NASL Bay Area

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by Earthquake FC, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it really wouldn't.

A free college exhibition game would not even remotely translate to the interest in a Division II professional team.

If it did, there would be Division II teams in Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo already.

Green and BLue and SoccerPrime repped this.
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #427 falvo, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Thanks for the link but there have been college spring games going on for a month now and they aren't well attended. I was at the CAL vs. SJSU game last month at Spartan Stadium in San Jose and hardly anyone was there. Don't think it will mean much to potential aspiring SF NASL fans. I hope they will come out but I doubt it.

athletics68 repped this.
  3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice try by the NASL folks. but until they find a rich boob willing to lose millions they're just blowing smoke up everyone's backsides. But enjoy the meaningless spring friendly that even those college's own fans don't care about...

4. Earthquake FC

Earthquake FC Member

Feb 7, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently, Peterson isn't too concerned (yet) about MLS getting into NASL turf, if you believe this recent interview below. He is still targeting San Francisco and the West Coast in a deliberate fashion, according to him ......

http://soccer.si.com/2014/02/27/nasl-playoff-format-bill-peterson/

“Can somebody tell me, is [MLS commissioner Don Garber] going to have 32 teams or 42 teams?” Peterson asked. “How many is he going to have? Every day he announces another city. I’ve got to send him an update of where we’re going so he can announce that next.”

Peterson said he remained confident that Northern Virginia and Oklahoma City would kick off in 2015 despite lingering ownership issues with each. The Jacksonville Armada also are scheduled to start next year, and Peterson claimed that there have been conversations with expansion interests in San Francisco, Orange County and Los Angeles, and San Diego, among others.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Peterson definitely sounds confident. Putting forth successful teams in SF is another story though. I do hope it materializes but it remains to be seen and I don't see it anytime soon or in 5 years time.

The Warriors will be moving into Mission Bay in 2018 so that could drum up some interest in getting a soccer team out there but I have my doubts.

6. Earthquake FC

Earthquake FC Member

Feb 7, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One thing that Peterson could do is to follow the NBA and NFL example of having existing teams play an exhibition with a local team in the targeted city, in order to properly gauge local interest, For example, the NY Cosmos could play a "friendly" with both the USF Dons or UC Berkeley Bears in San Francisco. That, I think, instead of tomorrow's USF-Berkeley "exhibition" game at Negoesco Stadium, would have been a better sell in San Francisco. NASL could have twice a year "friendlies" mirroring their split season format, to get the locals familiar with the concept, ahead of potential ownership stepping in and commit an NASL San Francisco expansion team.

oneeyedfool repped this.
  7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confident is one word to use. Another would be obnoxious or unprofessional or clown.

athletics68 repped this.
  8. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd go with delusional or stark raving mad.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah he is trying to be a showboat. Glad that at least he thinks he can make in each town he mentions. Seeing is believing though.

10. Earthquake FC

Earthquake FC Member

Feb 7, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "North American Soccer League team of Jacksonville Armada FC announced a partnership with the Real Madrid Foundation, RPM Sports and Publix to bring player development clinics to Northeast Florida this summer. The Real Madrid Foundation is the social and cultural awareness arm of Real Madrid C.F. and is charged with promoting the values inherent in soccer in Spain and around the world."

They're not taking Real Madrid players on loan, so I'm pretty sure the MLS D1 status is safe for now. Nice for them to interact with Madrid though

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    These partnerships mean nothing. The Quakes partnered with the Spurs and all they got was Simon Dawkins for two seasons , 2 years ago and nothing else ever since.

13. thesockerguy

thesockerguy Guest

MILB owns rights to the Seals name on merchandise. MILB generate the a ton revenue from those Seals retro jersey sales so I doubt they'll sell.

14. thesockerguy

thesockerguy Guest

#439 thesockerguy, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
    The names weren't trademarked, only the Surf, Sting logos. It's not an expansion ploy, it's a money-making scheme. They're licensing the logos to Toffs, etc to generate profits.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A ton?

Really?

Ebbets Field Flannels apparently offers a 1933 Seals jersey. For $195.

But if you can find this supposed best-selling jersey in MiLB's official online store, let me know because I am still looking.

16. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    FCE was kind of out on an island. Still the furthest NASL team from any other club to the west the NASL is beginning to fill in some cities a bit closer and a Canadian rival in Ottawa.
    MLS pretty much has a nice west coast grouping of cities from Vancouver to LA with Seattle, Portland, San Jose nicely in between and a new SSS in San Jose finally

17. thesockerguy

thesockerguy Guest

#442 thesockerguy, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
    That's how they make their ton of money. Like the NASL does with the Surf, Sting they license it to companies like Ebbets Fied Flannels, etc. I don't know if they still have Seals jerseys at the MILB shop but I do know I've seen em before years ago before I stopped watching baseball.

18. thesockerguy

thesockerguy Guest

I don't know if it helps but I found Seals caps on their site. The name is worthsomething to them. Remember when the Rowdies had trouble obtaining their name? Baseball merch is a bigger market than soccer merch so it will be more difficult to buy the Seals name than the Rowdies trouble to buy their name.

19. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    So, let me get this right, you are obsessing about how to purchase a name for a club that doesn't (and probably won't) exist?

Ok.

20. thesockerguy

thesockerguy Guest

That's how much I love the game. If you don't love the game, fine but don't criticize people that do.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #446 falvo, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    I still want to know who the NASL Bay Area owner is and when will he/they come forward with their expansion bid?

22. Earthquake FC

Earthquake FC Member

Feb 7, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Portland/Seattle is MLS, NASL knows California is critical to whatever they do coming out west, so they're probably being careful on next steps. I imagine they're keeping tabs on Sacramento situation to see where Repub FC comes out. NASL looking to lock in OKC and Tulsa; could SF and Sac be similar lock for NASL? If I'm NASL, I'd look at Spokane, Boise and Calgary to go with FCE up there.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its been a year since this thread started and there still no news for an NASL team in SF or the Bay Area. I hope someone comes up with an ownership group but I still have doubt anyone will materialize in a years time .

24. Earthquake FC

Earthquake FC Member

Feb 7, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's going to happen in time. NASL is deliberately plotting a strategy of "highway rivalries" (my terminology) in their expansion plans. Examples: TB/FTL/JAX in Florida; ATL/CHL up the road; coming soon ... NYCosmos/Hartford by 2016 http://www.psmgroupllc.com/home
    NASL looking to lock up OKC/Tulsa in near future. Once they do that back east, it makes sense for NASL to look west in a similar way. SF/SAC in NorCal???

25. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No chance NASL sets up shop in Sac. The Republic have the market locked down.

Prosoccercdn repped this.