River Plate 2013-14 Season: La Vuelta a las Copas [R]

Discussion in 'River Plate' started by locoxriver, Jul 1, 2013.

1. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's a huge gain for us but we need to get three points tomorrow. I don't think estudiantes is that great of a side and were going to be helped that he match is at the Estadio Unico de La Plata, which is a FIFA approved stadium.

In recent years, river has really floundered at small grounds. With our style of play we really need a decent sized pitch.

Slightly off topic, but in regards to teams playing copa libertadores I hate how they always use it as an excuse. I know we're talking about a different economic climate for argentine clubs, but in the past river used to always reach the quarters/semis of the copa and also fight the local tournament until the end, more often than not winning it. Velez played their starters today, but in reality their reserve team should beat some scrubs like quilmes

2. balazsriver10

balazsriver10 Member

May 23, 2013
    Debrecen
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary
    Chichizola!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

locoxriver and RiverGaucho repped this.
  3. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Amazing game from Chichizola not just the pen he had 3 very good saves as well. Vamos pibe!!

Keko x Cavenaghi. Cavenaghi was just plain awful. Not just his missed goal, but his passing was pitiful and his physical condition is so bad. Every time he touched the ball he ended rivers attack. Pathetic

4. balazsriver10

balazsriver10 Member

May 23, 2013
    Debrecen
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary
    Unfortunately he was the same againist Rafalea... :(
    What about Simeone??? Why not is he in the bench??? We could be a great alternative for Cavegol...

locoxriver repped this.
  5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Chichi figura :D:thumbsup:

Unfortunately not only did we miss a chance to be first, but we let Colon and possibly Lanus pass us. :thumbsdown:

But hey, we could have lost too.. That penalty was absurd though.

Now Velez... Vamos River!

balazsriver10 repped this.
  6. balazsriver10

balazsriver10 Member

May 23, 2013
    Debrecen
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary
    Oh my God, what a game from Chichizola!!!!!!!! He had 5 huge saves!!! He was the best player today (and Kranevitter). VAMOS PIBE!!! I think is was an equitable draw, but the final 5-10 minutes was terrible... Ramon had to change Keko earlier I think... Bad news it that Colón won againist Newell's...

locoxriver repped this.
  7. balazsriver10

balazsriver10 Member

May 23, 2013
    Debrecen
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! G R A N D E , C H I C H I !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

RiverGaucho repped this.
  8. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ramon gave up on the game and played for the tie. We didn't even generate a chance the last 15 minutes.

What was up with putting in both FM And Ferreyra!? The game was calling for Keko and probably even Fabbro to try and retain the ball! I don't know what Ramon was thinking we are not just fighting for the title but for a spot in the sudamericana. We can't let points slip away by playing for the tie!

Any time river plays defensively, we end up suffering 10x more than normal. Bad Ramon, just plane bad from you tonight

Chichizola was amazing. You know, I used to think he was a crack. In his first four games for river he didn't let in a single goal , then he made that error against Velez for Silvas goal and he sort of fell apart, but he's still got talent. He did well in the game against CASLA in the copa lets not forget. Grande chichi!!!! Hay q seguir asi vs Velez!!!

locoxriver, Ron Mexico and balazsriver10 repped this.
  9. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    well what hasnt been said. The point will do, Cavenaghi is a borderline disaster. Give me Villalva or Simeone, I think Simeone would be well suited especially as a 9 with a pretty good aerial presence.

Estudiantes is better than I thought, they close space well in defense, and break out of it quickly into attack. They are very well organized, and outclassed River today. Honestly I wouldnt be surprised if they won the title.

locoxriver repped this.
  10. balazsriver10

balazsriver10 Member

May 23, 2013
    Debrecen
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary
    I think Chichizola will be a very good goalkeeper, he is a big talent! It is true that he had some big mistakes in the past, but he is very young, most of the goalkeepers will give their best and the most balanced performance from his 27-28 years. By than will they have the necessary routine. He can learn a lot from Barovero, but in my opinion it will be the best for Chichi if he goes to loan for another team in the first division for one or two years, where he can plays in every week and after that if he gives his best performance, he could be the number 1. In the other hand it is good to know that we have a very good goalkeeper, like Chichi, when Barovero can’t play. It is a complicated topic what will be the best for Chici in the future.

11. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well Chichizola's contract expires if I'm not mistaken in June, so we'll have to see what D'Onofrio, Francescoli, and Ramon- or whoever the new coach is- what to do with him- if the player wants to stay.

