Weird News Thread Part III

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Pathogen, Nov 20, 2008.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    The brawl last year I'm sure didn't help either. This has been a long time coming.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah, I can see how that would happen. You got real (mostly foreign) climbers on one side and wealthy (mostly foreign) tourists on the other, with Sherpas in the middle trying to eke out a living in their own country. One of these days, in a more honest world, some little kid will be bringing a Sherpa to Show and Tell to talk about how the man helped his dad climb Everest.

The Comments, as always, reveal more about us as a society than the article.

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even reading Into Thin Air, I got the impression that the professionals/those experienced in mountain climbing respected the Sherpas, but that non-professionals did not. That was what, 15 years ago? Personally, I have high respect for them, and also understand that they consider Sagarmatha a "living" thing. Thus, my first thought is that the Sherpas would have considered the avalanche a notice that Sagarmatha is "angry."

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    'Nutter, I wouldn't play them off like that (tho I know you mean no offense). I'd like to think that pretty much all the world's people have evolved past the "natural landmarks have human emotions and feelings" point.

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    On the other hand maybe they just realised it wasn't worth getting killed by a big-arse avalanche just to make a living?

Auriaprottu repped this.
  6. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    You'd be amazed at the occupational risks people are willing to take when they have to earn a living.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  7. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Most of the experienced Sherpas these days are pretty well paid and the top guys get prestige around the world. There has been an issue with respect from the elite climbers in the last decade or so. I'm not talking about the "hey bro, you're awesome" kind of respect, I'm talking about the kind where the elite Euro and American climbers haven't always often been respecting the safe performance of their jobs. Everest is a hot mess and has been for a while. There's trash, bodies, fights, herds of Chinese newbs crowding the lines...all kinds of stuff. I know guys in the mountaineering circles that wouldn't go there out of principle. I do some trekking - though not really of that particular variety - but with some knowledge of those kinds of destinations, I wouldn't put it in my top ten anymore.

soccernutter and Auriaprottu repped this.
  8. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I've done some low level to moderate climbs in the US and Mexico in my younger years but was a huge armchair mountaineer so it was always interesting to me read how the Himalaya/Karakoram was back in the days of Hillary, Bonnington, Rosskelly and Mesner and what it has become now. The sense of adventure and exploration has been replaced by guide services that cater to anyone that is willing to ante up a lot cast and even less skill.

Back in the golden days of mountaineering there was a large level of respect for how the climbers interacted and cared for the people and families of the men that were putting themselves in harms way to help the climbers. Schools, homes, clinics...infrastructure I suppose. Climber/Doctors providing check-ups....I think you get the picture. A climber would spend season after season building up relationships in this villages. Now aside from the guide services all you get is wham bam thank you ma'am. Oxygen bottles, unburned trash and of course the erosion of nature itself.

The Sherpa is faced with the reality that job options are severely limited. As tragic as some of these incidents have been they know full well that damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Sorry for the rant but I love the subject.

soccernutter, raza_rebel and Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It might be worth the risk to the ones who are paid (significantly) more, but if enough stop or slow their participation, that would probably call even more attention to the fact that over 4,000 people are said to have successfully summited Everest. Four thousand, and I'd almost be willing to bet my next check that the Sherpas are not included in this number. It's not quite as oft-repeated as swimming the Channel, but at some point, that girl in the bar is gonna ask if you did this on your own more or less or were part of a tourist group.

crazypete13 and Moishe repped this.
  10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chickens in Queens, NY...

The rules were set down in 1913, during the infancy of this 140-acre, leafy swath that is one of America’s oldest planned communities and was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr., whose father was Frederick Law Olmsted, the famous landscape architect who helped design Central Park.
    Ms. Saye called the nuisances section — which forbids “any brewery, distillery, malt house, slaughter house, brass foundry, tin, nail or other iron foundry, lime kiln or sugar bakery, tallow candlery, crematory, hospital, asylum” — antiquated.
    She said she felt the rules should be modernized to fit the more progressive approach...
    She noted that the nuisances section also does not allow a “cattle yard, hog pen, fowl yard or house, cesspool, privy vault; nor any cattle, hogs or other live stock or live poultry.”
    “These are 101-year-old rules,” she said

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/19/nyregion/in-queens-chickens-clash-with-the-rules.html?_r=0

11. scottinkc

scottinkc Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/climbers/Everest-2007.xls

List of successful summits thru 2007. Lots of Sherpas on the list.

PM me and I'll let you know where to send that check. ;)

Auriaprottu repped this.
  12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you might be missing the cultural aspect of how they view their enviornment. As Buddhismis the primary religion/belief system in the area, many will incorporate the Buddhism principles which has a very strong connection to the environment. Mostly it is living, but it does place human "characteristics" on the non-humans. Further, Buddhism believes in the connection to everything around them. If a rock crashes though your wall, buddhism principles would say there was a message, that it was meant as a warning. So the use of the term "angry" was specifically put in quotes as it is not real, but an interpertation of.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  13. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
  14. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Do you have a list that shows what percentage those that did summit in comparison to how many actually been on the mountain or beyond base camp that didn't get that chance? I'll bet you Auria's check that the percentage makes those that summit look miniscule in comparison.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  15. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everest is becoming a lot like what Half Dome was when I climbed it some 12 years ago. a lot of inexperienced would-be adventurers/climbers choosing Half Dome as the way to overcome their fear of heights, creating an utter traffic jam all the way to the top. there were soooo many people up there who had no business on anything other than a flat trail, it wasn't even funny. I'm talking Amish girls in long skirts, who couldn't climb over a rock ledge because their long, but somewhat tight skirts would not allow them to lift one leg over the ledge. I'm talking people crying and screaming, freaking out and refusing to move out of fear, and having to be cajoled by others to take the next step.
    Krakauer recently wrote a pretty good article about this, and why climbing has become increasingly dangerous for sherpas, while it has become increasingly safer for the paying clientele. basically the former spend a lot more time in the danger zone in order for the later to have to spend a lot less time there.
    the former climb without oxygen, while carry huge loads of oxygen canisters for the later, so that their inexperienced asses could make a fairly quick run up and down the mountain.
    I think this is a power play by the sherpas in order to get more money out of their government (not the tourist climbers). they know that their government makes good money out of Everest (and by extension, off their own backs), but refuses to share much of this wealth with them. I'm guessing that they're betting on the fact that by essentially shutting down the climbing season, the government will realize that they will lose this revenue source, they will give in and give the sherpas a more favorable deal. I think it will work.

