MLS Flavors of the Week (de-merged) 2014(R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bungadiri, Jun 9, 2011.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Wheeler has been excellent; he has not only been physically dynamic but especially for someone who never played the position tactically astute. Still hoping Sapong and Wenger make the transition to CB.

Madrid, counter attacking aces; Moo is being done proud. The game could use Chelsea's cute physio though.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Wenger tops my current list of MLS forwards who I believe would make a much better center back, though his move to Philly will almost certainly prolong his career as a forward.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yep, looks like Wenger set for a decent MLS career as a striker. Would like to see Wynne move in the opposite direction to right mid.

4. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
  5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
  6. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem with that is he has no Technical ability at all, thats why he is riding bench and not even playing at RB these days.

deuteronomy repped this.
  7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Another tired trope. Wynne is actually 7th in the league in dribbles completed per game. His tactical awareness is in the back is horrible though.

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Yeah, the odds seem very low that we'll be seeing Wenger in central defense any time soon.

9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    From MLSsoccer.com:

Union center back Wheeler continues to excel after conversion from striker

10. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    is Dempsey a flavor of the week this week?

12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    For the sake of my fantasy team, I should hope so. ;)

On the form scale of 1-10, he's rated a solid "10" since his 2-game suspension.

13. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter Vermes expects to throw 17 year old Erik Palmer-Brown into the mix with the injury to Ike Opara:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...-brown-preparing-first-team-debut-im-ready-it

It's great to be a 17 year old with a future. Exciting and fearless . .

“I saw one of the games,” Vermes said. “I thought he played very well. I thought he was a real strong player in the back for them. Those games are all going to be important for him moving forward, and now it's just getting him back and adapted and adjusted to us.”

“When you put a guy like him in at this level in an MLS game, it's just going to be a learning curve,” Vermes said. “You hope for a couple of things. One, you hope that he's very concentrated and extra attentive, and he plays with confidence. The other is that you hope the guys, the elder statesmen with the experience, are the guys who help to bring him along.”

Palmer-Brown's 6-foot-1 frame has filled out to 175 pounds since he turned professional last summer, but physical development is only half the equation, both he and Vermes said.

“You've got to be focused for the whole game,” Palmer-Brown said. “The game's a lot quicker – bigger, stronger, faster guys. I've got to be smart on the ball, too. So really, it's going to come down to how confident I am and how I work with the team.”
    Palmer-Brown has made progress on both fronts, Vermes said, but his age can't be discounted.

“I think in all the aspects of his game since he's been with us, he's definitely developed,” he said. “He's still a young kid, and he's trying to develop into a man's body. There are situations where you kind of forget that he's 16-17 years old, and sometimes that's good and sometimes that's bad. There's still a lot of other development that he has to do.

“Some of that's emotional, some of that's psychological, and we have to be mindful of that. But it's usually something you only forget for a short period of time.”

14. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DiscoWarrior11 and deuteronomy repped this.
  15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I liked the slide tackle Wenger made back in the Gareth Bale wing back territory last Saturday.

One of the things I find strange about BS posters is how they dont see wingers as defenders.

16. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lazy generalization. I'm a BS poster and I value defensive qualities in wingers.

17. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All that stat shows that he can get buy people. He basically does this using quickness and speed. It doesn't prove anything about his technical ability - or at least his touch in tight spaces, which, BTW, is very bad.

Tom Collingsworth and COMtnGuy repped this.
  18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #43 IndividualEleven, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    He does it in tight spaces. Quickness and agility are pretty important athletic traits in soccer. Messi et al aren't doing it on telepathy. The top 10 for last year's MLS season were definitely not push it sideways and run past people types. Wynne again has terrible awareness for a defender and has not improved.

19. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not arguing pro or con re Wynne as a player. Just that his touch, shooting and passing are poor and the fact that he has good dribble statistics doesn't contradict my opinion on this. He has good dribbling stats not because he is a technical player because his speed and agility allow him to beat people off the dribble on the wing, at least in MLS.

20. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #45 deuteronomy, Apr 24, 2014
    Herein lies the issue with using statistics as a measuring point for soccer players.

Marvell Wynn has been benched by his coach for not playing well, for Colorado's most recent three matches.
    Hardly anyone on these boards is surprised or even cares. The net result is that Colorado goes on a three match unbeaten streak.

A single poster pulls a Whoscored statistic out and compares Marvell's dribbling ability to Lionel Messi.
    The trained eye might suggest "What on earth is a player like Marvell Wynn doing dribbling so much?" This could be a problem for his team.

Predictably, the thread is hijacked. The situation reminds me of the overweight girl in the eighth grade who wears short skirts to garner attention.

Marvell is probably not a candidate to be discussed on this thread, here. And this is a perfect example of how much of a "red herring" and how misleading statistics can actually be.

DiscoWarrior11, COMtnGuy and Marko72 repped this.
  21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #46 IndividualEleven, Apr 24, 2014
    I've watched him play. He has good technique . There are some players like EJ for example who are push and run past the guy dribblers; Wynne isn't one of them. Top dribblers last season were, Zusi, Mapp, Jackson, Nyarko, Nagbe, Reo-Coker, Farfan, Alonso, Farrell, and Castillo, a fairly skilled group.

Dribbling isn't the be all and end all of technique, but it's a fairly good proxy with the exception I've highlighted.

22. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    This is the problem with trying to have a rational discussion. Plain and simple. Hyperbole rules all.

23. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, start a thread using the Whoscored evidence to promote Marvell Wynn. Leave your hyperbole of comparing him to a Messi type dribbler in tight spaces out.
    Explain why Colorado needs Marvell to be a dribbler to be successful.

See where the rational discussion leads . . .

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  24. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Another underwhelming performance by Hooston last night.

Bruin was invisible for the entire game with the exception of one big chance to make it 2-1, right after the break, which was expertly saved by Robles - another solid performance.
    Tally Hall also came up with some great saves.
    Dax looked a bit sloppy. Wenger had a huge miss, to make it 2-1 just, just before half time.
    Alexander looked good. Better than last game.
    And oh, Connor Lade got a couple of minutes.

25. StrikerX4

StrikerX4 Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Lawrence, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All true, and agreed, except I think you meant Driver, not Wenger.

Bruin and Barnes were a poor combo up top. I don't usually follow Houston so closely, but I don't know why Cummings wasn't starting. He complements Bruin much better.