Team Name

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by socceriscoolusa, Nov 1, 2003.

1. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Cabrera is starting to cement his style with the players. Let Cabrera have his time or process, as they say. It would be awfully myopic to replace Cabrera with Galindo just because Galindo has a history in Mexico. That's the same arrogant mindset that Vergara had.

Our team name has to look to the future and be inclusive. If we use LA Aztecs, then we're alienating non-Guadalajara fans, I mean, non-Aztecs. :rolleyes:

2. Cabrito

Cabrito Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Sancadilla is legit thanks to his sources inside Mexican teams; however, I don't want to believe that Garber would gamble on a Mexican owner again AND a putrid brand like the Aztecs, PLUS an additional "diluted" Mexican roster component? It makes no sense...

USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  3. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Aztecs were partly owned by Club America. Probably won't happen. I don't know who owns the rights, and I don't feel like doing a trademark search.

Keeping a "Latin" theme is ok as long as by "Latin" it doesn't mean just Mexican. California has a distinct Latin culture of its own and going down the Mexican road will reek of Chivas days past.

I think three things are necessary for this to work:

1. A stadium downtown or transit close.

2. An owner who's going to foster supporter culture, ala Kansas City.

3. An owner who doesn't completely alienate 80% of Los Angeles.

4. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I broke down and did a trademark search. NASL trademarked LA Aztecs in 2012.

CTS26 and USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  5. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like someone said this... oh, seven pages ago. (SPOILER ALERT!!!! It was me.):p

6. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    I don't think a Mexican owner is bad just Vergara was bad. He just needs to $how some real investment, in players, advertisement, $tadium etc then who cares if he's mexican or not.
    Many of you guys have heard my support for a Chicano vibe for the team, not exclusive but , it should be there. But if we're not gonna get the best then why bother.
    I've been dying for some news about potential ownership for a couple months now so this just put some wind back in my sails

7. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really care what the vibe is, as long as the team is committed to winning. CUSA was a gimmick to a large extent. Other teams have gimmicks, the Galaxy have Hispanic night, Italian night, etc., but their number 1 goal, bar none, is to win. If anything else is the priority the team will fail. The new owner, whatever their background is, should have two priorities that drive everything else.

1. Win

2. Put butts in the seats

CTS26 and sodi_gar repped this.
  8. Cabrito

Cabrito Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    #183 Cabrito, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    As a Mexican, I really hope CUSA's new owner is not Mexican, for the good of the fans. Here's why: people with money in Mexico are used to doing things over there in a way that doesn't fit at all with the corporate culture of the US. These people are also very arrogant and don't feel the need to adapt; they'll end up operating the team in a different way than the rest of the high-performing MLS teams again. I've seen it in Chivas USA and I've seen it in other companies too. It would take a very hands-off owner with a proven track of success in US-based businesses for it to work; and that type of person is a rarity.

9. MARCH_

MARCH_ Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's a rumor but like i mentioned in my last post, replacing Cabrera & bringing a Mexican coach is so Vergara. Just the thought of having another Vergara/Cue ownership makes me sick.

If they decided to bring a Mexican coach it must be wise to have a talented roster/ownership willing to spend $ otherwise we would have another Chelis/Real.

10. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #185 raymondleone, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    What @futgod failed to mention is there are two owners:

In regards to player personnel:

Translation:​
    "The idea of the new owners is to create a mixed concept between Latinos & Anglo-Saxons with international players of the highest standards, that can compete against LA Galaxy"

11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The idea has its merits. Something has to replace Chivas USA as the club of choice for Univision. There's a whitepaper just out in the MLS NA news thread on reaching out to Hispanic millenials. The catchphrase was something like "in English is ok but it has to have a Hispanic flavor."

12. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Steve0013

Steve0013 Member

Jul 20, 2012
    London, UK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Go with the LA Locos FC & ditch the stripes while you're at it

14. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    I actually kind of like that "locos". Somos pocos pero locos

15. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any one else notice the subs have been wearing black warm up jackets with red and white accents? And gold numbers, perhaps it's something perhaps it nothing.

16. Cabrito

Cabrito Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Good observation; but it just seems like Adidas tried to make the presentation outfits more elegant looking. All MLS teams' presentation outfits this year are using an overall black color and the main team colors are used on the two horizontal shoulder lines. Good timing, as most of them came on sale very recently: http://www.mlsgear.com/mls-anthem-jackets.html

17. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, well now I'm just embarrassed. :coffee:

18. Capt.Tsubasa

Capt.Tsubasa Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    The wordmark would need an overhaul, but that bird still looks awesome :)

19. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How awesome would it be if Elton John was one of the new owners? Hell, if we're going to do this, then let's do this!

[​IMG]

21. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, who are these "Aztecs" you all keep speaking of? This is all new to me...

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be cooler if George Best was involved.

23. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "...And starting forward.... ZOMBIE GEORGE BEST!!!!!"

Now that'd put butts in seats!

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zombie Best > Elton John 2014

Bubba1971 and USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  25. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That orange is horrific. It also looks too much like Houston's horrific colors. I could see the LAFC/SC uniforms taking on USC colors if they get the stadium downtown. Cardinal, gold, and black.
    I'm not for it, but I can see it.