soccernutter repped this.
  16. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    personally, I don't consider summitting with the aid of oxygen a valid summit (yeah, that includes Edmund), and I don't think people who need oxygen to summit have any business on the mountain.

17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Maybe is someone told these people that Everest is not nearly the achievement that K2 is they wouldn't use Everest as an ego way to prove themselves.

18. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for real climbers, probably not. real climbers are familiar with peaks and routes. they don't even measure themselves by the peaks they've bagged (even K2) so much as the routes they've bagged.
    but increasingly, many of the people climbing Everest are amateur climbers who are doing it just to be able to say they've climbed the highest mountain on Earth. many of them are also doing the 7 highest peaks on the 7 continents. which is difficult, but the 2nd highest peaks on the 7 continents is a much, much more difficult feat.

19. scottinkc

scottinkc Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    Get your own Auria's check. I got big plans for that money.

Here's a chart that gives total and "non-porter nations" (non-China, Nepal, India) statistics. http://www.adventurestats.com/tables/EverestAgeFat.shtml

Overall success rate is 29%, while climbers from non-porter nations are successful 20%.

With so many people on the mountain (I think in Krakaour's book he describes the meeting of the expedition leaders to coordinate who will summit on which day and what time, for how long, etc.) and only having so much time above the death zone, all while being at the mercy of the weather, I'm not surprised at the statistics.

Also, I can't remember where I read that the compensation from the Nepalese gov. to the families of those that died in the avalanche was about $415.

Moishe and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I don't do the peakbagging thing, so I haven't been stuck behind many. I am surprised that some of these people are even allowed permits. I got stuck in the permit line at Teton a couple years ago behind a gaggle of college kids who were arguing with the rangers that they didn't really need an ice ax for each person on one of the more challenging summits. Another time I found a father and son who were pretty deep in the Bogachiel river gorge in Olympic. They were two days away from where they thought they were, and three days away from where they thought they'd get to that evening. They were trying to navigate with the 8 x 11 xerox map they got at the gate. A week later when I walked out, I started checking the news to see where they died. I was a bit surprised when I didn't find anything.

I think you're right about the Sherpas. The problems are so entrenched there that it'll really take some doing to get it corrected.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  21. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Hmmm. Here is a movie idea. Hyper rich guy hires an Everest team but the Sherpas turn out to be Nepalese Maoist Guerrillas who take the entire group hostage at 25ooo feet and make demands on rich guys military contracting firm. Only one man can stop them. Ex CIA, but they wont let him leave...

(I heard he was the first man to summit Denali barefoot)

22. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Sounds like it should involve Liam Neeson's daughter.

23. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do a lot of hiking (including my share of peak bagging - can't live in Colorado and not be into that), and it never ceases to amaze me just how unprepared people set out on a trail. I'm not saying you have to prepare for every 5 mile hike like it was an expedition to both peaks of Mt. Kilimanjaro, but damn! the thing is, you may end up carrying some equipment or article of clothing 30 times, and not use it. but if you don't think you'll ever need it and leave it out of your backpack (and I see many people set out without even a backpack - just a small bottle of water) the 31st time, it may end up costing you your life, or maybe you'll just have a cool war story to retell - if you're lucky. nature is very unforgiving that way.

as for Everest, it's all money driven. and until the money gets distributed a little more equitably, this will remain a problem.
    the Nepalese government has a lot to gain from each permit they hand out. hence the pressure to hand them out to unqualified climbers. I think the solution is that the sherpas need to be represented in the permitting process.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's pretty close to the number I heard on NPR this morning. Struck me as being kind of low.

25. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    unprepared and often suicidally clueless. many tears ago i hiked with a friend out of yosemite valley. a lot of people take the day hike to vernal and (yosemite? nevada?) falls but once you get past that it thins out. anyway, we knew there were people behind us (real nature lovers, you could hear them talking a quarter mile off) and when we stopped to rest for the last push and plan which campsite we'd try to fetch the couple hauled into sight...

- christ, what are you two doing up here???

- well, you're up here to0, we figured you knew where you were going.

- that's right, we do! we're going to try for the rae lakes... and we've got two weeks' worth of gear to do it. whereas you are in, let's see, sneakers, light sweaters... no water... your chances are probably almost as good to back into the valley before dark as ours of getting to king's canyon if you start back now. and hurry. walk as fast as you can but don't run.

we gave them some water, a space blanket and advice to not to stop until it got dark but stay put absolutely once it did.

all in all i think their adventure was bigger than ours.

Dr. Wankler repped this.