Sounders vs Rapids P/I/P Sat 4/26 2PM MDT

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Totoro, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Ah crap: Powers and Mari battling injuries, might be unavailable for Sounders match. (Though warning: Bianchi article. Though nothing on the weather.)

Powers missed Tuesday's practice with "lower leg soreness." The news sounds more optimistic for Mari:

A point there would be good in any event, but if Sanchez, Mari and Powers are all out, a point would be GREAT.

2. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turf game I am fine resting Sanchez and giving Serna a run out to see what he can do over course of game. Also, I am tired of Buddle and hope to see him replaced with Torres.

3. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Is turf on an occasional basis (road games) really that hard on one's body? My sports career ended before field turf, and hurt pretty much on any surface, so I just have no idea. The new turf seems to have a lot more padding than the old carpets but it also seems a pretty wide practice in MLS to rest gimpy vets on turf. So maybe that's not enough.

4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understand Portland's is pretty good, but NE and SEA are last 2 due to NFL pounding around on it. No clue on Vancouver's, CFL plays there but just have missed if anyone said something about it.

5. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    #5 Dom. FC, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    I run (to referee HS soccer) on fairly new turf pitches along with natural surfaces and it is not a fair comparison this time of year because the natural surfaces have not had any/much irrigation water so far due to cold overnight temperatures and freezing worries for above ground components. Having said that a well watered natural surface is at least twice as comfortable (subjectively I know) during and after than even the newer turf surfaces. There is cushioning in the upper layer with crumb rubber, cork, and other organic 'filler' but under it is a compressed rock aggregate layer that is not any softer than concrete or asphalt (or doesn't feel like it anyway). Feet (plantar fasciitis), ankles, lower legs (shin splints), knees, hips, and even the back all feel it a little more at least in this moderately old guy sample size of one (MLS 'prime' age x2).
    Back to where I started I did two Class A varsity centers on turf last night w/ 40 minute halves (not recommended but necessary) and I'm not hurting any less or more than I was after two matches Saturday and Monday on 'hard' (not yet irrigated) grass pitches. If you think of a conventional box spring and mattress as natural grass the turf is more like the mattress on a concrete slab. If you also think of running as a series of one legged jumps with 'landings' for each foot on each stride the impact attenuation is just not as good (to me) on plastic. Now on to my cold fusion soccer ball project ...

fischerw, Excellency and Totoro repped this.
  6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 m vann, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Turf can absolutely cause Powers' tendentious to flare up so I am not opposed to him sitting this one out. Plus, the turf in Seattle is brutal and the worst, supposedly, in MLS. If Sanchez is out, too, so be it. We need these guys healthy when it really matters. It sounds like Mari is probable and will likely be available. With all these factors I'd like to see:

------------------ Irwin ----------------

--- Piermayr -- O'Neill -- Moor ----Klute

------------------ Mari ---------------------

-------Serna ---------------- Brown ---------

----------------- LaBrocca ------------------

----------- Buddle ---------- Torres ----------

LaBrocca is not my optimal choice behind the strikers but there aren't many options outside of Powers. You could consider Watts to LaBrocca but I'm not convinced, yet, that he can jumpstart an attack. He can certainly defend well, though. I'm not convinced LaBrocca can either but he's more experienced and could compensate easier. With that said, I could see LaBrocca sliding wide, Brown pushing forward, and Torres dropping in the hole -- if you will -- to supply / support Brown and Buddle in some offensive situations. I know it's on the road, in a hostile environment but I would love to see PM just set Serna free to see what he can do in these pressure cooked situations. I think his speed, quickness, and willingness to go at the defenders could cause trouble for the backline of: Leo Gonzalez - Traore - Marshall - Yedlin.

7. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    When talking about professional grade fields I can only imagine that the turf is worse than playing on real grass especially if you compare the Dick to Seattle. I'm 33 and would much rather play on a thick mound of grass than the flattened and often hardened park fields around the area. The unattended park fields that are made of turf are very hard from being exposed to the elements all year and probably don't get much up keep. Can't say I like the grass fields out at the Dick (not the stadium field) much though they keep the grass way to short so it's almost like playing on turf. There used to be a league in Englewood area not far from the Hampden light rail station that had decent grass fields. At least for my older worn out soccer legs because the grass was kept longer.

I like M Vann's lineup except for LaBrocca I'm getting a bit tired of his passes to no where and so far I'm not impressed with Watts. Let Sturgis play cm or if PM is in the experimenting mood I think Serna would be fine at the top of the diamond. He is very creative and it's not like he is that pacey of a winger. Then put someone like Chavez or Eloudou on the outside.

JasonMa repped this.
  8. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Why are people always conceeding turf? F dat S. I say, it's a turff game, lets get all of our best players out there and try to win three points.

9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Numerous Studies by NFL all show more injuries occur on Turf over Grass including more Serious knee injuries, so its not a subjective opinion at all. Just google it and I am sure you will find more to read then you care too.

10. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO

So all teams should wave the wihte flag and sit key players because you know, turf? It's annoying, why don't we get turf and we can sit back and collect easy Ws?

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand sitting Sanchez (because of his body's poor reaction to the turf last year) and Powers (because of his nagging injury that could easily be exacerbated by the turf). Otherwise I agree with @jayd8888, everyone else should go.

m vann repped this.
  12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, never said that either. Just don't play guys who can be affected due to either age or pre-existing condition 90 mins on those fields. Nothing knew here, Sanchez was handled same way last year.

MLS really needs to ban them when shared with a "Football" team (Oval ball) ;)

13. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never forget my first game in college against Pitt on their turf stadium and me stupidly slide tackling guy in first 5 mins and tearing up or "burning" my leg from knee to hip.

The base for turf is always concrete or asphalt and even with new cushioning not forgiving and completely changes style of play with bounce and zero friction slowing down ball.

Excellency repped this.
  14. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    What about Chavez?

15. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I wonder how having Serna, ONeill, and Haiston in US camp this week will tweak the lineup. I would have said to give them all a rest, but not sure that will possible given all the turf talk and potential injuries. Maybe Wynne makes a return to the lineup, With Chavez or LaBrocca getting the start in mid. Then bring in Serna as "super-sub".

COMtnGuy repped this.
  16. Left Coast

Left Coast Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle
  17. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yawn...

COMtnGuy and jayd8888 repped this.
  18. Cos_Mos

Cos_Mos Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Broomfield
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want the 31 seconds I spent on that back!

COMtnGuy and jimijam28 repped this.
  19. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    What's the point? Lock-step supporters? Can't think of anything more boring.

GoRapids and COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A several year-old video of a bunch of leg soldiers barely keeping in step while singing Flounders jodeys. About as intimidating as a girl scout cookie sale. A gif of Dempsey junk-punching someone would've been better.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  21. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In honor of the video, let's post some more Seattle stuff. Here is a typical Sounders fan in their natural habitat (their mom's basement):

[​IMG]

GoRapids, Stuart95, Rod1916 and 4 others repped this.
  22. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I don't hate them. I look forward to going down to OKC from time to time to check them out.

Dom. FC repped this.
  23. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:/\

24. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Personally I can't think of anything I would look forward to going to OKC for but I did 'get' it. ;>)

25. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I tried too hard Stuart95 said it best with, "yawn." This thread has the best of big soccer... Sounders hate and turf debate, quick somebody go pro/rel, I'll go tinfoil-hat crackpot posts about Don Garber and jason can post about a possible winter schedule.