David Texeira

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by soccersubjectively, Apr 6, 2014.

1. ThatDutchPerson

ThatDutchPerson New Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Pretty sure it was just me, asking about him twice. ;) I was just curious how he's adapting to another league. I've bashed him pretty hard whe he was playing for us, and during many drunken debates he's still brought up by some as a potential scorer. I like to have some first-hand info when I keep bashing him to my friends.

2. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    he's put himself in good positions to have scored 3-4 goals this season...but hasnt finished his chances and only has 1. as stated, off ball movement isnt the best but to me that part can take the longest to gel with a new team

3. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's definitely not Tecks-air-a. From my limited study of Portuguese (Onde fica o banheiro?), the x in the middle makes a sh sound.

4. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're right, Felipe, about Portuguese. I only hesitate because he's Uruguayan and may have Hispanified the pronunciation, plus the announcers. Somebody in Frisco should ask him at the next opportunity.

5. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But in any Hispanic language would the x take on the pronunciation it has in English?

6. ThatDutchPerson

ThatDutchPerson New Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    In Holland it was pronounced by everyone as Tecks-air-a, which he himself seemed to agree with. I would think that if he didn't, he woud have said something after 2 years.

7. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True about the possible change of pronunciation to the language of his home nation. I know a guy whose last name is Cardenas. His family has been in the US for generations. They pronounce it "Car-DEE-nas" instead of "CAR-day-nahs" as it would be in in Spanish.

8. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically he's not that good.

Maybe he's one of those players who needs to "adjust to the style of MLS", but he'll have to convince me.

9. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Sorry I am not much of a baseball fan. But I believe the MLB Rangers had some guy who sported a jersey with the name Texiera too. How did the TV talking heads pronounce his name? Might be force of habit?

Maybe it is simply a tip of the hat to Tex Hooper? If Texiera would ever cooperate and start scoring loads of goals, I would personally start calling him BIG Tex. I wouldn't be so keen on calling him BIG Tesh. (Makes him sound like some whispy pop or folk singer who gives you advice about self improvement. And let me tell you, I avoid all of that stuff.)

I remember when some young TV sports girl mispronounced then NBA Maverick guard Mark Aguirre with instead the Hispanic pronunciation of Ah-ghee-rrreh. Made me spurt Coca-Cola through my nose. Now that was a funny thing to hear on a sportscast.

10. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Te-share-ah

The stadium PA announcer even says Teh-sare-ah. I know the TV guys, especially Followill, usually make sure to verify pronunciation with the FO or the player themselves before taking to the air. The FO usually produces a pronunciation run sheet for the media as well. The way you're hearing it on TV is likely it.

11. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not bad, not bad...

13. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Really showing great restraint at not making any tasteless comments about the aforementioned and the cannon in the background . Nice image

14. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    i like her tweet and how she refers to fcd in the feminine...like a boat or a country...something huge

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Down boy!

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw it listed somewhere as the correct pronunciation. The odd thing is if truly converted to Spanish shouldn't it be Tay-hair-a like Meh-he-ko (Mexico) and Tay-hoss (Texas)?

Parrothead FC repped this.
  17. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    She can't handle b247 lovin' ;)

18. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought Texeira linked up well today in his few minutes, especially considering the lack in numbers. I'm suspect about him and Akindele being on the field at the same time though. Both run around a little too much.

19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They got in each other's way once but I like Akindele as a partner to either player if going 4-4-2. He's much faster while Blas and Tex are more similar type players. I think Akindele will score a lot of goals in this league although probably not that many this year.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  20. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    There was a moment late in the game when a ball was in the air, just inside the NY's side of midfield, and Texeira just stood there watched it come down and made no effort to get to it - and just allowed Dax - someone that appears to officially be half as tall - win the header.

I literally yelled out, and I apologized to everyone around me, "HOW DOES DAX WIN THAT HEADER?!?!" When MLS makes the game available on MLS live I'll figure out a way to make a GIF of it.

21. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ha, you're too nice. If I apologized every time I yelled out during a match, I would be saying sorry all game.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, keep that up and you will have to change your handle to Niceman.

23. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I've reached a verdict: Texeira is useless. He neither creates nor gets into dangerous positions to score. At least Blas was making a useful-looking run when he got clobbered for the PK. And Blas touched the ball fifteen or twenty times last night. I didn't even hear Texeira's name until he was subbed out.

24. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Yeah he seemed lost all game last night, it was terrible. A recall multiple clearances to him where he didn't jump, instead he tried to back into the defender, who just went over him. What's odd is his opta stats don't look awful, but his play certainly didn't reflect anything positive as I watched, and I am the guy who has been standing up for him!

25. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stats that matter for a striker:

Texeira:
    9 games played (4 started)
    5 shots on goal
    9 shots total
    1 goal
    0 assists

Perez:
    9 games played (7 started)
    7 shots on goal
    16 shots total
    3 goals
    2 assists

Blas is not really having a great year so far, but he's measurably better than Texeira.