Juandering who we are going to sell next, or does it Mata? - The Chelsea Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Feb 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I was talking to a mate about it yesterday after the match. I don't know how long he'll be out, but a keeper needs full range of motion and the rehab alone could be extensive and long.

I agree with you Andy. I'd rather bring in TC and see how it goes. Resign Schwarzer too I guess.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The thing is that Cech's not getting any younger so it might be the case that he can't get back into the side if this TC character...

[​IMG]

... (not that one), proves to be the real deal.

But, if that's the case, so be it. It's unfortunate but that's football I'm afraid.

My guess is that TC, (NTO), will make some mistakes in a new league so PC will get his chance again. But the keeper is a pretty important position and we can't let emotion get in the way.

3. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't see what we do with the money for Luiz except use it to replace Luiz? he is our 3rd best centerback and starts a lot of games in midfield, hard to replace with one buy.

If we have to live with Dave as our LB because Shaw is going for a ridiculous sum, so be it.

4. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'd honestly prefer we keep Luiz, but for crazy money I would listen. I think Luiz's future is in midfield and he'll play a part there for us. But £35m would help with a lad like Kroos.

5. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    rumors that Benzema may be sold for a suarez bid. if that were the case i'd absolutely be interested in Benzema.

don't really want to sell Luiz unless it's just absolutely ridiculous money. he can still be a top class CB and right now with JT being older and injured we don't have a ready made step in outside of Luiz. so we'd just have to buy one again. we have quite a few promising young guys, but they're not ready next season, and will likely just come in to fill when JT retires/is injured/is rested next season.

Cletis repped this.
  6. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    agreed

unless we are going to get silly money then it makes little sense to sell Luiz

as for Benzema- would like to see it happen but with the deal for Costa it does make me wonder how much we are gong to invest in that role

7. Cletis

Cletis Member+

Jul 12, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hugely underrated imo, if such a thing is possible for a Real Madrid regular. The perfect CF for a counter-attacking side.

8. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    yea, i'm not sure why he doesn't get more credit. it also takes a special personality and player to do what he does for Real. he really lets some of the other players be the star, and just quietly goes about being an extremely solid player that can both score and assist.

9. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  11. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    I think 12 mil is a reasonable enough fee considering what we may be able to recoup from a sale of Berty plus moving the wages of Ash on. He is young and has played a high enough level. I would prefer Shaw but the money for him seems silly atm and Dave is a good enough option if we need. Personally I would not mind PVA and a lad like Moreno battling it out and Dave being a very good insurance policy.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If we
    If we get rid of a couple, (or three;)), yeah, it makes sense.

I suppose I'm just a bit afraid we're going to spend money in areas we didn't particularly need and NOT spend it in others :(

13. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    LB, CM and most importantly Forward for me

12 mil is a decent drop and then one can assume 30-40 mil for Costa which I still think leaves us somewhere around 10-20 mil to pick up a CM if needed

we have quite a few options where we clear out a few players and get some wages off the books

14. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Agreed with this… and what is 35 mil to this club? If Willian is worth 32 mil in the boards eyes, surely Luiz's importance to this team is worth more than the 35 apparently being offered up by Barca.

15. Nuckinya

Nuckinya Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Are there anymore rumours floating around about Lukaku or have they died down? I will be really annoyed if we let him go. Makes no sense for me as it will mean that we'll just have to spend extra money on another striker.

1. Striker
    2. CM partner for Matic
    3. DM backup for Matic
    4. LB

In that order. No stupid selling of players. No loaning out players in positions that we clearly need. Just keep it nice and tidy. 4 new signings. Nothing more, nothing less.

16. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    He is 27 (though he acts distinctly younger) so I am not sure how much more he is going to grow/learn. Pretty sure he has hit his personal plateau which is why if someone comes knocking with 35m + they can have him.

PS
    Absolutely pass on Benezema.

17. Miguel Alvarez

May 12, 2006
    1 Seems quite obvious after (almost) a season of a lack of threat up top.

2 Wondering if Oscar could grow into that role. We've got good enough players who could play in the middle of the attacking 3 and several wide players out on loan who are capable to be our 3rd option op the wing.

MvG surely can't be considered a starter going into the 2014/2015 season, but we have capable personal to partner Matic if Oscar doesn't work out.

