MLS Flavors of the Week (de-merged) 2014(R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bungadiri, Jun 9, 2011.

1. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    #51 SPA2TACU5, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    Of course!

2. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were it not for Luis Robles heroics, at this point in the early season, RBNY would have dug a hole they could not have climbed out of. Early in his tenure, I thought Ryan Meara was the superior option. Meara, of course, suffered a severe hip injury and subsequent surgery.

(Here is a picture of a goalkeeper's worst nightmare):D
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, here is Roble MLS profile information from last year.

http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/players/luis-robles

2013: Finished fourth in the voting for MLS Goalkeeper of the Year … Red Bulls Humanitarian of the Year … One of seven players in MLS and the only Red Bull to play all 3,060 minutes of the regular season … Tied for MLS lead with 17 wins … Finished third in MLS in saves (103), fourth in shutouts (11), tied for sixth in goals-against-average (1.21), and sixth in save percentage (70.1%) … Set or matched Red Bulls single-season records for minutes (3,060), games (34-tied), starts (34-tied), wins (17), shutouts (11-tied), and penalty-kick saves (2-tied) … Recorded first shutout of the season in 0-0 tie vs. D.C. United on March 16 … Made crucial penalty-kick save against Columbus playmaker Federico Higuain in 72nd minute of a scoreless game at Columbus on May 4, a game Red Bulls won on an 80th-minute Tim Cahill goal … Robles made six saves in earning that shutout at Columbus, his most in a shutout all season … Two weeks later, made highlight-reel save on Robbie Keane in scoreless game vs. LA Galaxy on May 19, a game Red Bulls won on stoppage-time Cahill goal … Won MLS Save of the Week award for a close-range kick save against Jack McInerney in 3-0 loss at Philadelphia on June 23 … Tied several other Red Bulls goalkeepers for the club’s single-season record when he saved his second penalty kick of the season in 2-1 win vs. D.C. United on Aug. 31, denying former Red Bull Dwayne De Rosario …

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    There was no promotion of Wynne. That was your misunderstanding. There was a suggestion that his underwhelming career might be improved by a change of position. OK. Understand?

There was no comparison as a Messi type dribbler. Again that is your misunderstanding.

Stick to posting pics.

4. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009

He's not a midfielder specifically because he's not good enough on the ball. If he was good enough on the ball to be a midfielder, he would be a midfielder already.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. StrikerX4

StrikerX4 Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Lawrence, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Robles has been very solid for RBNY. There is plenty of GK depth for the USMNT in MLS, that's for sure.

6. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meara's severe hip injury and surgery occurred a month before Robles joined NYRB in August of 2012. (Robles supplanted Bill Gaudette). Meara wasn't fully recovered and without pain in until the end of June of 2013, though he was available in early June. By that point, Robles had firmly established himself and had several good months after the early season brain farts in March and April [Chicago game...at Toronto]. The point is that Meara was never really a viable alternative or superior option when they were teammates, particularly after having surgery on both hips.

I was very anti Robles early last year as I thought he was an excellent shot stopper who was prone to one insane decision per game. I am now leaning towards the view that Robles is a key example for the "young players* need consistent games" adage. Before joining MLS, he had played a handful of lower division games in Germany and had maybe 40 2nd Bundesliga games spread out over 3-4 seasons. Prior to joining NYRB he had played only 5 times for Karlsruher in 2012. He has played 45 straight games for NYRB and has now grown into the job and become a very complete goalkeeper, much more than just a great Bouna Condoul-esque shot stopper who comes off his line at the wrong time and is an accident waiting to happen on crosses. I think he is forcing himself into the conversation of best keepers in MLS.

7. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Robles has been fantastic this season, but the other guy who also has me thinking "future US international" is Chris Seitz.

We should never take it for granted, but one position I'm thankfully not worried about next cycle is goalkeeper. We've got it covered in spades, I think.

8. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to agree, but if the pipeline to the next level would start back up, I might be more convinced . . .

Robles, of course, is an example of someone who gave things his best shot and then came back, as per DWSmith1972's excellent observations above.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    A bit circular and considering we have just had a discussion of Aaron Wheeler, nonsensical.

Wynne had a nice run of some games at wingback and right mid for Toronto a period of which is probably the best he's ever played in the league.

10. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    There is nothing "circular" about it. Marvel Wynne is not good enough on the ball/technically to consistently play outside mid.

And I have absolutely no idea what your point is about Aaron Wheeler. He went from forward (more technical) to defender (less technical), not the other way around. So thanks for proving my point that you can get away with being less technical the further away from goal you are?

11. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, I watch him every game (provided he actually plays) I watch as a Rapid Supporter. Hyperbole is purely in your court on this.

deuteronomy repped this.
  12. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    This is some sort of long con by IE; I refuse to believe a poster as good as he is and as smart as he seems to be thinks Marvell Wynne is some sort of good dribbler or could possibly be useful as a wingback.

13. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That hope had to have died in 2008-2009 when most realized that Marvelle Wynne just did not have the technical tools and they were not going to appear. The speed and physicality he had were/still are scary. Just did not all come together. He is a solid MLS pro though.

14. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Fire ran out a strong reserve team against Charlotte of the USL yesterday and ended up winning 3-2.

Shipp assisted goals #1 and #3

15. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dillon Serna playing CAM for Colorado today. Good lord do I feel sorry for him. He's the only one in that starting XI that has any sort of technical ability. Poor kid.

USAMEX10 repped this.
  16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Powers and Sanchez cant play because of the rug in Seattle. So what does Garber do? He signs up Atlanta to bring us another MLS team playing in an oversized NFL stadium with a vicious rug. Way to destroy the brand.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  17. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey has a brace with almost the whole second half to play. Dude is on fire right now...

18. USA All DAY

USA All DAY Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did he score the goals? How is Yedlin playing?

19. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't peak too soon, Clint!! Save some for Brazil, dude!

20. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dillon Serna with a well taken breakaway, a bit at the expense of the over committing (to intercept the pass), D'Andre Yedlin.

Tom Collingsworth and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  21. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First goal he received the ball at the top of the 18, multiple defenders tried to close him down and he made a brilliant pass to the open man who took the shot. Keeper saved it, Dempsey pounced on the rebound and chipped it over the goalie. The pass was awesome. Second goal was a corner that got headed back into the middle of the area, Dempsey was between a couple defenders, and headed it right over the keeper and under the crossbar. Typical Dempsey finishes. Can't comment too much on Yedlin, the stream is not the greatest and missed the first half. Looked like he might have been at fault for the goal though.

22. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy smokes, Batman/ Mods, how on earth did this thread get merged with the Yanks abroad flavors thread?
    Gadzooks!

23. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried to find the right thread. I gave up.

24. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin is an attacking machine, constantly utilizing his speed to gate forward. Unfortunately, this leaves him exposed and with a lot to do defensively. Seattle has enjoyed such a possession advantage, Colorado has not been able to take much advantage. It is exciting to see him go forward, he has enjoyed a lot of space, today. Remick has also attacked, a bit, from the left side.

25. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SEA vs. COL

Dempsey looks really confident. 2 goals no more needs to be said

Yedlin: Looked great getting forward and covering...for 89 minutes. Made 1 error being overly aggresive which led to the COL goal. Still his pace and ability offers more to the national team than Evans imo

Marshall really solid and great in the air. Why hasn't he gotten more looks with the NT?

Marlon Hairston came on as a sub for COL, and the youngster looks really good. I would like to see more of him in the future

yikes...I was posting in the MLS thread how did it end up here?