Battle of Oklahoma City

Discussion in 'Rayo OKC' started by msilverstein47, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    As an attendee for a while of one of our fine church ran schools here in our great state, this made me laugh.

Though you forgot to mention your opinion on PBR, which as we know, is a must when wearing a fedora and neckbeard.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if Mr. Warmth would like the taste of baby’s blood, which we atheists like to drink.

Eric B repped this.
  3. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And speaking for Charismatics we won't make you eat the live chicken...on the first visit

Laramie repped this.
  4. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Timeout for a good laugh!

5. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Shamrock78

Shamrock78 New Member

Apr 14, 2014
    Don't know much about both ownership groups, even though I think you could technically say OKC FC (future NASL?) was first. And I must admit I don't like the name Energy nor the fac that it's another start-up claiming to bring MLS. What's wrong with being a minor league team and trying to be succesful at that?

It seems mostly the new clubs in USL Pro need the MLS-carrot in order to excist. Which is odd really. Maybe even they aren't taking USL Pro seriously anymore.

Anyway what is fair to say is that NASL is by far the more serious league of the two. And yes, the difference between the leagues and their respective clubs isn't that big, but it's widening and will do so even more in the next years. Orlando is gone, than there are a couple franchises who draw decent crowds, but nobody wants to see the Galaxy 2 or next season RB 2 or Sounders 2. And if they do have succes, USL teams will go for MLS as is their intention anyway, leaving the league with the lesser-succesfull ones.

Admittingly, MLS will compete with succesfull NASL-franchises as well, but in the long run, NASL has more potential IMHO as a league of its own.

Laramie and Blando13 repped this.
  7. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but it "potential" is usless unless you define what it's for. NASL has the potential to put a better product on the field than USL. They have the potential to have some great success's in some major markets that aren't in the MLS. They have the potential to have some big failures because more money being put into what is still "minor league" has a risk associated with it.

On the other hand ... USL has the potential to be a very key part in the development of US Soccer players. USL has the potential to be successful in smaller markets where MLS and NASL simply couldn't due to market size if USL is to become more regional.

Not saying you didn't know any of this or anything ... but just saying the NASL has more potential without stating what it's for is pretty easy to say ... and the same could be said for USL ... they have potential too ... more so than NASL in some areas. Both are good for soccer in this country at this point in time. Hard to argue that.

8. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely agree. Potential goes both ways, too.
    NASL has the potential to be a strong, viable league. And in some places, an alternative to MLS.
    It also has the potential to over-reach, and fail.
    USL-Pro has the potential to be a strong third division for the US, giving cities that have been under-served a taste of soccer culture, and a team to root for. A good 3rd division is ultimately good for all the leagues above it, I think.
    It also has the potential to be just a reserve league for MLS.
    I agree with people who have said that the leagues need to work together, and stop trying to cannibalize each other. It's probably not going to happen, but it needs to.

Laramie, Blando13 and brentgoulet repped this.
  9. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't agree more.

I think even the NASL fans would want USL to succeed. I think a 3rd division that isn't just reserve teams is better for the pyramid ... but I think if you could get it regionalized you could limit the number of MLS teams in a given region. Dream world would have NASL teams have a U23 team that would also play in the 3rd division. This country has enough baseball players to populate how many levels of baseball? 4 or 5 at least? That's with using players from very few European countries and South American countries ... and nothing in Africa. It's not going to happen next year, but why can't Soccer be equal to MLB in this country at some point in time? Instead of 3 or 4 minor league levels, why not have 2 top level leagues ... and then a 3rd division that is regional that has over 100 teams (similar to soccer in Spain). I'd hope that even NASL fans could see that naysaying the USL being a MLS reserve league may realize that they may be eating their words when the NASL chooses to do the same (either in USL or in another lower level). It's not a bad concept but if that's what it takes for you to puff your chest out and prove the NASL's value over the USL Pro then by all means, enjoy acting like my 4 year old twins :)!

10. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No problem with any of these soccer leagues' success.

