Who Is The Greatest Dribbler Ever

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dearman, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

The Greatest Dribbler Ever

1. Garrincha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maradona

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. George Best

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Ronaldo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Messi

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Impossible to know

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Copa Del Rey is a lesser competition mate. It doesn't make any difference. What matters in Spain is La Liga!

And by the way since you so much love records, Romario pre-season with Barca was 14 goals in 8 matches. Not even Ronaldo had matched that.

Romario played 5 seasons for PSV and had 97 goals in 107 games. Remember we are talking about 5 seasons here. And in Brazil his gpg's were even higher then ever. But of course i forgot Brazil is inferior isn't it? There cannot be a record more consistent then that. If that ain't good enough for you than you are demanding the impossible.

We have been here before. And as I remember it. Every time I and Bada and Bruford posted Romario's records and gpg's you either went silent for a while and not respond or you criticised our report which by the way were official reports unlike your ESPN and Placar stats do you remember? I also remember how you inaccurately claimed that Romario had only better friendlies then Ronaldo with NT. I refuted this claim of yours with rsssf.com stats showing that it was exactly the contrary and R9 had the better friendlies gpg's. So we went on and on about gpg's for a few months with me always refuting your stats which always seemed to have a few numbers skewed in favour of R9, do you remember or do I need to post them here for refreshment? Do you remember how you gave R9 Dutch footballer of the year incorrectly? And you claim here that Dutch football is low? How hypocritical of you James. Why do you in older threads give R9 Dutch awards falsely and here in this thread you say Romario's Holland records don;t count because Eredivisie is sub par? Yeah right. This is why I always call you names and will continue to do so, because you deserve it. And i won't back off until you stop claiming facts here and there without authority of an official piece of evidence. And do you remember how Puck presented the only documentary on Dutch national TV channel (most respected Dutch channel) interviewing Ronaldo's managers and how they stated exactly what we've been telling you? But no, you had to dismiss them too. James vs Scolari and James vs R9 own bosses. Who do you think you are mate, God?

2. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And why did you say to Bada Bing they were good archives? check here JamesBH11,Oct 7, 2013

And since when do we have to listen to you on what is good source of stats anyway, since back then most of all your stats were dodgy at best. And when we made corrections and brought them to your attention you couldn;t care less and called us ignorant. Do you remember? So Bada Bing tables biased or not biased toward Messi are good enough for this debate. Love it or leave. You should have been more open and honest back then with your doghy tables full of typos. Sorry but the ship his sailed!

3. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    read WELL ... I said good archive in the LIGA games only context ... (yes 34goals/37games log)
    Ronaldo set the Spain all games record of 47goals/49games total 1997 (which was broken by Messi 2012)

another Spain liga record, that Ronaldo set was 19 teams scored against, which was TIED (by CR7 2012 and Messi 2013)

and Ronaldo set the most scoring streak (12games) in liga 97, which was well broken by Messi 2012 (with 23 :barefoot:)

4. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    @JamesBH11

Anyway either way you look at it. Your claims that R9 had the highest peak while at Barca is refuted with the gpg's and assists in both Ro-Ro peak time in their respective first seasons. Both had equal gpg's and Romario had 4 more assists. Even though in my personal standards i wouldn't nitpick on such a small stats difference and call them both equal in terms of performances in their first seasons. Having said that, Romario won La Liga which is more prestigious then those Cupwinners and Copa Del Rey. Bare in mind this detail.

All in all with this reasoning above, it refutes the claims that R9 Barca first season was the highest peak for a player in history. It's a myth which only R9 fans deny. Romario in his first season with Barca reached higher heights then Ronaldo for he won La Liga and reached UCL final with Barca. And in that same year he became mvp of WC94 and was awarded FIFA WPOTY. All happened in the same year. So if their is someone who had the highest peak in a single year that would be Romario and not Ronaldo as many of R9 fans would like us to believe. You asked for evidence well there is the piece of evidence that should put this long lasting saga to rest.

I reiterate, I am a R9 fan and I have stated many times that Bobby Robson who trained both stated both players to be in the same class. There's is no problem if we choose for either Romario or Ronaldo. But to claim that Ronaldo was better is not according to the records e.g gpg's, WC won, league titles, top scorer titles etc. Where one excelled the other failed and vice verse. But saying that R9 was better is just plain wrong. Now you can continue arguing but you cannot show me one piece of evidence that proofs your views to be official. And i haven't shown you either any evidence that proofs my views to be official. But that ain't the point here. The point is that they re both in the same class! And if ou like dribbling you go for R9, but if you like collective game then you go for Romario. That is the only thing we can agree upon. It;s a matured approach and a fair conclusion for two players who have achieved very similar heghts. Both were WC and Copa champs, both were the best of their time. And like Celito put it, Stop pushing for more!

Pipiolo repped this.
  5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I said WRONG and you kept singing the same OLD SONG
    Ronaldo Liga 97= 47goals/49games and 20+assists >>> Romario Liga 94 =34gaols/46games +16ass OK?

6. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I do not deny that R9 set his records. I recognise R9 records. Don't you think I did not enjoy R9 setting those records?

Mate you got me confused from the outset. I love R9 and I still watch his games and am left in awe to see some of his performances. R9 was the best in his time. And I will not contest that. His Barca records speaks for themselves. I have never questioned R9 records while at Barca. But he wasn't the only one. Before him their was Romario who set also a few records at Barca. 1. most hat tricks in a single season (which is broken by Messi two years ago) 2. best gpg's in pre-season 14 goals in 8 games (which still holds). 3. Most hat tricks in Clasico matches (vs Real and Atletico which still holds). And before Romario there was Hugo Sanchez who set many records which still hold even today. Sanchez got the most records in La Liga ever. You can look at Wiki La Liga records and his name always comes on top of almost all record tables for scoring. Not even Messi comes close to emulate some of them. Now we both now we don;t believe that a Sanchez is the best of his generation right? So why the exception for Ronaldo and Romario. You see what I mean? So not all records mean sometime. Not all records have to be put on the table. Only the most relevant records count. Pichichi, assists, gpg's in league matches, UCL performances, winning La Liga etc. those are the records that are relevant for a Ro-Ro debate.

7. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do you realise you are comparing Ronaldo single season vs Romario one and half seasons?

Can't you see you are mixing things up.

If we are comparing Ronaldo single first season with Barca then we should do the same for Romario.

And also it should be La Liga comparisons. Do not mix all competitions into one. Because Ronaldo played extensively in Copa Del Rey and Cupwinnercup, while Romario did not play in those competitions.

If you include all goals then you should include Romario's pre-seasons goals as well into the soup. Go ahead add 14 goals and 8 matches and see how the balance tips.

In La Liga only
    Ronaldo 34/37 vs Romario 30/33 goals
    Ronaldo 10 vs Romario 14 assists

You see how things change depending on how you look at it?

Different angles different views, different results.

It;s called cherry picking the best vs the worsed. Drop it please!

Pipiolo repped this.
  8. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Liek I said youi knew NOTHING of Romario but only a fanboy

Romario played 46games total for Barca 1994 season and only scored 32goals (I even added 34 before)
    Ronaldo played 49games total for Barca 1997 season and scored 47goals OK>

Now the NEXT half season 94-95, Romario scored 7goals/18games (that's another story)

9. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    You drop it please ---- lost case #1999

10. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Are you lame or something? can't your read my previous post?

I said, La Liga goals 30/33 vs 34/37.

What is wrong with you. These are official stats found on Barca's own website. Do I have to post it here?

Your 46 games is overall matches including Copa Del Rey and other regional matches. I am talking about the most relevant competition that matters. LA Liga! Who cares about other second tier competitions?

Pipiolo repped this.
  11. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pipiolo repped this.
  12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Typical FAN boy comment

For your INFO:
    ronaldo destroyed Real, Aletico Madrid to lead Barca to Copa Del rey final OK? and won cup winners for Barca!

Now let me tell you the STORY of UCL1994:
    Romario CHOKED big time in UCL94 for Barca, with the so called "dream team" - stoitchkov + Laudrup + Koeman behind .... In fact Stoitchkov was Barca best player in UCL 94 and won LIGA best player 1994

13. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I once had a signed romario psv shirt... True story.. Years ago My friend's father went on a buisness trip to holland ( eindhoven i presume, although everybody except his wife knew he had been to amsterdam along the way ! ) .. He was a football man and said he had brought romarios shirt on a tour of the phillips stadium.. Anyway , he gave it to my friend who was more into rugby union ( the twat ) and i mentally abused him until he let me buy it off him ! The shirt was in a glass picture frame.. Until i got my hands on it.. I wore it for football training every other day and refused to wash it ! I would try and wash it by hand without getting the signatures ink wet ! but in the end the inevitable happened.. Looking back its a shame i didnt keep it in its case but i just had to wear it.. I couldnt resist ! .. I know this story is of little importance to anyone anywhere but i ve told it now

14. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fanboys post big posters of their Idol, I do not, but you do all the time

I do not deny Ronaldo's goals vs Real, Atletico and Copa Del Rey. But Romario scored many hat tricks vs Real and Atletico. And instead of Copa Del Rey his goals were crucial for winning La Liga which is more important then Copa.

The story of UCL94 is not to be shamed of. Especially when Romario already made it into a list of selected few who won UCL top scorer title twice!!!! Ronaldo not even mentioned in the lists in UCL.

Romario La Liga 94 >>Ronaldo Copa Del Rey 97
    Romario UCL top scorer and final >>>>Ronaldo never top scorer UCL neither reaching final.

15. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And @JamesBH11 for your record

Romario's 93/94 season is way better then any season Ronaldo ever had.

