Atlanta MLS team name 3.0 suggestions?

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Eleven Bravo, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or just ATL. I've spent a lot of time in Greece and have always been fascinated with AEK - the look and the name.

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't... I'd refer to the team as the Bastards of ATL.

We should just go ahead name the team, Atlanta Empire... I guarantee you that you will not come up with a better name without polarizing your audience. Not everyone is going to say it's their favorite... but, what's been the argument against it? So far, I've just heard that it will somehow be a running joke if the team sucks. Well, ya know what "the empire strikes back" sounds pretty awesome as a headline. Point is that the name works. It's specific to Atlanta as it represents how Atlanta is the epicenter of the southeast, sounds soccer-ish, and most importantly, it's clean, not confusing, unique, and strong. Slam dunk in my book...

The only argument at this point should the team be called:

Atlanta Empire
    Atlanta Empire SC
    Atlanta Empire FC

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay how about:
    FC Atlanta
    Atlanta SC
    Atlanta City
    Georgia United

All boring I know, but light years ahead of naming it any version of another city's name, transportation mode or the bad guys from Star Wars.

At this point I hope Blank buys the Silverbacks if just for branding purposes.

4. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's own the whole region, a la New England, and call it Southern Utd.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what Atlanta Empire accomplishes. It's acknowledging the whole south... And that Atlanta is the capital of the empire.

6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those suck. Nothing wrong with Atlanta Empire.

7. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    They can't use Phenix because people would confuse Atlanta Phenix with Phenix City, Alabama.

Arid_Torpor repped this.
  8. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I like Southern United. However, we all know that Yankees would have a fit.

9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ideally, what were the things we wanted from a team name:

1. Represent the city of Atlanta
    2. Acknowledge that this is the south's team
    3. sound soccer-ish without polarizing audiences.
    4. Be specific to area
    5. Be strong, unique, not confusing, and clean.

Atlanta Empire satisfies all four of those.

1. Any team name has to include Atlanta in it. We are kidding ourselves if we think differently.
    2. The Empire is in reference to the southern region which Atlanta is the capital city. Pratically, this is similar to bayern Munich in that Munich is the principal city of Bavaria. So people outside of Atlanta can fill like they have been included and are very important to the support of the team.
    3. Empire fits in nicely with Galaxy, Crew, Union, etc in the league. FC is very polarizing and your American sports faithful are going to be very repulsed by the name. A mascot name is going to turn off the Euro fan purists... empire follows the mold of naming that Euro clubs follow while still sounding very American. In my book, a name must pass this test because I do not want to polarize the audience.
    4. Empire state of south
    5. Empire is strong and represents unity. It would be the only team with that name. No one will confuse it with another brand. And the name Empire is very clean and does not sound cumbersome like Silverbacks or Locomotives.
    6* Empire fits well with the Terminus Legion theme.

10. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The concept of "empire" in this post imperial age is likely to be a polarizing name. I can almost guarantee - and will take odds - that Empire won't be in the name.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a far stretch

12. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not at all. Empires and imperial expansion and imperialism are all pejoratives. They have negative connotations. Very little good is associated with the idea of Empire.

13. tourist

tourist New Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Stone Mountain, GA
    I really like that logo on the left

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, where are the people who are up in arms about the empire state building? Even after attending a liberal arts school and with perhaps the most liberal profession of all, don't think I have met anyone who would be so offended by the name Atlanta Empire that they wouldn't go to a game. Seriously, that's about as lame as saying that the Kings should change their names because people might be offended because of a reference to the horrors of a monarchy. The only thing people will think of when they hear Empire is that is a team trying to making a reference to that they are the team of the south.

15. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last point I'll try to make is that, what is going to keep fans away? I really don't see Empire keeping fans away. It may not be everyone's favorite, but I don't see so many people who are upset with the name that they won't come to the games.

Now, I see a lot of casual fans not coming to the games if it is given some bogus name like Atlanta City or FC Atlanta. I don't like Dallas for that very reason. I think people on here expect everyone to jump on board with the euro bandwagon, but that is going to leave a sour taste in a lot of mouths.

In short, if Empire is not popular... I can deal with it. But I'll be very upset if the team is called Atlanta FC, FC Atlanta, or something along those lines.

16. divdev12

divdev12 Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think that Atlanta Rising SC accomplishes a lot of our goals with a team name as well. 1. It's specific to the city and the south. 2. While not being very strong, it sounds good. 3. We can still market with the phoenix without being called the phoenix. 4. It's not Euro. 5. It makes sense and everyone from ATL would understand what it means.

17. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Empire State building was built in the early part of the 20th century when "empire" was still seen as a geopolitical concept worth pursuing. And no, no one would be so offended that they wouldn't come to games. I'll come if the name of the team is the MARTA Rangers. And the word "King" doesn't have as many negative connotations. I understand wanting to connect the name to Atlanta's history but that would take explaining the whole damn thing every time someone said, why empire? Sort of like Terminus. Not many people realize that Georgia's the Empire of the South, though geopolitically, in light of Georgia's rather dark history, throwing around terms like Empire sounds rather exploitative.

Just my opinion. Again, I'll take odds on whether that name is even considered! Put your money down now!

18. CAllen91

CAllen91 Member

Atlanta United
    Oct 23, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about just "ATL FC"

19. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love it but those who see NYCFC as a significant statement for an expansion team will see Atlanta as mimicking it at best.

20. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Southern Utd. is an interesting idea. I wonder how Blank the nation at large would feel about such a name? We are the South, we are the Gateway to the South, we are the capital of the New South, we are the most prosperous state in Dixie - we represent the South. Our team is meant to capitalize on the idea that it is at the heart of the New South, uniting all of it under one soccer badge.

21. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure there's no way that's what people would think, unless you actively explained it to them.

22. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone on another thread (or a while ago in this thread, I don't remember) suggested the Atlanta Southerners, which accomplishes the same thing while allowing you to keep the Atlanta branding. I can't decide whether that sounds corny or cool though. What did people think about Houston's NFL team name?

23. Capt.Tsubasa

Capt.Tsubasa Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I guess I must be blind, def & stupid but how is FC polarizing or even turning people off?! I mean, some people may find it boring, but nobody would ever get upset about it right?

24. tourist

tourist New Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Stone Mountain, GA
    I like Atlanta Firebirds SC. It represents the city and fits MLS. Firebirds vs Quakes, Timbers vs Firebirds etc. No need to over think the room IMO

25. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    I don't know about good, but I see 'empire' used a lot in a non-negative way. For instance, as a reference to a huge business. 'MLSE has built a sports empire in Toronto as it owns the Leafs, the Raptors, TFC and a number of other sports properties.' That's not an actual quote but I see it used quite often along those lines. I think the main connotation of the word today is size or power rather than negativity. I think Atlanta Empire is somewhat similar to Galaxy or Giants in that way.

Eleven Bravo repped this.