Official Pablo (as coach) thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by ~F8~, Apr 7, 2014.

1. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yes, forget the money part to me the DP tag just means that this is a quality player that should be playing all the time. Obviously, there have been DP failures so it doesn't guarantee quality or at least translation to MLS, but, to me it's not about buying an outrageously expensive player it's about finding a player that brings a higher level of play. The FO made a huge deal over him and now he is just riding the pine/aluminum and the worst part lately is when he does get in it's hardly enough time make any impact. I can't stand it when coaches make subs with hardly no time on the clock unless it is for injury or someone is just exhausted. A lot of the times it's to get some young player a chance to see the pitch for a couple minutes which seems more like a slap in the face to me.

22SteveD and Dom. FC repped this.
  2. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I was wondering how long the Pablo thread would take to emerge, and it took longer than I thought. If the Rapids had selected someone outside of the organization would this thread have appeared at the time of the hiring?

Despite the success on the pitch, it's hard for me to evaluate him at this time. He does seem to have brought a very positive attitude to the players which shows up on the pitch in that they don't seem to play afraid.

His philosophy about injured players appears to be that it's better to be cautious in the short run rather than risk long term issues.

Obviously he's not shy about playing the younger/inexperienced players on the roster. In the long run that will help their confidence.

3. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Rep. The other two times I don't mind a late sub are to burn some time with a thin lead and tired players. Or to give a good/great player an opportunity to get an ovation at home for his brace of goals, multiple assists, hat trick etc. I wish he was subbing Torres off late at home for that second reason -- its early in the season there's still time.

4. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dillon Serna has looked better so far in his limited time on the pitch and Buddle looks more fit.

With all due respect, that was last year. If (this year) he's not showing the level of commitment which helped him earn that recognition, he shouldn't start. His DP status should grant him some rope to prove himself, but that's it IMHO. I think the bigger question (if there is truth to the chatter about his lack of energy is true) is why?

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant that a guy that a team spent that much money on should be performing well enough to force the coach to start him.

wormhole repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6 games in:
    Deshorn Brown: 448 minutes, 18 shots, 6 shots on goal, 1 goal
    Edson Buddle: 341 minutes, 9 shots, 3 shots on goal, 1 goal
    Gabriel Torres: 241 minutes, 4 shots, 0 shots on goal, 0 goals
    Combined: 1030 minutes, 31 shots, 9 shots on goal, 2 goals

The 'big 3' are averaging 1.5 shots on goal per game. That's a bit of a problem I'd say.

Soaker888 repped this.
  7. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chavez, Eloundou, Mullan (if he has any drive to be useful again), and to some extent Serna, must love the highlighted part.

22SteveD repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They just need to show well enough to force Pablo to put them on the field. Right now the central mids appear to be better players than our crop of wingers.

9. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Good at defending not so much at attacking which is ok because that is what PM wants at the moment. I understand it and it's a good thing to not get scored on. I'm just getting annoyed by our lack of offense and wish we could use less central defensive type midfielders (unless they shoot like Mari.) 2 more attacking types, coupled with 1 strong D-mid and a box to box guy that does both attack and defends well.

Just as an example I would have replaced Watts or Labrocca with Serna and only had one Defensive type mid behind Powers who I think is good on the attack and on defense.

10. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt we see anything like that again out of Mari. Been talking to a guy who attends a fair number of practices, and it seems like that there's been nothing to suggest those goals were in the pipeline.

11. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Well his second shot/goal of that game looked like a nicely placed side-foot shot that had "intention" written all over it. Not so much the first one.

12. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yes, his first shot was a golazo and I doubt we see a lot like it in all of MLS over the course of one season, but, he did seem to open up as if he was readying a strike. He even looked at the corner he shot at although he does look surprised when it goes in Lol! You get a lot more top spin added when the ball is bouncing like that using the outside of your foot so the curve is ridiculous.
    And I agree with Soaker the second goal was just perfect and intended placement. I should hope we see more shots from him. He is probably full of confidence to try for more. I'm not expecting our D-mid to score all our goals although he is looking better than our ST's at the moment.

13. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    I think it's important to point out that it's coaching by committee. Cooke and Metgod both play a very significant role in coaching this team - much more then any assistant coaches in Rapids history.

Also, the Rapids success so far has hinged on some very very fortunate events. Scoring in my mind seems to be a large issue.

However, how can you complain with what's been accomplished so far!!! High marks so far - many more games to show us what's really going on with this team. One things seems to be showing - the team has good character and fortitude and coaching plays a major role in that. 3 points on the road has a coach's signature all over it.

Jimmydinho and Rod1916 repped this.
  14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    In my book, we'll start to see what Pablo is made of this week and over the next month or so. Will the Rapids recover from the Seattle debacle emotionally and tactically? What kinds of changes will be made to produce more chances? It will be interesting to see what PM will do to get things back on track.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. ~F8~

~F8~ Member

Sep 5, 2008
    grindin
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Very true, I think this game is pivotal. Here's what Landon Donovan had to say of his coaching so far:
    http://www.lagalaxy.com/news/2014/0...blo-mastroeni-and-revitalized-colorado-rapids

16. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I hope that Pablo is playing almost everyone because very soon he will have figured out what the actual best 11 is and stick with it best he can. No chemistry breeds bad play.

22SteveD, Soaker888 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  17. aurelius

aurelius Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I am still undecided but intrigued by the juggling of the lineups: a lack of time to develop chemistry (especially up top) but plenty of opportunity for the entire squad to participate and make their cases; seemingly strange combinations (i.e. the back line against LA) but interesting flexibility that provides rest and cover for the injured; no individual standouts (with the exception of Sanchez and Irwin) but the building of a real squad, a team ready to work for each other.

Is this a formula for mediocrity or a clear headed strategy based on the real talents and limitations of each player that he has been given that will pay big dividends as the season progresses because of the opportunities for significant playing time and rest that everyone has been given? I can't decide, but I am very interested to watch it all play out.

gschroeder, JasonMa and Soaker888 repped this.
  18. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yeah, this is kinda wear I am. It's easy to dismiss the current starting XI mix up as all bad craziness, but with PM having played for so long and seeing so much in MLS and with the asst. coaches working with him, I can't help but think there is some method to this madness including long-term thinking. I'm hoping the "plan" is being adhered to and this is not just a seat-of-the-pants, game-by-game, hokey decision-making process. Chemistry is important and I hope we are working towards that as a plan.

Edit: I know Pablo has mentioned being sure to get players some rest at some points, and also giving the young guys a chance, but IMO sacrificing good chemistry-building for these two "secondary" considerations is not a good idea.

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though considering many of the highlights of this season so far have been those young players (Irwin, Serna, Hairston, Eloundou last night, etc.) I think they're making the case that they should be starting/playing and getting that experience over older players (Sturgis and LaBrocca, I'm looking at you guys).

COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    For me I'd rather see someone else starting on the Wing over Eloundou and let him come in when the other team tires out. Also, I have not been that impressed with LaBrocca or Sturgis, but, I would play either of them over Watts.

jimijam28 repped this.
  21. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I think you guys are all reading too much into it. The club is in the middle of a Saturday - Wednesday - Sunday. Playing the same line-up for those three matches would be insane IMO. Every teaam in this league plays a scheduled two weeks like that at some point and it requires juggling.

Jimmydinho and gschroeder repped this.
  22. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Maybe, but, has anyone predicted a correct line up yet? I don't do predictions so I haven't really noticed. My mind might be over exaggerating, but, I feel like almost every game I have had a "?" in my head when it comes to at least 1 or 2 of the players chosen on game day.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Pablo made a couple of questionable decisionslast night:
    1. Not having Brown and Jose Mari at least on the bench. Really, our big offensive change options were Serna (who I like) and Mwanga? That game screamed for Brown late. Jose Mari would have brought some stability late as well because...
    2. None of our 4 starting midfielders had gone 90 recently, two of them (Eloundou and Hill) had never gone 90 for the Rapids. Not surprising that we started to droop in the midfield late.

In the end, we got a point on the road, so it wasn't a failure but some better planning on our midfield and attack might have opened up the goal we needed.

24. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I'm waiting to see the lineup and result of Sunday before I judge too deeply.