It's Al Lang...For a While

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Rowdies' started by kenntomasch, Sep 12, 2012.

1. cruzazulsdad

cruzazulsdad Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    with MLS teams in Miami and Orlando do you really think they would put a third team in Florida, just asking

2. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? Florida isn't one market, nor is it only two. Tampa Bay is one of the largest metro areas in the country and one of the largest media markets. MLS likely won't stop expanding before it reaches at least 28 teams, and could possibly push to 32 just like the NFL. There are enough large cities, and the game is growing. That is years down the road, of course.

If a potential owner stepped up, got things down in the way of local government support and a stadium deal, MLS and Garber (or whoever the future commissioner might be) would be hard pressed to turn them down.

And I know Kenn is just waiting for someone to say rivalry so he can swoop in and berate us, but MLS DOES like to talk alot about rivalry. Three teams in Florida has the potential to be special.

Now I'll leave the floor and allow Kenn to come tell us all about how these rivalries would be fake and contrived, and that just because they are new doesn't mean they have substance or value blah blah blah.

Putting that aside though, just looking at the basics, there isn't any reason Tampa Bay couldn't be seriously considered for a team in a future where MLS has 28 to 32 teams.

FNovoa repped this.
  3. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    There are 3 teams in California. 2 in texas and SA is looking to get to the MLS as well

4. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    #254 FNovoa, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    Speedcake is on the money with this post. Why not us in the future? Like he mentioned, we have a big metro area of 5 million people. 14th largest media market in the USA. (I have to check, I could be incorrect)

Also, if Cali, Texas, and New York can have multiple teams why not add the 4th most populated state? (Florida). I realize they already have with Orlando and Miami, but Tampa Bay would be ideal as another Florida team.

Cali, Texas and New York rank up there in population as well as we do here in Florida. NYCFC and RBNY will be separated by I think less than 20 miles. Orlando and Tampa is more than that (add Miami too, obviously). So we can't really say it would not be ideal because of location with that being the example.

I see it as a no brainer, but also as a realist and being fair, I can see both sides. But of course my heart says it could be done, while my head says that money talk until Tampa Bay gets an owner that is wealthy and has MLS dreams. Who would have known that the Austin Aztex would become Orlando City, and then in a few years time Orlando get awarded an MLS franchise? That was a shock to me, but if they can do it, why can't we?

Since I'm daydreaming here, if we could have an insanely wealthy owner, local govt support and a stadium deal...Tampa Bay would be ideal due to its soccer history and god forbid rivalries and maybe a Florida Cup. Instant rivalries with Atlanta, Orlando, and Miami. (possibly play for a southern "regional" cup as well?). I would like to think MLS would want all of that. It would not be good business sense if they did not, IMO.

But again this would be years down the road. If they (Atlanta, Miami and Orlando) can do it, how come we can't? (with obvious factors in play)

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any news on St Pete doing anything address Edwards issues with Al Lang?

6. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I've heard.

7. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    He has done a lot with what he has had to work with in such a short time.
    Improved the fan game experience with the addition of the sideline seating.
    Has got a major Jersey Sponsor in Hard Rock.
    Local TV Network coverage.
    A veteran Goalie to lead.
    Last minute pro team for Pre Season
    Cross over league play with Orlando with home game July 4th weekend
    ESPN3 game of the week in week 3

FNovoa repped this.
  8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fairly confident NO one is saying Edwards hasn't done anything that wasn't awesome since taking over. But before the season started he handed a list of complaints to St Pete, and the city was very public about their disgust with the Rowdies for daring to complain.

Edwards doesn't strike me as a type who warns others and then let's it slide.

9. Support Your Local FC

Jun 12, 2012
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Is the attendance drop off for the second home game cause for worry, or is it still too early since Edwards took over for him to have made enough improvements/changes in the FO ticket sales operations?

10. tampafanp

tampafanp New Member

Jul 8, 2004
    tampa
    The Rowdies game was the second highest attended from all of this weeks NASL matches.

FNovoa repped this.
  11. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Don't recognize you as being a regular, so I will treat you kindly:)

Rowdies' attendance has been slowly increasing since their move to St Pete. This is their fourth season at ALF and it was their best season opening at Al Lang by a wide margin. You are 'worried' about a gate that qualifies as their 10th best all time and the second best gate ever in the month of April with this year's opener being the best. Hardly cause for concern.

I expect that the Rowdies should easily beat their 2013 average of 4044. My guess is they will come in around the 4,500 mark.

Edwards has the ability to take this club to the top of the league attendance wise. Now if only he could fix the stadium issues.....

FNovoa and brentgoulet repped this.
  12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone notice in MLS's NYCFC announcement of playing at Yankees next year that the Yankees said they "proved" soccer and baseball can co-exist in Tampa?

Any survivors of the Steinnbrenner Stadium days care to chime in on that point?

13. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I am sure the Yankees feel that way because they cashed the Rowdies' rent checks and couldn't care less that it was a horrible fan experience.

