Annoying Commentators thread...

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by saabrian, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'll drink with him too.... Listen to him commentate? I have a Scottish uncle that out does his schtick ...no....

Cantona---

2. Beast_Ed

Beast_Ed Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Boston MetroWest
    This thread was notably quiet today, despite the EPL starting on NBC. Why? Because they actually used the REAL commentators. Thanks NBC for not bringing in idiots from the NFL, NBA, or MLB.

bigtw64 repped this.
  3. nwufooty

nwufooty Member

May 18, 2004
    Bloody, bloody ears! Arlo White is bloody awful. I can't take it anymore.....

4. Charles

Charles Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Idaho
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #304 Charles, Aug 27, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
    Couldn't find a thread about this...surely I'm not the only one who noticed...I posted it on my FB page and got quite a few "Looks like Onion Sports" comments. The way Alexi talked, he really seemed to not know the difference between 'parody' and 'parity'... 044small.jpg

Oh--this was Sunday night, August 25, at the break in the Sounders-Timbers match...

saabrian and TX Bill repped this.
  5. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just turned on this Fox Soccer Daily to see this blonde on with Wynalda and Cobi beside her. She is simply not TV Friendly i.e. her voice. Just seems too clumsy. The better female hosts that I see weather it is on sports or current news has a closer to monotone thing going on. Too much inflections with highs in intonation just seems a bit clownish IMHO.

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had to put this somehere...

John Harkes is a buffoon. I pretty much knew this before, from his less than insightful color commentary on ESPN years ago. But today it just became even clearer.

He's on SiriusXM "Counter Attack" radio show right now, and they were discussing at length the Spurs-Chelsea match and once, twice, three times he referred to it as the "North London Derby".

You'd think a guy who played quite a few years in England would have a clue.

BTW, his sidekick Tony Meola seemed pretty much on the ball, from the little I heard of him.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Phil Schoen's opening statement for Ethiopia x Nigeria:

"Watching the 2 sides step on the pitch. It is altitude but the super eagles should be ready."

Ok thanks, Borat.

How do you screw up the opening statement of a broadcast? Didn't you think about what you wanted to say and make some notes? Christ!

8. richardfromnyc

Apr 6, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Is it me or is Ian Joy on Bein just an awful color commentator? Just full of tired clichés "This is what football is all about" , "The goal goes in and the crowd goes electric!" , "He wants a goal so badly!" with absolutely no analysis. His 'analysis' is just a recap of what we just saw - " look at that! he shoots! the ball hits the back of the net and puts his team up 1-0!" or "Look at that skill!" - yeah we know, we just saw it. No analysis of formation, tactics, or team selection

9. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its not just you anytime I hear him i put the sound down so low.

10. digdeeper

digdeeper Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    He is terrible.

11. richardfromnyc

Apr 6, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I wonder if Ian Joy even understands the game besides scoring a goal helps you win . Just give some analysis like "it looks like Milan have switched to a 3-4-3 formation" or "Real Madrid are playing a really high line here and I'm afraid they might get caught" .... all he says are generalities that can be applied to any match on TV - "It's all about the guts and glory!" , "Wow!.. what a goal! and the crowd goes crazy" , and he must say "This is what Football is all about!" every match

12. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Resurrecting this thread to say how much I hate Gus Johnson.

13. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GuJo just narrated Real Madrid's goal! :D

14. ajaffe

ajaffe Member

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gus Johnson, the American, reads off his sheet relentlessly.

Wynalda, the American, is just as bad which is depressing for his inability to articulate beyond the obvious given his playing and coaching background.

15. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just remember that GuJo will be the official voice of the Champions League Final!! :):notworthy::sneaky:

16. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Can't believe I'm sacrificing HD to watch a Champions League semi, but at least I can get Gary Neville and a competent play by play guy and can immerse myself in the game via the SAP feature on FoxDeportes.

17. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek::eek:

18. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Now this GuJo circlejerk is just ridiculous. The man has been promised to be a leading PBP man for FOX. The only way they can do that is by making him their voice of anything that Joe Buck doesn't do. Also, if he was a Brit, I expect guys like Cantona to be kissing his feet...

19. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    So bad... mAdric, ancelAti, carvajOl... This shouldn't be happening after how many years.

20. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For as much hate as Gus Johnson has, it could be a LOT worse.

Case in point: Dave O'Brien circa 2006

21. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

The only one in the circle jerk is you... Looking for your GUSGASM

Still defending him and the pricks at BeIN ..

You have proven your the college kid down the pub wearing your MAN U jersey... Because you think its COOL.. The hipster du-fess is still alive

Like I have always said keep buying those jerseys plonker.

Cantona---

22. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007
    which is why they should've known better and not attempted this crap. Even thought it's a different network.

Here are some tidbits from the game:

England's version of Mr. Clean - Howard Webb (whynalda)

Anchelotti really chewing that gum - (2mins. later) something's wrong, he's not chewing that gum (wynalda)

he'll cross ITTTTTT!!!!!

I-yen Robben

he'll dump it in

teammate with Ribery on the French International team

Kroosch

FIRES!!!!!

26 year old from Argentina, he'll be on the international team

(keep mentioning Gareth Bale every 5 mins. because we're playing to the Brit ex-pat crowd)

Man ZOOOOO kitch

cross it INNNNNNNN!!!!!

==================================================================

maybe he was passing kidney stones and I should give him a break but it's so obvious that he's reading facts off a card to make himself sound more knowledgeable and I've seen no improvement.

TJNash repped this.
  23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reaction to Johnson (and broadcast partner Eric Wynalda) was universally negative in social media. Naturally this should come with a warning that Twitter reviews don’t speak for everybody. But it’s concerning that you could hardly find a single viewer praising Johnson or Wynalda for their work yesterday. We’re talking Tim McCarver territory, here. The feedback for Johnson & Wynalda is in the same ballpark as the vociferous outrage over Chris Berman appearing at golf’s US Open.

This shouldn’t just concern Fox executives that have expressed their commitment to this grand experiment, it should alarm them. It should send them into a panic,cracking each others’ heads open and feasting on the goo inside. If fans are this opposed to Johnson now, it might be too far gone for them to change their minds.

Even if Johnson shows slight improvement year over year from now until 2018, he will have already lost fans by the time the World Cup comes around. That’s the cold, harsh reality that Fox is missing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/24/gus-johnson-american-fans-not-impressed_n_5206457.html

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can only pray or hope that they come to their senses, listen to the public (and yes that includes twitter), and bring back the guys who are actually good at calling footy.

P.s. as much has i love Brits like Tyler and Darke, it's not so much about what accent they have. It's about the value and quality of what they say. Shoot even someone like JP Delacamera blows the doors off Gujo & Eric.

JayRockers! repped this.
  25. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He used to get a lot of abuse from certain sectors--but Sullivan used to be one of the best announcers the old Fox Soccer used to have. I would hope that they think of putting him to good use in the upcoming Russia World Cup.