RSL 2014, Game 8: Vancouver Whitecaps at RSL, Saturday, April 26, 2014 @ 7:30 UDT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by El-ahrairah, Apr 21, 2014.

1. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. I'm not sure what to think of this game since Vancouver is as big of rival in the same way that Seattle, Portland, El Lay, Colorado or San Jose are. I guess "meh" about sums up the game for me.

Anyway, Vancouver played to a 2-2 tie with El Lay and RSL just thumped Portland 1-0, so make of it what you will. Prediction: RSL over Vancouver 2-0. Goals by Saborio and Plata.

2. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we give Vancouver opportunities in the middle of our defense like we did with Portland, we'll get buried.

A bit nervous. Hoping for a strong defensive performance - which we haven't seen for a couple of weeks (outside of GK).

3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Measuring rivalries, I do not place Vancouver into the same slot as LA of Colorado. They are a Conference opponent and the games are intense as with all of our conference foes, but I do not view them as a "rival" per se. Nor do I view Seattle, Portland and SJ in that way.

I like our chances against them Saturday, at home. Especially if Plata sees a lot of playing time. I expect to see smarter play from the mids as it relates to stupid turnovers in bad places. I think RSL 3-1 Whitecaps is a reasonable prediction.

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darren Mattocks scares the shit out of me with how slow our defense can be. You add in a guy like Miller who is nearly as clinical in his finishing as Robbie Keane... RSL defense has to show up. And the midfield? Lets pass the ball to the team in red this game.

Lizzie Bee and BalanceUT repped this.
  5. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think Vancouver is dangerous. Probably the most underrated team in the west.
    They've got a lot of good players and lack of chemistry is probably why they're not blowing anyone away with their performances so far this year.
    If we play like we did against Portland they'll probably tear us apart like they did to NYRB in their season opener.

Mattocks is scary because he is playing much smarter and less selfish. I know last year he'd blow a lot of chances by not looking for a teammate, but now he's more willing to let go of the ball. That's got him 3 assists already.

6. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope we have a good showing. I'm a little bummed since I'll probably miss this game. The joys of getting to do car repairs instead. It'll feel weird since this is likely the first home game I'll have missed in about 3 years.

7. WasatchDuck

WasatchDuck Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Downtown
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    You guys seriously don't view Seattle as a rival?

Anyway - I have a feeling we will see lots of goals on Saturday night.

I'm going with 3-2

8. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't view them as one. You can't call everyone a rival or it dilutes the meaning. For me it's always the cRapids, and to a lesser extent, LA, since we always seem to be going up against them. I'm not a fan of teams like Seattle and KC, but I wouldn't call them rivals.

15 to 32, RSLer, TheBiff and 1 other person repped this.
  9. WasatchDuck

WasatchDuck Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Downtown
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I think Seattle has been more of a rival than Colorado in the past few years.

10. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #10 BalanceUT, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Think that all you want. There is a cup competition between us and Colorado. Seattle is just another team in the western conference. Of course, we want to beat all the western conference teams, but we can hardly be rivals with all these teams that have been supposed to be our rivals over the past couple of years:
    Colorado
    Los Angeles
    Seattle
    Portland
    San Jose
    Kansas City

That many rivals dilutes the meaning of the word. Rival is 1, 2, maybe 3 teams. It is sustained over time, not just recent competitive history due to both teams being viable contenders for a particular prize. It is important regardless of which team is up and which is down, the game always matters to both teams.

Seattle isn't a rival, we have disdain for their fans because of their arrogant "we invented football" attitude and one players whom we dislike due to violent playing style: Alonzo.

Los Angeles is not a rival, we have disdain for them because of the special treatment the organization gets from MLS.

Portland is not a rival, we have respect and admiration for a city and club that is doing it right who always is competitive even if they appear to be landing on the wrong side of things against us and particularly this year. We get up for those games because they are very worthy opponents who bring a good game.

San Jose is not a rival, we have disdain for the thuggish and ugly brand of football they play: their loft and crash the box offensive 'tactics'.

Kansas City is not a rival. There is something personal between the two teams dating back a while for unclear reasons.

Note for San Jose in particular, we dislike them because of their current playing style. It wasn't always that way, and if they changed their playing style (new coach, new players, no more Lenhart, for instance) we'd probably not care much more than 'must beat teams in our conference'.

15 to 32 repped this.
  11. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is match where 3 points are to be expected. Hope we don't come out flat.

12. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our form to start the season:
    WDDWDDW

So I'm fully expecting a tie out of this one, probably in the form of a late goal given up, possibly in added extra additional stoppage time on top of the normal stoppage time.

KendaReal repped this.
  13. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    We should make a game of it.
    "What minute of extra time does the other team equalize?"
    and "Whose fault will it be?"
    Guess correctly for fun prizes.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  14. Sabra

Sabra Member

Oct 4, 2010
  15. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, I do not remember having a female AR for a RSL game at the RioT before. Anyone?

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2014-4-23_12-56-36.jpeg

17. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Considering the name, I have absolutely no idea on the gender of AR1. But, if he/she were up for "official of the year", they would win.

18. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Can't wait until the endless sexist remarks after one blown offside call or something. :(

15 to 32 repped this.
  20. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That will happen, but it won't come from me. If she has close to 20/20 vision and can actually get into the correct positions she will be an improvement over many of the ARs I've seen so far this season.

21. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I imagine to reach this point career-wise, she's pretty much heard it all already.

22. RSLEast

RSLEast Member

Jan 26, 2008
    East?
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Way to assume that she's going to mess up just cause she's a woman ref.
    Pig.

23. TheBiff

TheBiff Member+

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    haha, yeah.
    I figure everyone messes up though and this has already happened in other leagues around the world.

Yeah, you'd probably need thick skin just to survive.

I'm hoping the "don't cross the line" will stop people from doing that, but I know some people are just assholes regardless.

24. elkaholic

elkaholic Member+

May 28, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bad call is a bad call. I do not discriminate based on race, religion, or sex. I am an equal opportunists when it comes to booing the ref.

25. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem… but how you boo matters.

TheBiff and RSLintheWoods repped this.