Rode Duivels - pre World Cup friendly campaign

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Belgian guy, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Hert

Hert Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Really unexpected but also really good news! I have to admit I had given up on him. I can see him playing a big part in the Euro 2016 qualifiers if he continues to progress like this season, because let's face it, if your ambition is winning the thing players like Chadli and Mirallas won't cut it as starters, even though they are better wingers then anything we've had since Vercauteren maybe?

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    My updated squad (after the injuries and Januzaj's announcement)

Goalkeepers:

Courtois
    Mignolet
    Proto

Defenders:

Kompany
    Lombaerts
    Vermaelen
    Vertonghen
    Van Buyten
    Alderweireld
    Pocognoli
    Meunier

Midfielders:

Witsel
    Fellaini
    Defour
    Simons
    Chadli
    Dembele

Attackers:

De Bruyne
    Hazard
    Mertens
    Lukaku
    Januzaj
    Mirallas

The only problem with taking Januzaj is the lack of real cover at CF...

3. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    That could very well be our squad in Brazil ... unsure if Januzaj can still make the final cut in this stage of the campaign ... although we can use his creative spark (e.g. as a sub in the group matches).

I wouldn't change much ... instead of Proto, I'd go with Bossut ... he's an unassuming good-natured guy ... Wilmots likes to avoid discord, maybe he has a chance ... in any case hoping that Courtois remains in top form. Probably Poco and Simons will get into the final 23 ... I still prefer Nainggolan (hard to ignore on current form) and Michy (imao Wilmots should select him and take less than 8 defenders to Brazil ... either Meunier or VDB).

4. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Januzaj will be called up for the preliminary squad (article in Dutch) ... Wilmots says he wants to see how he handles himself during training camp ... if Adnan convinces him on the pitch, he can be selected ... guessing we'll get to see his first app(s) as an international during those friendlies (either he'll be cap-tied in Brazil or during the EURO2016 Qs). I'd like Adnan to get into the final 23 ... still it seems odd that Wilmots is considering him as a replacement for Benteke ... I suspect as a false 9 but thought he preferred a lone CF that can play with his back towards the goal ... regardless Lukaku most likely starts and I'd say Januzaj could be used as a sub on the wings (when he grows stronger and unlocks his potential, could be a great 10).

5. ra_sriniketan

ra_sriniketan Member

Jul 5, 2010
    what if lukaku gets injured during the competition?

6. Rode Duivels fan

Apr 16, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I think that Wilmots will indeed take Januzaj as the replacement for Benteke. Wilmots holds the Belgian Pro League in very low regard; he once stated that Mirallas would have 30 goals if he played there (I'd be a little less optimistic but he would likely be one of the best players in the league, as would Januzaj).

As much as I like Michy Batshuayi's talents, he's way off form. Vossen has been subpar by his standards, and the rest (Mboyo, De Sutter, Pollet etc.) aren't that good anyway.

Also, just because Mirallas said he's not a striker doesn't mean Wilmots won't play him there. And in the game against England, Wilmots played Hazard as a false nine. Wasn't a success, but he's shown willing to try it, especially if it fits the team's talent better than the alternative.

7. ra_sriniketan

ra_sriniketan Member

Jul 5, 2010
    so we r basically going to the WC with a single genuine CF! sounds ridiculous!

8. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    I would have liked both, Benteke & Lukaku, to make the trip ... Benteke & his teammates feel bad that he has to miss out too ... regardless NTs have to deal with injuries all of the time ... we'd be stronger with Benteke, yet we're not lost with Lukaku as our lone CF ... Spain has won games without Torres in the past, Germany now has less attractive options (possibly playing without a genuine CF), etc. ... also Lukaku seems to struggle more when he's lower on the pecking order and plays with more confidence when he's a guaranteed starter ... still I'm hoping Michy is called up for training camp (making the final cut depending on how well his form is ahead of the deadline).

9. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Just read this article (in Dutch) ... unless Wilmots is motivating Michy in a confrontational manner, he won't make the cut ... for Origi Brazil is too early unless Wilmots will bring him for experience ... Mboyo might even have less of a chance than Origi & Michy ... in the Walloon press Bruno (Bastia) was put forward, yet I'm guessing he isn't being considered ahead of the others ... Y.F-C & Bakkali have been in slump after a great start to this season, seems unlikely that they'll be called up.

