The Patrice Evra Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Achtung, Jan 10, 2006.

1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There's a reason we're putting in more crosses and Kagawa getting PT isn't to cut in, that's just what he does because he's not a winger.

Incidentally, when you overload a flank, you only do it to a point. Once the man-advantage is secured and the FB overwhelmed, one player goes inside. Or, one player goes inside to create room for the cross, but it starts with 2 wide.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Shinji got the early hook one time because he spent too much time in field and not enough time setting up Evra to hit crosses.

2. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    [​IMG]

3. Pulp

Pulp Member+

Feb 13, 2013
    TO / CA
    Kagawa has to be smarter than that surely.

4. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think this pretty much confirms Evra is gone this summer too.

Moyes on Evra.

"I speak with Patrice a lot and I know the people he works with. There are things in place and we'll tell you when we want to."

LGRod repped this.
  5. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    the Sunday Times claiming that because he has started 26 games for us this year he has activated a clause that adds an additional year to his contract.

just consider this is only a claim and it is from the times before people run with it

6. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was more under the impression that he wanted to leave on his own, as opposed to the club not wanting to bring him back. I thought there were rumors of Monaco coming back for him. I imagine the automatic "extension" will have to be agreed on by both sides. I don't see Evra wanting to do that.

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Horrible news if true.

cr7torossi repped this.
  8. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    question time:

do you guys think Evra's regression is due to his kind of cocky nature + being a senior squad member + captain at times?

or is it just some massive fall off that is an anomaly? can a player really just forget the basics of defending just like that? that fast?

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Evra was never a great defender but his speed enabled him to make mistakes or be caught out of position and recover. Sadly for us he lost that ability to recover seasons ago. He had a slight blip where he contributed offensively which gave him a bye for many fans. He is now fortunate that his poor play is less noticeable as there are lots of poor performers. I think you are right in the sense that his cockiness has stopped him for adapting his game to compensate for his ageing and slowing while his seniority and stints as captain only exacerbate the situation as he tries more and fails harder.

johno repped this.
  10. tscboys

tscboys Member+

Sep 7, 2004
    Tulsa
    I actually tend to lean towards RvN's theory about his attitude. Evra can still cover the ground and he still is pretty pacey; but he just switches off and watches sometimes as players get into dangerous positions that he should be putting pressure on them, yet he doesn't change his pace or body language even a bit. It could be a mix of being a senior member of the squad, being a pretty consistent deputy captain, and probably the most consistent member (in terms of appearing) of our back four over the last four or five years.

Whatever it comes down to, he needs to be replaced.

11. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Evra is clearly incapable of managing the entire flank and has not been for a good few seasons. In short he is old and badly needs to adapt.

johno, cr7torossi and doubletrouble repped this.
  12. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    amazing athlete though

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Like other players of his ilk he has struggled to adapt once he lost the physical advantage he once had. He simply had nothing to fall back on.

14. tscboys

tscboys Member+

Sep 7, 2004
    Tulsa
    Evra is only 32 though..besides one season (last year I believe) where he was okay, he has been poor for four or five years, meaning his decline started at...27 or 28? That's not normal and it couldn't be related to athletic reasons at that age. Physical decline starts around 30/31. Evra is still capable of getting up and down the field, it's mental that keeps him from doing so.

15. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't think average numbers relate to Evra. He has played LB for 7 years with spotty occasional backup at best, and usually only if he was injured. We have used him up and down, I'm not really surprised he's showing holes.

And yet he is one of maybe 3 players here that actually seem to respect the badge.

16. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    teso is spot on. Evra has been shocking defensively for years.

JC7rox repped this.
  17. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    When he isn't ball watching he's out of position. I don't want him to be perfect but for a player of his experience he is consistent in both faults mentioned

18. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    48 games a year for us in the last 7 years. I'm amazed he can run at all.

Seems pretty clear to me he had a physical decline around 3-4 years ago. He still made the forward runs as that is what Fergie wanted, but would be slack or distracted on way back.

I love him as a player. His days as a two way fb for us are done though, and I think if he wants to move back to France to retire, thats fine with me.

19. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  20. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why, we could a cheaper backup on lower wages.

21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    if true not surprised. they gave Rooney a ridiculous one so...

22. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    man, you're reaching...

23. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Horrendous news if true.

24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Almost as if he started off as a striker, was shunted to the wing and then played as a wingback. Oh wait. That's exactly what happened. :D

Evra's positional sense was never great. It was best when he played as part of a great backline because he'd get shouts from Rio, Vida and VDS and they'd cover for him.

As for his decline starting early, there's an easy explanation. He wasn't just asked to play LB. During his peak here he played left flank. We played without a proper LW for much of the time. Many other teams did/do that, but they don't expect their FB to be in position. We tried to play Evra, without rest in 2 positions at once, 50 games a season.

25. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    True, but wasn't his drop in performance almost instantaneous from the moment of the revolt against Domenech? He seemed to come back from that a demotivated, almost disillusioned player, whose workrate and concentration seemed to dip markedly. He'd still talk the talk but his performances routinely saw him stranded upfield and jogging back, or being too impetuous and rushing the challenge, being beaten by basic wingplay and not even slowing the counter. That's certainly how I remember it, however true it happens to be.