Yew H'ain't seen th' Last of Us... SEC 2014 Thread

Discussion in 'Football' started by Auriaprottu, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  4. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Drunk college kids, Men and Women chasing past glory, rich people who want to show off how rich they are, or families?

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    None of the above. I was talking about the sort of fans who teabag teenage boys, call in death threats and poison trees.

Please bear in mind that South Carolina didn't join the SEC until late, so maybe you're still adapting to the culture and haven't yet seen these folks or had to listen to them in public places.

Catracho_Azul repped this.
  6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  7. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    SEC is the strongest conference no doubt but many of the teams especially in the SEC east are straight up weak.

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The East is weak.

9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    [​IMG]

War Eagle VI, 1980-2014

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  12. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    True, the testing is so predictable if you don't fail one, Mark Stepnoski ex cowboy spoke on how he'd really only have to stop for 6 weeks out of the year to avoid them. I can't bitch to much about the testing policy but is leaving Josh Gordon with even more free time a good thing? Is Justin Blackmon's drinking going to get better without football? I just think these guys were in dark places mentally and I don't see how the suspensions will help. Every circumstance is different but these two pissed me off.

13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  15. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm starting to understand why you guys are so obsessed with SEC football. The Paul Finebaum show was extremely entertaining today for good and bad reasons haha.

Chesco United repped this.
  16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #16 Auriaprottu, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    Sorry, didn't see this earlier. It ain't "us guys"- personally, I'm an NFL man, and I try to keep discussion among my offline friends focused on the game's highest level. It's the rest of the people in this region that give more weight to school ball than it deserves. It seems to be an effective distraction for all the other stuff that's wrong in Dixieland- the 13 Confederate states tend to be at or near the bottom in everything, but a B(C)S title makes that okay.

I started this thread because it's been the default for school ball discussion over the last few seasons. IIRC, that Azul poster usually starts it, but he didn't this year for some reason. That said, I really don't think he has anything to be ashamed of as an SEC supporter- my guess is three of his fourteen teams will be picked for this shamoff and one of them will win. I don't see FSU repeating.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  18. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I've always been into the pros more too, although i'm starting to get into the SEC.

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'd offer only this bit of advice- pick one team (instead of supporting the entire conference) and unless you got a fetish for the crazy, support them from afar. ESPN is working very hard to spread the gospel of SEC football across the nation, so that won't be difficult.

IMO, the most amusing fans aren't the actual grads of the individual schools but those who never matriculated any university but live and die for a school football team. My home state consistently brings up the rear in every category of quality of life, but hey, we got Nick Saban and Jacob Coker, so it's all good....

Emperor Adriano repped this.
  20. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #20 Emperor Adriano, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    Phylis or Charles from Reeltown Alabama pretty much sums up the bold in the quote.. I kind of want to make a voyage down there and see what all the fuss is about. I do envy you guys producing killer hs athletes/fb teams although I should be thankful for the better educational standards up here. I was thinking about choosing Ole Miss but I just can't do it because I know to much about Mississippi. Maybe Tennessee , Idk. I just started trying to watch the SEC more because it is the closest to pro style football. I do feel bad for judging the South especially since I've never visited. Your pm last year was informative though.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I really don't have anything negative to say about the actual universities that the fb programs are in charge of. I think most non-scientific majors would do as well in the workplace as any other no matter where they came from. I mean, I don't hold Penn State or Rutgers or Ohio State in any higher regard than I do an SEC school, but I know some do. Academic rankings are for admission and recruiting department bragging rights, IMO.

State culture wise, Alabama's no different than Mississippi, Louisiana or Georgia (which has Atlanta, but if you don't live in the metro ATL, you might as well live in Alabama, Louisiana or Mississippi). Tennessee offered the HC gig to Charlie Strong before he decided to go to Texas, and they started Condredge Holloway at QB before Bama even got its first Black player, so that's something. But the USC win in 1970 hasn't worked out at all like some people thought it would- in fact, it's worse in some ways, because the SEC now profits off that slavetrade-bred athleticism without selecting head coaches and administrators

(and QBs- you will see Jacob Coker start at Bama this fall, and you've already seen Philip Sims have to leave to get a shot at the starting QB job. In the last 20 years Bama has killed the NFL careers of at least four blue-chip QBs who... happened... to be Black)

from the same demographic. I don't blame the conference's movers and shakers for that, tho- I blame Black folks who play there and/or support those programs.