Wilmots had asserted that the time for experiments was over after the Japan friendly ... Januzaj as a 9 feels like a bigger experiment than using him out wide ... imao he's too young and not strong enough (+ Dembele was successful at AZ and could be our best utility man) ... guessing Mirallas will be our pinch hitter when Lukaku isn't on the pitch ... bringing Januzaj for experience/as a sub out wide.

10. ra_sriniketan

ra_sriniketan Member

Jul 5, 2010
    The two friendlies we have is against Luxemberg and Sweden. While sweden is a tough team, any performance against luxemberg should not be taken into consideration. At this moment wilmots either have to take a risk by taking a raw striker or depend on the attacking midfielders to score goals if lukaku gets injured. fellaini, although going through a horror patch may be surprisingly used as a second striker as moyes did use him in everton!

11. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    We also play Tunisia.

12. ra_sriniketan

ra_sriniketan Member

Jul 5, 2010
    ok.

13. Rode Duivels fan

Apr 16, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Intrestingly enough, our last world class attacking talent made his debut against Luxembourg as well (Hazard). Hopefully Januzaj gets a chance to show his talent in both games, same goes for Dries Mertens, he's really impressed me with his form in Italy. And if he's called up, I'd like to see Nainggolan start, and not come into at half time when the tempo is taken out of the game.

14. ra_sriniketan

ra_sriniketan Member

Jul 5, 2010
    When the preliminary team will be announced?

15. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Tomorrow 12PM

16. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    26 will be called up ... 4 GKs (if fit, Casteels is on the team) ... that means 2 players will be cut besides the GK decision. Januzaj will get a chance to prove himself ... Simons reportedly has to compete with 8 others (Wilmots said there's a lot of competition and he has to choose between 9 players) ... Wilmots didn't reveal much about adding an extra CF option (maybe he'll opt for another defender instead) ... tomorrow we'll know more.

17. ra_sriniketan

ra_sriniketan Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Why 26 when 30 can be chosen! are we out of depth or what!

18. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    According to Wilmots, he doesn't need to call up 30 players ... our squad has been well established ... only 2 spots can be contested.

19. ra_sriniketan

ra_sriniketan Member

Jul 5, 2010
    The main concern is who is to back up lukaku? why not call up 4 more strikers to see how they fare in the training camp! cause except lukaku I cannot see a genuine center forward in this team who is physically be a nuisance for any defense and thats a must isn't it!

20. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Wilmots has confidence in Lukaku and Mirallas is just below him in the pecking order (out wide we have much more depth) ... Januzaj & Hazard also provide options while Wilmots said that nobody has the same profile as Benteke and he might opt to play without a genuine center forward ... as I said before Wilmots didn't reveal much about adding an extra CF option (maybe he'll opt for another defender instead) ... we'll know more soon.

21. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Press conference preselection:

22. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Proto if Casteels doesn't make it (by 2 June);
    Origi ... biggest surprise ... bringing him for experience;
    Adnan makes the cut because he impressed Wilmots + to gain experience;
    Simons left out ...Radja competing with Defour ... praise for Malanda;
    AVB evolved well and can be used as an impact sub;
    Ciman either as RB or CB back-up ... he has deserved his spot and Wilmots likes 8 defenders;
    Michy, Radja, Thorgan, Poco, Gillet & Van Damme in stand-by mode.

Wilmots opts for youthful players ... at club level our players have plenty of experience ... now adding big trny experience (besides Beijing2008).

23. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Marc Wilmots over Divock Origi: "Toen Christian Benteke geblesseerd moest afhaken, hebben we intensief alle mogelijke oplossingen bekeken. Ik heb Origi bekeken tegen Marseille, Bordeaux en PSG. Hij staat derde met Rijsel, is enorm snel, gaat diep, heeft een heel goeie techniek en een heel goeie mentaliteit. Hij voert ook zijn defensieve werk goed uit. Het ging tussen Batshuayi en Origi en in het profiel dat ik zocht, paste Origi het best met al die genoemde kwaliteiten."

24. ra_sriniketan

ra_sriniketan Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Yep, I always thought that we were a center forward short and thankfully wilmots thought it likewise. origi is a good selection.

25. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    LOL, a player like Radja in stand-by.