FIFA: Re-run of 2022 World Cup vote a possibility

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by LiverAndPineapple, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Qatar has 12 cities.

Justin Z and tyguy repped this.
  2. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of those "cities" have less than 40,000 people in them, making them cities in the same way that Casper Wyoming is a city.

jond, Wessoman and Editor In Chimp repped this.
  4. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh there will be beer. InBev is one of FIFA's biggest sponsors. It will just be over priced, watered down and only allowed in certain places (hotel's, Fan zones, and Sepp Blatter's personal orgy room)

england66 repped this.
  5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just an FYI but during the Sochi Olympics alcohol was banned from all stadiums and closed venues (which oddly meant you could drink beer at alpine events but not at speed skating for example).

The point is, I wouldn't be shocked if something like this were to happen in Russia.

6. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If 40K is where you draw the line, then Qatar has two cities; Doha and Ar Rayyan. Anyone got the proposed locations of the magic 8? It would seem silly to build a stadium in a spot like Al Wukayr that has a population somewhere around 5,000.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep Al Wukayr gets a stadium, as does Al Khor and Madinat as shamal which has all of seven thousand people.

8. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
  9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Al Wakkrah might only have 5000 people but it's only about 8 miles outside of Doha. Ar Rayyan is basically part of Doha.

Only Lusail (25km) Al Khor (50km) and Madinat (122km) are really any significant distance from Doha.

10. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So there are going to be more people inside the stadium than in the cities where a lot of these games will be played. Great.

11. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I thought the "Please don't slap me again..." comment after my previous post was a dead give away that I was being sarcastic.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's basically going to be almost all in Doha.

13. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Oh, my daughter cringes when I make jokes like this...but if you say that post aloud with a Rhode Island accent, I would be able to shout back at you: "Of course it's going to be all indoors, it's freakin' Qatar in the summer!"

diablodelsol repped this.
  14. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lusail is basically a part of greater Doha. Al Khor is basically a bedroom community for the natural gas industry at Ras Laffan and a place where some Qataris keep their beach houses, so not much of a city to host a WC stadium. The only other towns of any size that are really distinct from Doha are Dukhan and maybe Al Wakrah. Other than that, it's basically the greater Doha area or nothing.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  15. tyguy

tyguy Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Cheeseland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at google satellite of Lusail, where the finale will take place. It looks like the first step of a pre-fab subdivision. Its basically a small network of connecting roads with what looks like a construction supply depot next to what could possibly be a few rows of workers' barracks in a concentration camp .

keller4president, Wessoman and Marko72 repped this.
  16. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More living people...

17. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    The entire country is the size of CT, though a bit oblong. It's all basically "greater Doha." Even the far flung, i.e. 50 mile distant, stadiums will be in the "greater Doha" area.

It will be like having the World Cup in Vegas with a couple games in Henderson and some an hour's drive out into the middle of the desert.

Bluecat82, Footsatt, CREN and 1 other person repped this.
  18. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dukhan can't really be called greater Doha because you have to drive through miles of nothingness to get there. Doha isn't 50 miles across or anything like that. I'm not sure if Al Rayyan stadium is one of the ones they plan on using (it's one of the more modern stadia there) but it might count as being in greater Doha, even though it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere as well.

19. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Anyone who hasn't taken a bribe to award the World F'in Cup to this hell hole of a place knows full well that the whole episode is a total cluster fook...What a joke FIFA has become...

20. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh don't worry, they're making the stadiums that completely come apart like LEGOs so they can just put them up anywhere. They're also biodegradable! Haven't you heard?

21. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Do the hotels come apart too? How about the slave labor hotel staff?

22. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the hotels all float; they hover over the fields during the matches to shade and cool the players. The laborers themselves will be sealed into soccer ball-shaped tombs immediately after the final whistle... such is the weight of their sacrifice to appease the great liege lord Blatter.

All hail Sepp!

23. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I'm confident they'll qualify for 2018.

24. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP.

25. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Yup. They were 'qualified' to be selected to host a WC in 2022, and I'm sure they'll be 'qualified' to play in one before then.