POLL of who is/are greatest number 10's in Football History

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by JamesBH11, Apr 21, 2014.

1. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Football's Greatest Number 10, Semi-Final Stage: Vote For Your Favourite Player To Pull On The Famous Shirt

[​IMG]

One can follow up here ( sorry I posted this a bit too late ) :( it's already up to the SF poll

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...umber-10-shirt-semi-final-vote_n_1396081.html

=====================================
    The "controversy" here is that :

1- They (any agenda?) to have put most the heavy weight #10's in one side from Pele, Maradona to Zico and Puskas ...
    On the other side only Platini made a good calibre followed with Zidane
    ... :cry:

2- Lack of big names in Zizinho, Di Stefano, Kopa, Rivelino and Cruijff (easily to replace Messi/Baggio/Eusebio/Bergkamp ...

2. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Yeah what the ******** how dare they to include Messi and Eusebio, but not Kopa and Zizinho!
    Easy to replace them, Hagi, Law and Greaves may stay.

JamesBH11 repped this.
  3. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Here are the original 16 names (controversial?) as Huffingtonpost.uk SUGGESTION (historical order)
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/news/greatest-number-ten-in-football/

1- Denis Law
    2- Jimmi Greaves (?)
    3- Puskas
    4- Pele
    5- Eusebio (?)
    6- Zico
    7-Maradona
    8- Platini
    9- Hagi
    10- Baggio
    11-Bergkamp
    12- M Laudrup
    13- Zidane
    14- Rivaldo
    15- Ronaldinho
    16- Messi (?)

=============================
    Red = questionable number 10 (more like 9.5)
    Blue= Quasi-number 10 (half #10, half 9.5)

4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    you should ask the UK friends ... even Jimmi Greaves was there LOL

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I can easily predict" Pele #1 and ... Messi #2 LOL

6. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    This is to remind us once,
    when the the two titanic in number #10 shirts met in Serie A 84-85

[​IMG]

and their ratings at time (Zico was nearly 31, while Maradona was at his peak 25)

[​IMG]

Surprisingly the veteran 31yrs old came out of the halo in that battle

At the end of game, they are still good friends *respecting each other

[​IMG]

yet still ... good friends until now

[​IMG]

La-Máquina repped this.
  7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Another titanic battle of #10 shirt in the 80's :

Platini or Zico? You decide...
    (FIFA.com) Tuesday 12 May 2009

[​IMG]

Michel Platini and Zico are incontestably among the greatest footballers in history. Having shared their peak and position, and both won a plethora of personal honours, FIFA.com would like to know which of these irresistible No 10s you consider the better player.

[​IMG]

8. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Titanic of 70's:
    PELE vs Cruijff in NASL

[​IMG]

Pele vs Eusebio (with unusual #10)

[​IMG]

9. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Titanic #10 at WC58

Didi vs Kopa
    [​IMG]

10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Titanic of Number 10:
    early 90's: Maradona vs Baggio

upload_2014-4-21_16-20-37.jpeg
    late 90's : Rivaldo vs Laudrup

upload_2014-4-21_16-18-43.jpeg

then early 2000's: Zidane vs Ronaldinho

[​IMG]

11. havoc33

havoc33 Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    They include Bergkamp, but no Gullit? This poll doesn't make sense at all.

Two of the best 10s to ever lace them up:

[​IMG]

12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yes agree ... that's why I mentioned in the first place "controversy" ... or maybe it's a bit typical " English media"? whose football is not often employed/produced a great #10 *play maker I meant

Another controversy is that they LIMIT the voters with their 16 names (lacking too many great #10's over last 100 years per se.)

At least 25 missing names :
    From 50-70: Moreno, Pedernera, Zizinho, Kopa, Varela, Didi, Gerson, Tostao, Rivelino Cubillas
    from 80-99: Gullit, Netzer, Overath, Socrates, Alan Giresse, Gascoigne, Bochini, Rui Costa, Bochini, Vaderama ...
    from 20-now: Totti, Riquelme, Xavi, Kaka, Pirlo ...

13. United_xxx

United_xxx Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Thailand
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No Savicevic ?

14. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yes many could be qualified too ...
    Agree , if we can include Totti, then Savicevic is also deserved

15. La-Máquina

La-Máquina BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Before we talk about Dejan Savićević, we need to talk about the great Safet Sušić :inlove:

16. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    well I agree and said there are many many more ... but who are on TOP40 to be voted?

17. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    looking at the percentages right now it looks like its gonna be Zidane vs Pele

18. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    which is a real shame because it should be between Messi and Maradona (the best ever)

19. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The final should be Pele vs Maradona; not Pele vs Zidane.

Messi -- 43.94%

Zidane -- 56.06%

Messi is a superior player and dribbler, but perhaps Zidane is a better number 10. Actually, one could argue that some other players such as Gheorghe Hagi or Zico were better "number 10s" than Messi. What I don't quite understand is why Pele is facing Maradona in a semi-final? Pele and Zidane as the best number 10s of all-time would/will just look stupid, any person with an ounce of brain knows that Zidane is not a better number 10 than Maradona.

And again, if Michael Laudrup qualifies as a "number ten"(he was not a "number ten" in all the games I have watched of him) then, by all means, Lio Messi should comfortably destroy Zidane.

This is ridiculous. I have seen many people claim that Zidane is the 3rd best player of all-times behind Pele and Maradona. Now they are taking it one step further -- Zidane a better number ten than Maradona.

Seriously, the people who organized that poll should be embarrassed.... They put Zidane vs Messi fully aware of the fact that Zidane's fictional fairy tale (further enhanced by youtube videos) will always win an internet poll vs the likes of Messi; then they made sure that one out of Pele or Maradona should be eliminated in the semi-final. I hope they are happy when the final result includes Zidane and Pele -- the glaring stupidity of such a result will serve to, yet again, substantiate just how ridiculously overrated Zidane is.

20. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Gosh ... not again...

I do think messi is a better talent then Zidane , but he is not a 'true #10' up to now

21. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    WHY?
    I noted earlier, they put all heavy weight names Pele, Maradona, Puskas , Zico on one side ...
    Zidane only got Platini and a "quasi-#10" of Messi in his side as heavy weights

leadleader repped this.
  22. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes, and Maradona (the best ever footballer) was a great number 10. He could do it all

Pipiolo repped this.
  23. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I always thought puskas was more of a "9" than a "10"

Pipiolo repped this.
  24. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Very well said. I agree. And again, I reiterate: the people who organized the poll, purposefully designed the whole thing so that Zidane could make the final -- they wanted a European name in the final, which they knew could only be Zidane, so they made sure that one out of Pele or Maradona would be eliminated before the final.

It is very odd isn't it? Zidane had to fight it out with -- Ronaldinho (wing player with great tricks and flicks; not a real number ten in my opinion), Michael Laudrup (I have never seen him play as a number ten), Rivaldo (not a number ten), and Lio Messi (not a number ten). They basically created a whole sub-genre of non-number-10s to compete with Zidane so that Zizou could reach the final -- it is obvious, and it is embarrassing.

No logical person would have Pele and Maradon fighting it out in a semi-final, and no logical person would ever think that Zidane was a "greater" nor a "better" number ten than either Pele or Maradona who are obviously a league above Zidane.

I know that a lot of people, for one reason or the other, want to believe that Zidane was a much better football player than he actually was.... but I have to say, Zidane being glorified to a greater number 10 than Maradona must take the cake for stupidity.

Their next poll should be organized as follows,

Football's Greatest Strikers

Group A / Group B

Cristiano Ronaldo / Pele

Shevchenko / Ronaldo

Zlatan Ibrahimovic / Romario

Hugo Sanchez / Gerd Muller

Van Nistelrooy / Gabriel Batistuta

Hernan Crespo / Eusebio

Bebeto / Thierry Henry

Samuel Eto'o / Marco Van Basten

This way we pretty much ensure that players like R9 and Romario and Van Basten are eliminated, so that CR7 ends up being mentioned next to Pele's name. What a fair and logical poll that would make -- though still, that would not be quite as bad as rating Zidane as a "greater" number ten than Maradona.....

JamesBH11 and el-torero repped this.
  25. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #25 JamesBH11, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    that;s what MOST people are MISINFO

Puskas was always an inside left (or #10) like Moreno, Pele , Zizinho ...ever was from Honved to Hungary NT
    He was also a true leader and play maker of those teams.

1- Only in his older days, he came to Real and play more like a traditional forward (not striker though) since the "play maker" ROLE was occupied by Di Stefano in center (as a true FALSE NINE ) - even Kopa a great playmaker of France coming to play as outside FW for that team. However in that team, everyone was a FW and everyone also was MF ... (like Brazil 70)

2- At WC54, he was injured and "most people " only watched the final game (hopefully so?) and there they saw a Hidegkuti shone bright in center MF (and they thought Puskas was a forward = NO NO