starting again.

21. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    BSC lo quemo a Bryan de La Torre, Pedro Velasco, and Roosevelt Oyola. There was never a need to sign Paredes when these guys were performing at top level (in Velasco's case he was a starter at 18 years old in D.Quito for two seasons straight). Those kids are screwed and they're stuck there. Good thing Oyola got out. Poor guy suffered an injury in the beginning of his best moments which I think ended up ruining his career. Doubt he can come back, but we'll see. I think he's another case similar to Morante. Rueda will most likely start Ramirez or push Antonio back if Paredes wouldn't make it to the WC. I don't think his injury is that serious, but it isn't something that will get him back up this weekend. I'm sure if it were serious Rueda would've said something by now. I saw a Vine video of Paredes training normally doing drills a few days ago. He should be fine soon.

God, I wish Gabriel Corozo would've never gotten called up to those U-18 NT games. That made him lose his spot in Liga. He would be ideal right now as an alternative.

22. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    In defense of BSC, Oyola got injured and gained a lot of weight, by the time the season started Nazareno was the better option, I agree with you on Velasco, BSC has a really screwed up mentality, anyway Paredez should play this week and considering we are near the last game of the tournament he should be safe until concentracion.

23. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Velasco has played well when given the chance. When Pineida and Narvaez went down because of injury I was actually surprised Rueda didn't give him a call up. He's still young so there's still hope for him.

24. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Ok, so I watched all of the Tijuana game I usually watch these matches where Ecuadorians are involved, I paid extra attention on this one game cause it was sort of a do or die to qualify to playoffs, Martinez didnt start, but Ayovi did, now, I know some of you like him B9 is one of his strongest supporters and hes nailed it in some things, Ayovi is very good at positioning, whenever Tijuana created an attack Ayovi was there either on the ball or around, he gets open, which is very important, more than Caicedo, Ayovi just finds a way to come in to the box without a guy on him, hes a decent passer but now to the bad things and this game just re confirmed that Ayovi cant finish to save his own life, he missed 2 clear chances that I'm sure any of us commenting here would have scored it, why must this happen to so many of our forwards? I mean De Jesus, Mina, Calderon, Jaime Ayovi, Borja, Benitez had the same issues, Montero is showing signs of it, I watch all Ecuador games religiously, I remember Tanque Hurtado having the same problems, even Grazziani but Carlos Tenorio, Delgado and Kaviedez sure brought up the standard.

Going a little off topic, why is it so difficult to develop a few decent forwards, por que se estancan? we create some pretty good wingers Antonio Valencia, Enner Valencia (original position) Joffre Guerron, Montero, Martinez, Rojas, Renato Ibarra, Jonathan Gonzales is making noise now too.
    Even our midfields have had a good share of quality names, Aguinaga, Chala, Edwin Tenorio, Obregon, Mendez, Segundo Castillo, Noboa, Fernando Guerrero, all are high quality to me at least.
    But looking at forwards so many incomplete promises and /or projects in the last few years,
    Walter Chala, Marlon De Jesus, Edson Montano, Orlindo Ayovi, Garces, Palacios, Borja and many more come to mind, all at some point showed some hope, Im not saying all of them should have become world class goleadores, im just asking why cant we make a Valencia or Mendez caliber class in a forward?

25. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Good question... What about defense? Can't develop those at all too. My guess is that we don't have enough talented coaching, and teams/FEF haven't invested enough in the youth before. From Education to physical training. With teams like Independiente del Valle really putting a major effort in developing their youth, my guess is that we will start seeing more quality players in those positions in the coming years.