3 Isn't this why we have Mikel in our squad who's been a first team player for years and hasn't been making any noise of his recent change of role being a squad player now.

4 Cole's stamina/speed must have declined considerably after his latest injury cause he can't be left out because of his defensive liability considering our back four sits pretty deep this season.

Still a headscratcher for me why he's been left out since January with appearing just one game recently against Atletico. Surely Jose could have rotated a bit more given Ivan a rest and moving Dave to RB.

Probably should consider these players below before spending a boatload of cash on backups.

Courtois

Wallace Zouma Omeruo Bertrand, PvA,

Chalobah McEachran/Romeu

Atsu/TraorePiazon/Hazard Marin/Moses

Lukaku/Bamford

Yahtzee, Wrath and Blueallthru repped this.
  18. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I would not sell Luiz for 35m. He has been out best player in our last few CL matches and in big matches this season he has shined. He hasn't been as rash as the past and under Jose he has become a strong cm when needed. He can play all across the back four if needed and as a cm. The sad thing is that when he plays cm he is our most creative cm player that can send long passes. He is a key asset and someone that you can't replace.

Dtrip77 and Wrath repped this.
  19. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    I suspect MvG will help with 2 and 3 but I do agree that addressing points 1, 2 and 4 has to be up there.

Also agree that we have some pretty good options on loan as well.

20. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    just do not see Mikel sticking around as a squad player tbh. At 27 he is entering the prime of his career and probably wants to play regularly instead of a role player.

as for the other backups- Wallace most likely will not have his work permit sorted and will be loaned out again, Omerou will most likely be loaned again, Berty will probably be sold leaving PVA and Zouma as good options.

Nate needs along solid loan again to get further experience and Josh still needs to get games under his belt. I think Romeu will be sold per his request.

Atsu and Traore still have work permit issues so I do not expect either back with the club next season. Marin will probably follow the Romeu path. I expect an upgraded loan for Hazard and Moses may just have a role to play even if it is a long shot.

Definitely agree with Lukaku and Bamford had mentioned that he wanted to do well enough on loan to make the bench for us next season. Imo he has done well enough for that role next season and if he is not getting games then he can go back out in January.

21. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Pretty much agree with this.

22. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    the problem is, if you sell Luiz, you essentially need to replace two starting quality CBs. (JT soon enough). while also giving up Luiz's incredible versatility. even if you make the assumption Zouma is ready, (which in my opinion is a longshot, i think he'll be good backup and need some time to bed in, but we're not at the point we can truly rely on him) then you still have to buy ANOTHER starting CB. i just don't think we're ready to see both Luiz and Terry gone and be able to rely on Zouma and Kalas or Omerue. not yet. which is why at the very least, we hold onto him for a while longer. so that's why i'm talking insane money to let him go, because we'd immidiately have to spend in a market that seems to be going uncharacteristically crazy for young, accomplished CBs. also, we may just disagree on the quality he brings to the team, but he's been a pretty important part of some pretty important games over the last couple of seasons. he's had a few gaffs, but the number has substantially decreased, and they've rarely been in big games.

can i ask why on Benzema? really genuinely curious. obviously we have no idea at this point if he really would be available. but if he was, i think we'd HAVE to look at him, given what seems to actually be available on the market.

fernb8 and Blueallthru repped this.
  23. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Benzema is a good striker whose first touch, ball control and dribbling are remarkably good for a striker, but also a player who has an inconsistent work rate. Followed him the moment he started to play at Madrid, he is not good in pressing - and his off-ball movement may cause some head aches. For some odd reason he always seemed more of a supporting striker/attacking midfielder-ish type of player than a genuine CF to me.

Blueallthru and Ninjatend0 repped this.
  24. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    That is the best descriptor of Benzema there is. He is a striker in the Mario Gomez mold and scores goals in streaks, has a great game and then disappears for 5 or 6, etc. I think his finishing is iffy and I want someone much more consistent and I agree with everything else Arsenal said. Than again there isnt really anyone available that I really really want. I think our best bet would be Manzukic from Bayern but even he isnt a stellar choice. Our striker purchase this summer will more than likely be a choice of lesser evils and hope for something next summer.

25. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    some of the less than reliable sites may be reading our boards but allegedly us and Liverpool are sniffing around Rakitic now

I believe he has a year and a half left on his current deal and may be available for a reasonable enough fee