The New Political Cartoon Thread (Now with Memes)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mel Brennan, Oct 5, 2006.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bigredfutbol and Demosthenes repped this.
  2. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Would someone with photoshop skills please turn this into the Wish You Were Here album cover?

[​IMG]

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
  6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't see that one lasting very long. It will be hard to keep that one relevant for more than a few years.

Well, since I'm here: from my local paper...

[​IMG]

Auriaprottu, Boogie_Down and fatbastard repped this.
  7. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Point taken in general, but only the Hulk and Thor are posed any different from Black Widow in the first in the first image. This meme needed a better example.

Young girls are taught from birth that sex is a Bad Thing, which is why we're not sexualizing each other in equal measures. Rear them like we rear our sons and the difference vanishes.

10. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. They're all posed differently from her. No man is ever placed in the pose Black Widow's in there. I've never seen it.

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #1686 Auriaprottu, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    Huh? Cap (and especially the guy with the bow) is posed as she is. Forward knee is slightly bent, forward arm is straight, rear arm is bent. In fact, she looks like she's drawing a bow, except she has none. The only difference is that she's on the right and the guy with the bow is on the left, meaning her rear end is showing. If that's the difference the meme refers to, then yes, she should have been put on the left to alleviate any concerns.

Please note that I never said it wasn't happening, and it probably happens a lot. But I'm just not seeing Vampirella/Druuna/Debbie Sass/various Saudelli footmodels in that image.

12. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not about being on the right or the left. If she'd been on the left her butt would still be facing the camera. No male character is ever posed with his butt facing the camera, unless he's actually facing away.

The idea here is that it doesn't have to be as bad as Vampirella. It's an omni-present practice so common we don't even notice it. There's no reason for her ass to be facing us in that picture. No dude would ever be posed that way.

13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sorry. I meant move her in the frozen position to the left, not just flip her part of the image. The idea is that she'd be facing us just as the guy with the bow currently is.

On Vampirella and the others... I don't think of them as "bad". I simply accept that they're intended to be provocative, and meant for an adult "reader" (lol). Comic books are not, and I agree that they're not an acceptable format for titillation, even if both genders' wants are covered.

14. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I simply meant "bad" in the sense of "extreme." Comic books can be for adult readers; I have no problem with that. But (1) there's a difference between titillation and images which are objectifying/demeaning and (2) women heroes in mainstream superhero comics, who are supposedly powerful and strong, are too often depicted in poses that emphasize sexiness over strength (and that's sexiness defined in a narrow, male-gaze oriented sense).

bigredfutbol repped this.
  15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    #1690 Belgian guy, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    There's a wonderful bit of meta-commentary about this in a Wonder Woman comic from a couple of years ago, where Diana visits the set of a Wonder Woman movie. Here is a review of that issue:
    http://nevermore999.livejournal.com/33296.html

[​IMG]

16. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bigredfutbol and Belgian guy repped this.
  18. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's one about (un) equal pay.

[​IMG]

guignol, dapip, bigredfutbol and 6 others repped this.
  19. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Demosthenes repped this.
  22. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    For some reason this is how I like to think of Gynostar

23. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i can only agree if by we you mean the "village" we. most people i know do raise boys and girls, if not absolutely identically, at least in a way that is non-sexist, even anti-sexist. but families aren't raised in a vacuum.

though i'm sure my views on the issue in globo are not much different than yours, i'd say that the two genders are posed in precisely the same way in this picture, only the attributes that sexualize them aren't the same: biceps, pectorals and strained crotches are the XY T&A. it's true however that the drawings of the male characters are less... anatomically correct. whether that is because they are men (sexism) or because the missing attributes are primary (general prudishness howver relative) i can't say.

what i will say however is that the most important difference is not how much men and women are sexualized but the level on which they are considered "sexy". when sex sells with a man in the picture the accent is on attitude, style, facial expression... something other than the purely superficial. whereas women sell with their plastique.

the difference in approach might be due to the audience being targeted, and what might reinforce this theory is that when women are portrayed in that deeper, more psychological manner (chanel perfume ads for example) it's because they're trying to sell to women.

the moral of the story? men are pigs.

24. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The men are not sexualized in that picture. There's nothing equivalent to T&A there. There are plenty of movie posters, pinup posters and magazines devoted to sexualizing men for the benefit of people who are sexually attracted to men, and in those sources you won't find anything like what's in that poster.

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV