"Bro, do you even Madridismo?" - A Historical, Cultural & Philosophical Primer of Real Madrid CF

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by macaluca, May 7, 2007.

1. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    In 1997, Club Celaya(known as Atlético Celaya back then) signed Hugo Sanchez. This reunited him with El Buitre and Michel, who went to Mexico earlier.

[​IMG]

2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    One of the greatest performances against Barcelona: Ivan Zamorano's hattrick in 1994/1995. He also had two assists, I think. The game was the same match I mentioned about Michael Laudrup before. We won 5-nil.

temesgen, Deep Pal, Zidane05 and 5 others repped this.
  3. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #254 Excape Goat, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    This is not really about Real Madrid. It was about the Madridista and Bernabeu. I posted about this because I think this is something about sportsmanship and Madridista. The name of the player on the video was Gerrie Muhren, whom i watched as a child when he played in the Hong Kong. His brother Arnold Muhren was more famous because he played for Man Utd in the 1980's and won the European Championship in 1988, but Gerrie was actually the better player. Furthermore, Gerrie missed the WC in 1974 because his son was seriously ill.... he would have been the starter and became a much more famous player.

The video below was taken in the 1972-1973 European Cup semi-final against Real Madrid at the Bernabeu. He was playing for the visiting Ajax. When he did keepie-uppie, the Bernabeu fans cheered him on. He became an instant hero in the Bernabeu. In fact, I read that his photo with this play is still in the Bernabeu museum. According to a book I read, Gerrie Muhren walked out of the stadium with a few teammates after the game wearing Ajax gear. It was an era before soccer players became international superstars. None of the Madristas recognized him. They thought that he was an Ajax fan. The Madridistas wanted to speak to him about the greatness of Ajax and Gerrie Muhren in general. I believed he also scored the winning goal, but the fans at Bernabeu still loved him that night.

The footage did not showed.... after Muhren passed the ball, the next player sent it into the box and Ajax nearly scored.

This was from Ajax. I did not understand Dutch, but they might talk about Muhren's story in Bernabeu that night.

Buyo, S1na, temesgen and 4 others repped this.
  4. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    I remember posting pictures of the ceremony and the medals (they gave him two of those at two different times).

Those guys are so full of shit. They blame Franco (a hardcore atleti fan) for our success and their failures yet he was the reason they didn't shut their club down.

temesgen repped this.
  5. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Never forget. What a player.

Deep Pal and Excape Goat repped this.
  6. anticule

anticule Member+

Feb 17, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
  7. RoyalWhites

RoyalWhites Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I am interested with RM's hooligans. Any good stories on that? Did they even have hardcore hoooligans?

8. madridi92

madridi92 Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Well before they were removed from the stadium earlier this year, the Ultras Sur were always there every home game. There used to be thousands of them behind the goal, but they constantly caused trouble due to racist chants and bringing in Nazi flags a few times to some games. In terms of hooliganism, they aren't as strong or notorious as some of the other Ultras groups around Europe.

This was the Champions League Semi final in 1998 against Dortmund, and the Ultras caused one of the goals to fall and the match was delayed for an hour as a result.

9. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    if you look close you can neymar sr's leg sticking out right next to Costa's penguin suit, he must be there to get his cut.... :D

10. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I remember some talk on here about this time last year about whether the Ultras needed to be removed, and I remember the tone of the conversation being largely hypothetical, as if centered around the thought that it was very unlikely to happen. I was [pleasantly] caught by surprise when they removed them, as I never relished seeing this shit at bottom in our stands:

[​IMG]

Hopefully the club still manages to put together some awesome tifos without them.

IIRC Atleti has a much bigger right wing fascist support/hooliganism problem than we do.

12. anticule

anticule Member+

Feb 17, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    now anit that somethin... lol

13. Laaura

Laaura Member+

Apr 2, 2009
    Manchester
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Here's another recent one by Adidas that made me teary eyed (I cry over everything, my tears mean nothing :cry:)

sleepyvato50 repped this.
  14. nicafornica

nicafornica Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    is that a confederate flag in Madrid? Or ....do they have a similar flag with the same meaning lol?

15. zohee

zohee Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    I remember this game as one of the most fun in recent years.

The passion the team showed here, was really something else. Higuain celebrating like crazy is the icing on the cake. Good times.

Madrid_1902 repped this.
  16. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yep, that's the battle flag, as I've seen among the Ultras Sur many times on TV. I'm not sure exactly what they meant to symbolize with it (some of our Spanish friends may be able to help us out with that), but it certainly fits with their racist disposition.

Excape Goat and nicafornica repped this.
  17. Madrid_1902

Madrid_1902 Member+

Jul 6, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I was sitting in El Fondo Sur at this game. Incredible atmosphere and delighted to say I have experienced a last minute remontada. Can't believe it has been 4 years since I was at the Bernabéu :(.

18. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Deep Pal and RMSocrates repped this.
  19. nicafornica

nicafornica Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    there are no USA players to have played for real madrid :( If only i would have played soccer and be good at it and become a world class player....ahhh well ...there is fifa but i am too lazy for that.

20. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Solari was a fine player, unappreciated. Sort of got lost in the shuffle in the galactico era.

RMSocrates, raven3k and Madrid_1902 repped this.
  21. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Stockton :rolleyes: I still love you anyway Santi :D

22. Minduchio

Minduchio Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Santiago Solari is actually first coach of Cadete B ( 14-15 year olds) .

23. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We talked about Zidane as our future manager someday on the other thread. Let's talk about our ex-Real Madrid players as managers or coaches.

Di Stefano spent over a decade coaching before he returned to Real Madrid. He won la Liga, Copa del Rey and the Cup Winners' Cup with Valencia. He spent two seasons with Real Madrid, I think. His coaching career was known for two main things: He collected five runner-up medals in five titles in 1982-1983, but he also gave debut to la Quinta del Buitre. He lost the European Cup Winners' Cup final to Aberdeen that put Sir Alex Ferguson on the map. If Di Stefano beat Sir Alex's Aberdeen, Sir Alex might never get the Man Utd job. Ironically, Sir Alex was at Hampten Park in 1960 when Di Stefano and friends beat Frankfurt. That Real Madrid team inspired the young Sir Alex.

Puskas never coached Real Madrid. His record supposed to be poor, but he did take Panathinaikos to the European Cup Final in 1971, where they lost to Ajax. It was also the first of Ajax's three straight European Cup titles. Puskas was also known for sending Bobby Robson home. It was Bobby Robson's first ever managerial job, but the team replaced him with Puskas before he even started(two teams combined that season; both Puskas and Robson were the manager of the new team, but Puskas won the power struggle). That sent Robson unemployed and almost switched career. If Robson did not get another chance, Mourinho might be an English teacher somewhere in Portugal. Of course, Robson also went to Barcelona where he coached Ronaldo.

I do not know much about the careers of the other Real Madrid players of that generation. Munoz was the most successful Real Madrid coach in history. That's it for now. Santamaria coached Spain in 1982. Didi led the great Peru team of the WC 1970. Luis Molowny won two UEFA Cup with Real Madrid.

Buyo, Deep Pal, CivilProtection and 6 others repped this.