Alert: COPA DEL MONDO 2014: GROUP STAGE (1) ITALY VS ENGLAND, MANAUS, AMAZONAS, BRAZIL

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by world cup lover, Jan 28, 2014.

1. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    How can anyone take one serious when they say Cerci is Iaquinta? Lmfao

2. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    And a grown up wrestling fan

3. Hulk_Hogan_Italia

AC Milan
    Italy
    Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I have not watched wrestling in years. Hogan is of italian descent which is why I chose the name.

Is everyone saying that Cerci is way better than Iaquinta?

4. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    If you had said somebody like Moscardelli but Iaquinta?

5. Hulk_Hogan_Italia

AC Milan
    Italy
    Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Cerci is having a great season and I won't deny that. When he came on vs Mexico in the confed cup he looked out of place. bad passes etc. I know he was not on for long but he left a bad taste for me. I want the same thing as everyone else... For Italy to win. If that means with Cerci, so be it.

6. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Be truthful, this was the last time you watched him play?

As a sub a year ago....The forward line needs options. You don't pick 5 forwards who poach. He is something different and that's the reason to take him never mind his excellent form. You need to have different cards up your sleeve.

7. Hulk_Hogan_Italia

AC Milan
    Italy
    Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I watch Serie A every weekend. I have RAI and every other channel possible(drives my wife crazy) I even watch Torino play on bet365 so yes I have seen him play.

I agree with you and maybe he will prove valuable with the upcoming friendlies. To be fair to Cerci, Prandelli has not really given him a lot of playing time.

8. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Must have grown up under power lines...

9. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Cerci offers something different... and versatility in how he can be used in multiple ways. Very important. He also brings the added bonus of chemistry with Immobile should Prandelli make the most obvious choice ever and take the leading scorer of Serie A. At 26, this is Cerci's tournament to shine. Not picking him would be unthinkable at this point.

His pace is also important. Cassano, Rossi, Gilardino, Balotelli, Osvaldo, and Destro are either slow, average or only slightly above average speed wise. Cerci is like a jet, with only Immobile close to him in that department.

10. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This board is hilarious.

Hogan Italia is entitled to his opinion. Calling him names or saying he's wrong over an opinion? Especially over Cerci...

This board is full of too much group think. One guy thinks Cerci is good and all of a sudden, the entire board agrees.

Its like the Paletta situation.. nobody made any noise about him fora long time. One friendly later, now we all call him the fourth defender. And I'm a fan too but its pretty funny how things work..

Cerci is good and having a great year and I think he's worthy of a spot. But he's not good enough to be immune to criticism.

Some of the comments on here are sad to read..

totti fan and Hulk_Hogan_Italia repped this.
  11. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I still prefer Astori to Paletta, but sometimes one needs to know when to throw in the towel. Same can be said about whining over Montolivo…exercise in futility.

And everyone praising Cerci is not group think IMO, its having a pair of eyes and watching Torino play this year. But yeah, Cerci is not above criticism when warranted (though comparisons to Iaquinta are objectively untrue).

12. Davide13

Davide13 Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oh my god King! He killed em! He killed em! As god as my witness Alessio Cerci has broken Genoa in half!

indestructible repped this.
  13. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Osvaldo was being considered as the second creative forward option as an alternative to Rossi. Because his current form is so bad and with Rossi also taking so long to make it back from injury Prandelli has relunctantly been forced to look at Cassano as an option again. Osvaldo could only ever be rated as a poor mans Cassano and so is in no danger of making the squad atm.

Gilardino apart from his extensive experience, most caps and goals from list of current strikers, offers something slightly different in that he is an effective target/hold-up player, who is also good at combining with running mids or other fwds. Balo provides this capability and more but we need a back-up in case he gets injured or suspended. Remember he performed this role to good effect v Spain in CFC.

Immobile, Destro, Rossi are more pure goal scorers, poachers and if you include Balo & Gila I would pick 3 of these guys at a maximum.

With Immobile in such good form do we really need to risk a spot on Rossi?

14. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan

Rossi apparently won't play on May 3rd. His debut will be at a later date…yet his agent says he's ready for the World Cup lol. If he plays the week after (a big if), then he has about a month to get match fit. Does anyone remember how long Totti was back before the 2006 World Cup??

Immobile and Destro as poachers/prima punta. Cassano and Cerci as support strikers (the latter also as a winger). Balotelli can do both. Lets go with that…we don't need Gilardino as back-up to anyone IMO. He's not essential…

15. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Rossi should stay at home. I can just see him taking a bad tackle and ruining his acl.

16. Hulk_Hogan_Italia

AC Milan
    Italy
    Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Who would you start vs England? Would you want to attack or play counter?
    England is my most hated team and I pray that Italy can get a result.

17. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Based on players who I think will make the team...

Buffon
    De Sciglio Barzagli Chiellini Criscito
    De Rossi Pirlo Marchisio
    Cerci Candreva
    Immobile

Maybe start Balotelli as support on the left thus dropping Cerci and sliding Candreva over.

18. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Manaus is going to be a 95% humidity jungle sauna bath. Among the starting XI better be 8 or 9 players who are capable of going 90+ minutes in those conditions.

19. Hulk_Hogan_Italia

AC Milan
    Italy
    Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I agree

I also think the humidity will take the pace out of the game. A slower build up game will suit Italy just fine :)

20. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Also, as the great Mr.Wu from Deadwood might eloquently state…those limey c**ksuckers will certainly be feeling the heat even more than us.

We should certainly have the advantage in Manaus.

Hulk_Hogan_Italia repped this.
  21. FORZA NAPOLI <3

FORZA NAPOLI <3 BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 27, 2013
    Land down under!
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    why are people continuing to talk about the weather? it's a load of horse shit, it's not even that hot, because the humility is going to make another team lose, it's just an excuse

22. FORZA NAPOLI <3

May 27, 2013
    Land down under!
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    who's going to make the match threads for the world cup?

23. FORZA NAPOLI <3

May 27, 2013
    Land down under!
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Objectively we don't have an advantage with the weather, it's just a placebo effect.

24. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

What do you consider hot? Death Valley? Saudi Arabia? In Manaus, it can go well over 35C with 95% humidity. I don't care who you are, 90 minutes of running around in that is oppressive.

25. FORZA NAPOLI <3

May 27, 2013
    Land down under!
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    over 40 degrees is hot, obviously it's still hot but it's still a shit excuse to lose, it's hot for everyone, players and coaches need to harden the ******** up, as I said it's just a placebo affect, other players will adapt please shit excuse, if you want the world cup enough you will win