Orlando Stadium Discussion

Discussion in 'Orlando City SC' started by Macsen, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Kickballer

Kickballer Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Orlando,Fl
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    No, its the Rowdies. As you can see Mr. Deslatte could care less. His tweets are from March 24, say they were voted down then, but you know things change in Tallahassee all the time to sweeten the pot.
    24 Mar 2014
    1. [​IMG]Aaron Deslatte ‏@adeslatte Mar 24
      North American soccer league, whatever that is, gets voted down. Stadium bills are like ticket oaks. #sayfie

2. 2:04 PM - 24 Mar 2014
      [​IMG]Aaron Deslatte ‏@adeslatte Mar 24
      Some North American soccer league is trying to catch a ride on the sports stadium bill. Does @JoseCanseco play in it? #sayfie

2. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh. I didn't realize they delayed it. Last I'd heard, they were aiming for a mid-season opening, but that was last year I think.

3. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Major League Soccer expansion franchise Orlando City SC will play the entirety of their debut season in 2015 at the Citrus Bowl, thanks to a snag involving land rights for the club’s proposed soccer-specific stadium in downtown Orlando.

http://orlandocitysoccer.com/news/?article_id=1815

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Major League Soccer expansion franchise Orlando City SC will play the entirety of their debut season in 2015 at the Citrus Bowl, thanks to a snag involving land rights for the club’s proposed soccer-specific stadium in downtown Orlando.
    http://orlandocitysoccer.com/news/?article_id=1815

6. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The delay could prove useful. The plans could be scaled up to a full 20k seats and phased construction may no longer be necessary.

7. joelk

joelk Member

Mar 1, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the delay is to some extent motivated by the time needed to get the state $.

8. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The e-mail to season ticket holders describes the pain of moving 2/3rds of the way through next season.

9. Kickballer

Kickballer Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Orlando,Fl
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
  10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several points.

It's ludicrous to think a $250 million remodel is anything like a brand new $1.2 billion stadium.

Also, OCSC has no controls on the CB revenues, Falcons/MLS have almost 100% control on new Falcons stadium.

11. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    If Edwards wants to build the same $1.2 billion stadium here instead, fine. Otherwise he needs to button his yap and get back to his day job promoting the interests of hotels and theme parks over local residents, as he's done so much of the past couple of decades.

12. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be very satisfying voting for this prick's opponent.

13. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    Fri. 4/25/14 @ 1:44pm
    "House passes stadium-subsidy bill which would aid Orlando, Miami MLS dreams"
    Link: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ando-miami-mls-dreams-20140425,0,4613904.post

Also:
    "Soccer, basketball, lies, public money all mix in Orlando"
    Link: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...-rico-scott-maxwell-20140424,0,2108521.column

Key bits:

"Orlando still got a relatively good deal on soccer. The taxpayers' half of the $84 million stadium is a pretty cheap price for a new major-league sport — especially compared to the $400 million (plus interest) taxpayers had to cough up when the Magic demanded a new arena. The deal is done. And it's actually OK."

"The bottom line: Sports are great. I like the Magic. I dig the Lions. Ted Edwards does, too. I just want local leaders to get the best deal for taxpayers..."

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they need to be reminded two things:

1) We're getting 1/10th the money the Magic did.

2) We're actually getting the lion's share (no pun intended) from the tourists.

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. tbitm

tbitm Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    "We want $35 million" sounds just like Jesus :thumbsup:

In seriousness, I get why they might feel they drew a short straw being forced out, but they aren't a private business and they don't have to pay taxes because they are a religious institution. So how much of a leg do they have to stand on to ask the government for so much money?

On top of this they didn't respond to the city when they were in the middle of a deal with mls for the land and now that the deal is already in place they are using it against the city. It's not like they would've asked for that much in the middle on negotiations with the city.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  19. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greedy bastards, house of Jesus my ass.

20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paying a 5000% markup on a property is pretty ridiculous. If the site itself isn’t consecrated, holy or otherwise significant land, then I can’t see the reason for asking for a ridiculous sum. If it is, then you have to ask why they put a dollar figure on it at all? And if the land itself has no particular value (more than $700K), that all were talking about is an inducement to move, then it has to be FMV, which is the value of the land plus some reasonable fee to compensate the cost of moving.

21. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    The part that makes me a bit nervous is that greed is probably the smaller part of the equation. I get the impression that the lion's share (Thank you.) of this whole issue is that the nice folks at the small church are just a bit, for lack of a suitably respectable description, less than optimally savvy regarding a matter such as this. It's been reported that they based their $35 million figure on the transaction the city executed with First United Methodist eight years ago. That's about as apples-to-oranges as it gets: that FUMCO plot was a physically larger piece of property, with a more valuable location within the downtown core just a 5-iron from City Hall itself, needed for the much larger Downtown Performing Arts Center across the street from FUMCO, and to top it all off, the date of that transaction was at the very height of the real estate bubble. It's as good as ridiculous for the church in Parramore to think they'd ever get anything withing a few light-years of 5,000% of the appraised value for their plot. They can ask for it till the cows come home of course, but it ain't gonna happen and it never was. That's what makes it seem like the driving force behind this is a just a bit of innocent obtuseness from the good folks there at Faith Deliverance Temple. This morning's Sentinel report says the church wants the city "...to 'leave us alone' if talks break down...". The church seems to think they can ignore the whole issue and hope it just goes away, which is regrettably naive.

SoccerPrime, joelk and msilverstein47 repped this.
  22. tbitm

tbitm Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    I say go Cliven Bundy on their ass, they clearly aren't that religious asking for $35 mil, so ask for the taxes they haven't had to pay for years.

They'll be out quicker than Cliven can tell us something new about "the negro"

23. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they have to go all the way through the court proceeding, it could be two or three years down the road before that stadium gets built. The new-and-improved Citrus Bowl seems like it will be a pretty nice venue, though.

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah if you like turf, 3x times too much capacity and losing money every single time you play.