Canaries in a coal mine - the other teams thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Romfordray, Feb 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RitztotheRubble

RitztotheRubble Member+

Apr 15, 2011
    winning the championship with seven games to spare, in the cup final, and still an excellent chance of progressing to the champions league final. indeed, it must be nice to be pep.

Frankball repped this.
  2. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    difficult to win a league when you buy the best players from your rivals, innit.

I like Pep a lot, but he has worked hard to ruin a great attacking side. One of the best attacking sides we have seen in years, and people are sitting back and allowing it.

Romfordray repped this.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    .... Drama Queen, feel the beat from the tambourine

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nice, i have heard italian people say past-a not par-sta before. Does it really matter, u yanks cant pronounce alluminium correctly and i have heard american tourists here say war-wick instead of warrick (the silent w is confusing) lie-sesster instead of leicester and stratford uponavon instead of stratford upon ay-von

Every country has its own dialect, and its people try and pronounce words using their own language code

5. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Robben is no Messi either. It was almost too funny to see him try to cut in like Messi and get the ball taken away from him time and again. God I hate that bald fukker.

6. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    They're doing it because they're in England. Ask an Italian person what the correct pronunciation is.

:rolleyes: You do realize that Americans spell that word differently, yes? It's aluminum. It's not mispronunciation.

No one is talking about irregular words - there's no way someone from the states would know that you drop the "w" in warwick. Why would we? Whereas there's absolutely no excuse for mispronouncing "Martinez" for half a decade now.

That's not an excuse for announcers, and it doesn't excuse the English lack of interest in learning correct pronunciation of words that are easy to discover. It's a weird lacunae.

7. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, you're spelling it differently...

nicephoras repped this.
  8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Correctly! It's our language swine!

9. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    My favorite is the chap doing the milk cup games who found out double L in spanish is pronounced like a J. So he thought all Ls are pronounced like J. So Carlos Vela, was Carlos Veja. lulz.

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Robben is great, but he should be allowed to be Robben.

Arsenal, if they can afford it, should try and save Javi Martinez from the Pep Mess.

11. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a good point. The legal hassle between FIFA and FC Barcelona could drag on to the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) - the sport version of the United States Supreme Court and European Court of Justice.

12. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I would not mind this in the least.

13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A friend of mine (huge Bayern fan) was at the game last night and wrote this..... He made some interesting points. Needless to say he is not a Pep fan...

"A game that could have been for Bayern but thanks to the genius of Guardiola... How in the world do you start Rafinha in a game like this one when you need your offense to put a bit of pressure on Madrid's defense...

I could guarantee anyone I thought Lahm, Dante, Boatend, Alaba would have started on defense.. Ribery, Schweini, Kroos, Robben or Muller and at forward Mandzukic and Robber or Muller... Guardiola could have been a great coach at Barcelona but he is not a good fit for Bayern... I would be insane to substitute Ribery even if he was not playing at his best today... Schweini subbed as well? Guardiola should know Bayern was not playing against Sunderland...

This is Real, a great team that can beat you in so many ways... Guardiola, you need to pack your bag and go... Ever since you came to Bayern, they have not been playing their normal football... It is time for you to look at yourself in the mirror and say I screwed it all up for the Bavarians... It looks like you have accepted and chosen Bayern to destroy their football culture...
    People in Munich must be asking themselves "why did they ask Heynckes to retire"? With all due respect, if Bayern fail to qualify for the UCL final, Guardiola "the mad scientist" should be fired... ManU and AC Milan are in dire needs of a coach..."

14. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's an Argentine dialect.

15. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noah Webster changed alluminium to aluminum on a complete whim. He just liked how it sounded better. He didn't change all of the other elements that end in "ium". We Americans still say uranium, plutonium, barium, etc.

16. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2641 Frankball, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    So far, thirteen football clubs are mathematically guaranteed for the 2014-15 Premier League.

1. Liverpool
    2. Chelsea
    3. Manchester City
    4. Arsenal
    5. Everton
    6. Tottenham
    7. Manchester United
    8. Southampton
    9. Newcastle United
    10. Stoke City
    11. Crystal Palace
    12. ???
    13. ???
    14. ???
    15. ???
    16. ???
    17. ???
    18. Leicester City (2013-14 Football League Championship Champion)
    19. Burnley (2013-14 Football League Championship runner-up)
    20. ??? (The winner of the 2013-14 Football League Championship playoff) (Right now, Derby County and Queens Park Rangers clinched the playoff berth)

With 3 or 4 matchdays left (the former are West Ham United, Swansea City, Norwich City, and Fulham, and the latter are Hull City, Aston Villa, West Brom, and Sunderland), which bottom three football clubs get relegate to the 2014-15 Football League Championship?

It's going to be very exciting.

17. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Palace are mathmatically safe? Another season with Tony Pulis. ugh

18. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Favoriate Brit phrase: "The Pentagon is not made of aluminum, but is located in Maryland".

19. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best youtube compliation I've seen in awhile.

Jamooky repped this.
  20. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Whiskey.
    Tango.
    Foxtrot.

21. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Nope.

22. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    IIRC, when Martinez was doing world cup commentary, i believe his name was pronounced Martin-ez, with him in the studio. Castilian the official language of Spain, but there are a several regional dialects, including Catalan. Roberto Martinez was born in the province of of Catalonia. I can't be 100% certain, but I suspect this explains the difference in the pronunciation of his last name.

23. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We in the States are just used to Mexican/Carribean Spanish pronunciations.

24. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Which for the most part derived from Castilian Spanish.

25. RitztotheRubble

RitztotheRubble Member+

Apr 15, 2011
    with the exception of maybe hull, i wish all of those teams could go down. to me the bottom half of the table has been more shit than usual this season.

Frankball repped this.