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As for the PM- always glad to enlighten folks. No problem.

23. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Phillip Sims had to transfer to Winston Salem a few months back which is depressing. I don't put a lot of weight in colleges academics and reputation I was more or less referring to the public schools up here compared with down there that aren't at the college level. Saban is claiming there will be a "fair" competition for the bama qb job this off season lol i'm not buying it. I'm just hoping Charlie Strong makes people eat crow... They all missed on him the first time when he went to Louisville and now a 2nd time, when you can just tell that the man has it.. I'm just trying to figure out why the deep south produces so much more talent than everyone else. I did some research about the Zow situation btw and you were completely right about the situation, contrary to what is spread to the masses. You're from Huntsville right? What I want to find out about the South is why are there so many black people in rural areas? Here it is the opposite pretty much, even in villages.

24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #24 Auriaprottu, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    I think Bama killed his drive and confidence. He should never have gone there. I didn't want to say that when he declared and sound mean-spirited or negative, but what happened is exactly what I figured would happen.

Nor am I. I think Saban's willing to appease the Bama boosters so long as he keeps winning games, and if he can do that with McElroy/McCarron/Coker under center, it'll be okay with him. IMO, Bama's fanbase needs to see at least one White guy on the field who isn't a lineman, and the best place for him in the eyes of that fanbase is at QB. What spoke volumes to me was Saban --a defense man all his career-- pimping McCarron for the Heisman when he knew, you knew, I knew, everybody and his dog knew C.J. Mosley was the best player on his whole team. Look at the list of Bama QBs with significant NFL careers that began since 1970, and you'll find... Jeff Rutledge. That is all, sir. They've had waaay more top-level NFL players at the other scrimmage positions in that same timeframe. Joe Namath and Bart Starr and Kenny Stabler were the real thing. These new QBs are not. Jay Barker? Gary Hollingsworth?

I don't think that'll be a problem if he doesn't lose recuits because of his color (that happened to Willie Jeffries at Wichita state, according to him, with some recruits telling him they weren't comfy playing for a Black head coach). They'll still go tit-for-tat with Oklahoma, but they should- OU's a major power themselves. But no way should Texas have ever dropped like they did. Shit, VY's athleticism was all that gave Mack Brown a ring in 2005. He sure didn't coach those plays Vince made with his feet.

IMO, love of the game here combined with so little else to do. And a climate that allows year-round training. And a demograpic that's been duped into believing that athletics are the only way they can get out of poverty.

Zow should never have gone to Tuscaloosa. I wonder why he didn't end up at Florida (where he's from), given that he was a statue in the pocket (not much mobility) and a very good passer. I don't know if maybe Spurrier wanted something different than Zow, or that maybe Zow wasn't interested in putting up with Spurrier's fickle way of handling QBs.

Yep, I'm from Huntsville.

Well, Atlanta, Birmingham, Nashville, Memphis, Louisville, New Orleans, Chattanooga and Charleston all have significant Black numbers, so that isn't really different from the Northeast.

Also, not all the rural areas are heavily populated by Black folks, but the ones that are, are largely because the land is/was used for agriculture. The areas with the most fertile soil are the ones that had the biggest plantations and the most slaves.

[​IMG]

The Blackland Prairie (so called for the really dark soil as opposed to the red clay we're known for) counties have the most fertile soil in the state. They're also heavily Black in population, from slavery. That purple strip doesn't stop at the state line- the same kind of soil starts in Northern Mississippi and runs thru Middle Georgia as well, almost to Savannah. And those counties are as heavily Black as the ones in Central Alabama and North Mississippi, for the same reason.

Emperor Adriano repped this.
  25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I also wanna say that I don't hate on McCarron himself. He did everything he could have done to make himself an NFL player. I just don't think he's as good as Sims could have been, and certainly not as good as the rest of his teammates. I would have loved to have seen any of his drafted teammates in a Steeler uniform next year, because any of them can help us. I can't yet say the same for A.J.