WC94 +golden ball+silver ball, FIFA WPOTY, La Liga94 +pichichi, UCL finalist. All in year 94!

Mention to me one single season in which Ronaldo won every single important award and titles in the same season.

To win the highest titles in football in a single season is something very few have ever done. And R9 does not come in this category.

Highest peak my ass!

16. gilmour86

gilmour86 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Giles, here is a link with a interview with the coach Luis Felipe Scolari, where he explains Rivaldo importance for the team in WC02. Here are his thoughts:

"I know many people praise Ronaldo for that WC, but I never hid my opinion on this subject. Tatically and for the team, Rivaldo was the best players of that WC. IMO, Ronaldo was our second best player in that WC. Some people praise Ronaldo as the best player of that WC due to his history, his recovery from a serious injury when many doubted him. He had some great games there, but always restricted to his role as scorer. When we needed something special, someone who could play different roles for the team, someone who could dominate the games in our favor, it was Rivaldo who was able to do that. And if you don´t know, when we played against China, Rivaldo could have take the PK, but he passed that chance for Ronaldinho. The game was already 2-0 for us and he said to Ronaldinho: "go ahead kid, score this one. No problem if you miss". In that moment, he chose to give confidence for the kid instead of fight for the top scorer title. So, he was primarily a team player and hence deserves many praises"
    http://mais.uol.com.br/view/t2pjn3v...aldo-na-copa-de-2002-0402396AD0994346?types=A

greatstriker11, Pipiolo and leadleader repped this.
  17. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #3394 JamesBH11, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    WRONG again! You kept losing and still crying = LOST post #2001 now

Ronaldo: WPOY + Ballon Dor + Liga best player + UEFA golden boot + Liga toscorer >>> Romario + (WPOY + liga topscorer)

Romario won WPOY tahnks for Brazil win WC with Baggio's help! He would lose Ballon Dor to Stoitchkov anyway (who was voted as best player in :LIGA94, not Romario)
    Romario should thank to Stoitchkov for the UCL94 (7goals) that helped Romario to be in the final, and he CHOKED just like WC94 final.

For the record, Romario 2goals/8games UCL (zero goals from Group16 until final = 5games)

Ronaldo almost SINGLE HANDEDLY won things for Barca and Inter

=======================================

In term of BIG GAMES, Ronaldo >>>>>>>> Romario PERIOD

18. gilmour86

gilmour86 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Giles,
    I know James will say that the official lists say that Ronaldo was the king of WC, but where I live (São Paulo city), we also have a special source who say that Rivaldo was the best player of WC2002. The museum of football, in the Pacaembu stadium, which tells the story of brazilian football with many videos and articles. In the museum there are brief descriptions of the great brazilian legends. For Ronaldo they said something like: "The Phenomenon, a player who dominated the european football on his prime and also WC all time top scorer, etc." For Rivaldo: The best player of Brazil fifth WC glory, a discreet person that was a giant inside the pitch, etc"
    James and you must visit the museum if you come to São Paulo, it´s a great tour inside the history of brazilian football, many videos, images, articles, etc.

greatstriker11 and Pipiolo repped this.
  19. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Let's stop here until you can come up with catching 1999 lost posts

20. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    who cares those minority who might NEVER watched Ronaldo in Europe period ... (including YOU_)

Please do NOT tell me Ronaldo's games from Europe EXISTED in Sao Paolo by 96-99???? (but only some millionaires could afford with special DISH)

21. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Did he score in the semis?
    Did he score in the final?

Rivaldo and dinho were great but r9 was sublime!

22. Dagoods

Dagoods Member

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    So you admit thuram was stronger? Good for you.
    I was quoting another asesine comment of yours...
    romario
    So you admit thuram was stronger? Good for you. Baresi was the better defender but thuram was more versatile.
    I was quoting another asesine comment of yours, which I found more ludicrous.
    romario's technique was greater? Loool r9 was faster, stronger, better dribbler, better technique, and his finishing was just as good.

no excuses...france were the better team, more balanced side.
    r9 won the golden ball in 98 despite losing to france. Zidane had an ok tournament...r9 wasnt fully fit for the final.

in 06 guess what? He wasnt fully fit. He missed many months...was out injured. R9 needed to go under the knife (bone spurs) which he did immediately after the wc.

no excuses but facts!

23. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And Ronaldo choked in the CL every time in the round of 16.

CL02: Real Madrid champions
    Summer 02: Ronaldo joins RM
    Real Madrid one semifinal and four round of 16 exits with Ronaldo

That's going to be difficult, since Ronaldo only won one league title in his entire career :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link, and it confirms my thoughts that Rivaldo was the best player for Brazil at WC02. Unfortunately, the playacting incident against Turkey cost him the Golden Ball.

Rivaldo left Brazil in 1996, they also couldn't watch him except for the rich. And you actually said who cares what the city of Sao Paolo (pop. 12 million) has to say about the Brazilian players? But your opinion counts more?

greatstriker11 and leadleader repped this.