It's never too early...Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Wingtips1, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be expected. He fits the bill.
    Doubt this one. He's seemingly done reasonably well at Dortmund in his first season, and expect him to flourish from now henceforth.

2. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Konoplyanka seems like it should be done and dusted relatively early. I don't like the idea of negotiating w/ their owner after what happened in January, but with an expiring contract (IIRC) we should have a lot more leverage.

Can't see Mkhitaryan happening, even though he's a player I really like. Doesn't make sense to move so soon after he just arrived in Dortmund. I know some fans have been a little frustrated with him, but he will settle in. There was so much turnover in that team, with lots of new players coming in and he's only had a season under Klopp.

The only way I could see Mkh wanting to leave is if Klopp leaves for Barca. It wouldn't shock me, despite everything he's said to the contrary. While it's a good fit for him at Dortmund, I could see him being a little frustrated, as he's pretty much maxed out their potential. I don't see him leaving for any other club but turning down the opportunity to coach at arguably the biggest club in the world, with virtually unlimited resources, a huge pay increase, and one of the greatest players to ever play the game, would be tough to do. Obviously the transfer ban might discourage him but he might only get one shot at managing the Catalans.

3. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    apparently the tranfer ban has been lifted for the time being. http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1794973/barcelona-welcome-fifa-transfer-ban-suspension?cc=5901

4. never walk alone TPK

Sep 27, 2004
    nairobi, kenya
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kenya
    With Barcelona having their ban suspended I have a bad feeling about the number of players they will buy to safeguard themselves incase the ban is put in place 2015 onwards.

5. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just saw reports they are signing Hummels from Dortmond and Delfeou (sp?) is extending his loan with the Ev for another season.

6. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Spurs to sign Kolo? That is the rumor making the rounds at the moment. He is a lucky charm in a title race, so why not spuds in 2015?

7. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I read somewhere that Reina would be going back to Barca.

9. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'd better get players in while they can. Need a CB and a keeper at the very least, I'd imagine.

10. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Links today and from the weekend:
    Steven Caulker
    We're now favorites for Adam Lallana.
    We're amongst a handful of teams in the running for Luke Shaw.
    Liverpool are interested in signing Bayer Leverkusen pair Emre Can and Heung-Min Son.
    Stoke City boss Mark Hughes is optimistic he will sign Liverpool winger Oussama Assaidi on a permanent deal
    Liverpool are the latest club to show an interest in Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette

liverbird repped this.
  11. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @ what sort of fee? 8-10m? 10-12m?

12. hoffa989

hoffa989 Member

Nov 3, 2012
    #337 hoffa989, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    Biased as I am :) I'd love to see Buck do a move on Inter's Mateo Kovačić. Seeing another Croatian amongst Redmen after Biščan, would be a dream for me! The lad's gonna be 20 in a week, but he's an amazing player, smart, technically strong (with a better shot than Coutinho) and puts in hard effort and doesn't think he's bigger than the club. He had a weak season, not given enough opportunity to play, but he's handled the media well. He's been playing during this month, but I doubt it he's happy. At the beginning of the month, there were rumors that he could cost 8M quid, and I honestly believe that he would pay off.

Pay attention to both kits' colours at 1:34 :)

13. Chimaera

Chimaera Member

Mar 26, 2009
    La Plata, Maryland
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, I would imagine they're going to want 18-22.

14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't think I'd want us to pay it either.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  15. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need a distraction - so the team right now for next year would be comprised of these players - going to lump them together in areas instead of the specifics for the moment (RB v LB):

GK - Migs, Jones
    Fullbacks - Johnson, Flanno, Wisdom*, Kelly, Robinson*, Enrique
    Centerbacks - Skrtel, Agger, Sakho, Toure, Wisdom*, Illori*
    Mids - Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Allen, Lucas, Suso*
    Attackers - Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling, Borini*, Ibe*, Aspas, Assaidi*

* on loan this season

We have 4 competitions next year - including 6 guaranteed CL games (though we come in 1 round later in the Capital One cup due to being in Europe). Let's start with some reasonable assumptions -
    • Assaidi and Aspas are very likely going to be sold.
    • Borini will be recalled to be part of the squad as he's shown enough this year at Sunderland to show he's got the ability and has had 2 seasons to adapt to the league
    • Suso has had a good year playing first team regularly although on a disaster team - great experience however and will be part of the team. God change for that to be the case for Wisdom too. Not sure on Wisdom or Ibe.
    • We need an upgrade on Lucas
    • We need another attacker - high quality however.
    • We need a higher quality left back, maybe even a RB too if we can't sort out the GJ situation. Flanno has been a great revelation - but we can use him as cover on both right and left and can rotate him into the starting lineup.
    • Which of the kids from the Academy might fight for a spot?

16. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if Suso comes back, Aberto will be gone and we'll get that high quality attacker

17. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alberto - good call - completely forgot about him.

18. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really arsed about the price, but he looks to be the type of player who would fit right in to the way we play. Only 25 so just entering his prime.

Bring Borini, Ibe and Suso back, add Lallana and Kono for a combined 35m and our attack looks to be settled for the foreseeable future. We'd have options on the bench and little or no drop off if we rotate.

Still leaves 30 - 40m to address the outside backs/central midfield. I'd be focusing on the LB over right. Keep Johnson for another year and we have plenty of young alternatives in the pipeline ready to make the step.

Be interesting what, if anything we do in CM. SG, Hendo, Lucas, Allen are 4 players for what is really 2 positions, considering we have Coutinho, Sterling, (Suso, Lallana) who are 3rd midfielder most of the time. Lucas seems to be a great guy to have around the team, but certainly we can get improvement in production on the pitch. Unfortunately, he's lost a step and just isn't going to get it back. Not sure Rossiter is ready for the first team squad (he's not far off though), but Coady perhaps? Wouldn't be surprise if we strengthened elsewhere in the summer, with an eye to making a move in January if none of the academy kids have shown they are ready to step up.

lcstriker11 and imasyko repped this.
  19. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adam Lallana isn't worth 15m, let alone 20m. He's had one excellent season and that makes him an attractive prospect, but Sturridge was only 12m. Let's get some perspective. I can see paying 10-12m for Lallana since he's home-grown, but no more than that.

20. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's definitely worth 15, maybe 20. He's skillful, works hard, and is professional. We'll see his real worth this summer, because he's got talent in spades but it will be important to see how he behaves when he's courted by top clubs. He strikes me as the type to keep his head down and stay out of the media, which I think shows good character.

He first caught my eye a year ago or so vs. Norwich (I think) and I posted on this board about him being tidy and impressive. I still think so. He's versatile, confident, and would be a good addition.

dcc134 and idreamofpikas repped this.
  21. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, he's had 1 relatively average season, last year when he was adjusting to the PL, but his play and production this season is in line with what he had done in the seasons before that. Granted, he's developed primarily at a lower level, but that doesn't mean he won't be a 10 goal, 5 assist per year player for us for the next 5 years.

Not sure I'd be stretching to 25m to bring him in, but 15 - 20m seems a fair value to me.

22. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so, half again what Sturridge cost? really? i guess i'm totally out of touch.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  23. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Chelsea didn't want Sturridge. Soton still want Lally- hence the premium. I'm not saying he's worth it, but that's the market we're playing in.

24. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Look at him as a Henderson-type investment. Henderson was good in his own right, but that 16 mil was because he had the technical ability, workrate, and intelligence to perform in our system. I think Lallana has that, as well. I can see him developing into a Maxi Rodriguez type player: someone who combines well, is technically gifted, and uses intelligence and good positioning.

25. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gotcha.