Discuss your surgery.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by StiltonFC, Apr 9, 2014.

1. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How's this for self-centered!

I just had a lymph node in my left cheek removed because 2 biopsies didn't tell any useful story. They gave me general anaesthetic -- Propofol followed by Sevoflurane, along with pain meds and an antinausea drug, Zofran. The surgery was about 2 hours because they wanted to avoid clipping any facial nerves. It's been 3 hours since I left the recovery room, and my body feels like I'm filled with foam. I'm mentally alert and I am fully ambulatory, but I'm waiting to feel like my motor function is sort of back to normal.

I have an incision just in front of my left ear -- I normally wear a full beard, and I was hoping for a scar -- not likely -- and I'm just starting to have a tiny bit of site pain. If I feel 80% when I get up tomorrow, I'll go to work. I have a sit-down job.

In a few days, they will let me know whether the lymph node had any malignancy. I'm guessing "yes", but it's my nature to be cautionary.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

"We got us th' Josey Wales!"

[​IMG]

Hoping things go well for you.

3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My meniscus tear surgery from a couple of years ago... that's funny I don't remember Weird Al being there...

4. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as it turns out i have B-cell Hodgkins lymphoma. meet with hematology oncologist on 4.28 to find out what the treatment will look like. since i don't have any of the classic symptoms, i'm guessing they've found this early. radiation may be the first course, specifically the area where the lymph node was taken from.

Cobalt may be my new favorite element.

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lost my dad to complications from pancreatic cancer (he threw a blood clot) in Dec 2012. You and your family are in my thoughts.

6. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck Stilton. Hope all turns out well.

My last surgery wasn't so serious. An arthroscopic repair of a tear in my glenoid labrum of the shoulder. This is the 1st of 9 short videos. I like the fact that my Dr. described what was happening.

7. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had a PET scan today. they inject some radioactive glucose tracer into ya and then put you in the CT tube to take pictures of the gamma rays emitted from the tracer.

we'll see pretty soon whether i lit up the pictures. also, i have a bone marrow biopsy on Friday AM. they drill into yer hip bone, the iliac crest. they numb you up first. it goes pretty quick. sore for a couple days. but they keep you awake for the drilling. i hate whirring noises. lol.

8. williamnantz

williamnantz New Member

May 13, 2014
    NSW
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    had an ankle surgery last year.... supported with two screws....
    bcos of a silly mistake... actually blunder...

9. Brad Parisien

Brad Parisien New Member

Jun 21, 2014
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I was born with bilateral club feet. Probably the worst possible curse a soccer player could have. If you care, google a picture of it. I went through surgery immediately after birth and was in casts for years. The doctors reconstructed my feet and I had one surgery on my left foot and two on my right (and ofcourse I'm right handed/footed). My right foot was way worse and it would either straighten out and be better during the years or get worse. It got worse and I'm battling it right now, and eventually I will have to go into surgery which is a year+ recovery. Although, even all of this can't keep me away from my love for football. I choose if I play not anyone or anything else.

10. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you have my deepest sympathy. my sister in law was born w/ feet that are extremely twisted. she has had multiple surgeries, but thet still resemble animal feet more than human. she plays golf or tennis every dat...and she's 68.

11. Brad Parisien

Brad Parisien New Member

Jun 21, 2014
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    She is a true inspiration without a doubt. It is tough, even just normal activities or working. As I'm only a teenager with high school under his belt and soon attending college, I don't have much job path choices, and after work I literally can't walk once I've sat down. So, it limits how much I'm able to work. Having this does limit me, but I live my life with the glass half full not half empty. To think there is a player from Liverpool who can play, and people like your sister in law are inspirations to keep me positive. Between surgeries and orthotics it should eventually be a bit easier.

12. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    had Cadillac surgery ( cataract, really, but why not? ) on right eye. kind of interesting. fully awake, but no worries.