The concern we should have as a city is about the process about which they market their product.

It's not the first time we've heard the Funks' plot for OKC's future to the highest level like the MLS or NHL--be your own judge. It's going to be wait and see for me.

ManuSooner repped this.
  11. Toaster

Toaster New Member

Apr 24, 2014
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic from last night's Barons PLAYOFF game. Announced attendance was 1,200.
    This is an example of the product that Funk and Prodigal are putting out there.
    What do you think is going to happen to soccer once the hype dies down?

ManuSooner repped this.
  12. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone posted this on an Oklahoma City forum:
    "If the Barons are going to be around long term, Prodigal won't be involved, they have turned their focus to soccer, most of us fans realize this. Heck, this Saturday the Barons game is at 8:00 and the doors aren't opening until 7:30, 30 minutes before (ALWAYS an hour before). I haven't gotten an explanation, but my guess is all the staff will be at the Energy game and then SOME will come work the Barons game.

Also, the Energy haven't played a single game and have THEIR OWN STORE. Only way to get Barons gear is at games and online."

13. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Yes, because interest in hockey is a direct correlation to interest in soccer.

14. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    And since we are discussing failures of local sports teams, how's that NPSL team shaping up? Stadium announcement yet? Schedule? Tried search, but all they seem to care about is posting articles about NASL attendance.

If SOS can't even handle a simple thing like announcing a schedule for a team that is suppose to start play in a few weeks, how can I trust them do ANYTHING right with the NASL team?

Laramie repped this.
  15. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2014 OKC FC NPSL Schedule
    Sat May 10 @ Dallas City 7:00 pm
    Fri May 16 @ Joplin Demize 7:30 pm
    Fri May 23 Fort Worth FC 7:30 pm
    Sun May 25 Tulsa Athletics 8:15 pm
    Sat May 31 Joplin Demise 8:15 pm
    Sun June 1 Liverpool Warriors 8:15 pm
    Sat July 5 College Station Clash 7:30 pm
    Sat May 31 Joplin Demise 8:15 pm
    Sun June 1 Liverpool Warriors 8:15 pm
    Sat June 7 at Liverpool Warriors 7:30 pm
    Sat June 14 at Tulsa Athletics 7:30 pm
    Tue July 1 at San Antonio Corinthians 7:30 pm
    Sat July 5 College Station Clash 7:30 pm

Laramie repped this.
  16. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    And this was posted where? And I see home games on there, they have a place to play yet?

17. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.npsl.info/index.html
    This is all the NPSL Schedule page itself says:

18. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only posted the Home games. They are finalizing the stadium this week. They had a stadium to play, then all of a sudden they were told they wouldn't be able to play, or practice, there. The assumption as to what happened? Tim M and the good folks of Prodigal submarined the deal. Whether they did, or not, after all that's happened in the past that is what they think happened. SO, until there are signatures on the contract (this week, I've been told) they will not release where they "think" they are going to play.

Laramie repped this.
  19. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Well run organization you guys have chosen to back. Blaming failures and delays on someone else is a perfect way to do business. Especially after being told how ineffectual Funk.

I have high hopes for that organization.

20. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    You didn't only post the home games. The @ next to dates like May 10th typically means the game is an away game.

And can I get a direct link to where you found that schedule? The link you provided mentions nothing about OKCFC.

21. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    we r hosting nRg. :-D

22. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    We'll need to wait and see what happens; in most cases there is a back up plan on most organization's burner. They want the best deal possible.

Let's not rush to judgment.

23. NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep Member

Jun 24, 2011
    OKC
    Club:
    DC United
    Just saw that. Looking forward to the drive up there if I can get the day off work.

Also, since Tulsa is on the list, and it's a NPSL team, why isn't OKCFC on the list? Am I missing something? I freely admit I don't know much about how the USOC works.

24. TulsaUltras

TulsaUltras New Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Tulsa won its division last year in the NPSL.

25. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OKCFC doesn't have a team to field... They don't start play until 2015.