The idea that baseball and soccer teams can coexist in a stadium together is utter horseshit. Just wait until the Virginia Cavalry find this out. Oh, they won't ever make it on the field most likely, so dodged a bullet there.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why is the field so crap?

15. Support Your Local FC

Jun 12, 2012
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    #265 Support Your Local FC, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    Indy and San Antonio didn't have home games this week. So that throws that comparison more than a little bit off.

I was just a little disappointed to see a drop off from 7,100+ the first week to 4,600+ for the second home game. And going from 4,051 average last year (according to http://dohertysoccer.com/2013-lower-division-attendances/2013-nasl-attendance/) to something like 4,500 this year would be an improvement, yes, but, well, I was hoping for a slightly bigger bump than 449 (or 456 as the case may be)! Perhaps I am just being too hopeful. :(

I was also hoping I would get more specific responses from the regulars here, if anyone was aware of specific answers as to what Edwards has done in the FO: have more people been hired to sell tickets, that sort of thing. I don't live in the Tampa Bay area anymore so I have to follow things at a distance over the internet. I don't have a local feel for what is going on. Hence my concern/questions.

Oh yeah and 20,000+ for Sacramento's first home game in USL. So maybe I'm just suffering from attendance envy. Yeah, that's probably it. I just want to see the Rowdies home support get better a little faster.

Not trying to be a Negative Nelly, just was hoping that with the Edwards regime we might see more than just gradual improvements in attendance (which are nice, I'm not arguing against that). Who knows....maybe we'll hit 5,000 attendance average this year! A lad can dream. :)

FNovoa repped this.
  16. Support Your Local FC

Jun 12, 2012
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    I blames the gridiron footballers (St. Petersburg Tide). And the baseballers. Basically blame the St. Pete Baseball Commission.

Also I hate those alternate uniforms. They look like something I would have worn in high school gym class. If it does not have green and yellow hoops on it somewhere it ain't Rowdies uniforms IMHO.

17. Support Your Local FC

Jun 12, 2012
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Well he'll need to set up more seats at Al Lang to do that since Indy is averaging 10,000+ after 2 home games, and Al Lang even with the extra seats only tops out at a little over 7,000....

Sorry, I'm just Moriarty with the negative waves today.... :)

18. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Tulsa's USL Pro team will be playing at a minor league baseball stadium with the owners of the bseball also running the ball park and soccer team so they will be looking at it as a synergy role with more dates and owning both teams that will play at the ball park

19. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Condition of the grass was one of the club's preseason complaints to the City. Does look horrible.

20. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Just because people keep trying to do it doesn't mean it works buddy. Trust me, I have seen it first hand. Horseshit is a charitable term.

21. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    I don't think it can. Our first season in 2010 at GSF was terrible. The field was too narrow and no one wanted to play the ball is the baseball dirt in field. There were many boring games.

I don't know what the agreement with the Yankees and NYCFC will have for playing soccer there. I can't imagine them covering up the dirt infield with grass every week to then take it off for the Yankees home games. It seems to me like a logistical nightmare.

22. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies

I agree. No reason why that field can be better. This is our 2nd home game and there already sand on the field and it looks like poop. I find it embarrassing. How can a field that rarely sees baseball play be in that bad of shape in March-April? The field looks like a full season has been played on it, and we are 3 games into the spring season.

We need a true soccer field and a true soccer stadium.

brentgoulet repped this.
  23. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Well the Devil Rays used Al Lang for spring training up until 2008.
    The Rowdies did not move in until 2011.
    Canada and Dutch National Baseball teams as well as a Korean pro baseball team have also used Al Lang for spring training since 2011 as well.
    If the Rowdies can secure more soccer events at Al Lang the baseball teams should be looking for other better veneues for their Spring training and Al Lang can rid the stadium of the baseball infield and replace with a full time soccer pitch and seating could be adjusted.
    Plenty of soccer clubs come through Florida to train each year.
    With three DII NCAA soccer programs in the area playing in the Sunshine State Conference the Rowdies could host their post season tournament if their were a full time soccer pitch.
    Partnering with the 3 DII schools Tampa, St Leo, and Eckerd the beautiful Tampa-St Pete area could be a prime location for the Rowdies to host a pre season soccer tournament with three international clubs to play.
    A PDL team would also be able to connect with the top players from these DII schools as well as Univesity of South Florida and other Florida area schools.
    TV partner Great 38 televising the games and big sponsors like Hard Rock sponsoring.
    I have a strong feeling Mr Edwards will be thinking big to gain the support of the city

FNovoa repped this.
  24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CHRISTOPHER O'DONNELL for The Tampa Tribune 5 hours ago
    Rowdies' owner critical of Basecall Commission

http://legalpronews.findlaw.com/article/a236a5dcf0fc59529ae3094b86eb7b1c

25. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

Good for Edwards. Florida and the Tampa St Pete area is flooded with baseball complexes. Edwards will likley outbid the baseball Commison and once he can get control of management of the stadium and its adjacent practice fields the Rowdies would be able to thrive.
    I am sure that all of the money and activiety that the baseball commision brings in would likley become more as soccer clubs from all over the world come to Florida to train