After yesterday, I'm sure some smaller provincial teams would be interested in Chichizola, but if it were up to me I'd go all out to keep him.

Let's not forget, Chichizola has had some bad games- Olimpo last season especially- but Barovero has had some disasters too, like against Belgrano and Colon. I think we need to keep chichi as you say he's still very young and goalkeepers tend to mature later, I fact I'd say the prime years for a goalie are actually 30-35 and some goalies play at a high level into their 40s. Obviously were talking about all time legends, but Amadeo Carrizo was river's number 1 until he was 42 and he was playing at Millonarios in Colombia until he was 45. Right now Buffon and Casillas are in their mid 30s and still the best in the world and Rogerio Ceni is still scoring goals for São Paulo at 41

12. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well interest in Chichizola was never lacking: several clubs made offers or inquiries to take him on loan and River's plan was to send him out for 12 months, but unlike Marinelli and Servio he told D'Onofrio that he wanted to stay and fight for a spot.

Well, it might have been the right choice. Remember when a young Carrizo surprisingly took the GK spot from Lux (NT-quality at the time) in 2006 after several great performances? Not saying Chichi's going to replace Barovero, but if he repeats yesterday's performance in the next fechas he could move up a lot in Ramon and the fans' consideration.

I think if it's up to him, he'll renew and stay.

I hadn't heard anything about his contract until now, though.. the one who's been making headlines about a renewal is Solari. It would be ridiculous if he leaves on a free transfer to another club, specially now that he's adapting so well to the RB position.

13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe not after all..

"Yo quiero jugar en River. Me abrieron las puertas y me educaron desde el día en el que llegué. Siempre sueño con afianzarme en la Primera y, si me tuviera que ir, que sea de la mejor manera. No quiero estar sentado en el banco", aseguró Chichizola.

http://www.riverplate.com/Noticias/...14/21609-el-futuro-de-leandro-chichizola.html

14. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So apparently Ledesma could play this weekend. I don't think any of us can deny just how important Ledesma has been for us this season, but I don't think Kranevitter should be the one sacrificed as is being reported. I would take out Rojas. He has been terrible the last few games, and while I know Ramon likes to have balance by having a left-footer in the team, its always Vangioni or even Lanzini who provide width down the left.

The other thing that is absolutely infuriating is that Menseguez is included in the list of "concentrados" but Simeone remains in the reserva despite scoring for fun recently.

If the season ended today, we wouldn't even qualify for the sudamericana and Ramon is still playing favorites with his friends Rojas, Menseguez, and Ferreyra. He is digging his own grave not just with his relationship with the barra-brava, but with stupid tactics and team selections. if we don't make the sudamericana, it would be an embarrassment to be honest especially seeing as the likes of Godoy Cruz, Belgrano, Gimnasia, and Rosario Central are currently in the qualifying places.

Here's a list of the "concentrados"

Chichizola, N. Rodríguez, Funes Mori, Vangioni, Ledesma, Mercado, Maidana, Kranevitter, Ferreyra, Balanta, Menseguez, Rojas, Solari, Carbonero, Fabbro, Gutiérrez, Lanzini, Villalva y Cavenaghi.
    http://www.ole.com.ar/river-plate/futbol/alcanza_0_1122487848.html

15. balazsriver10

balazsriver10 Member

May 23, 2013
    Debrecen
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary
    It could be a good team:
    -----------------------Chichizola----------------------
    Mercado---Maidana-----------Balanta-------Vangioni
    --------------Ledesma---------Kranevitter-----------
    ---Carbonero-----------------------Lanzini-----------
    -----------Teo-------------Cavenaghi/Villalva--------

But as you say Ramón gives the chance to Rojas everytime, but I don't know why... Ledesma, Kranevitter, Ponzio is better than him, but two of them sit on the bench or not be in the team in every match, because Rojas must play...

16. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Empate de Estudiantes :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good news, because it also means Rosario Central -who are one point behind us- didn't win either.

A win vs. Velez would leave us first/second, depending on Colon's result vs. Belgrano.

A ganar millo, ahora mas que nunca!!

17. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    hey they won! There are no easy games, but the way to a title doesnt look horrible either. Vangioni was immense, Kranevitter too. Everyone on D really. Lets hope Balanta is ok, Teo too. But Balanta would be a much bigger loss.

On to Olimpo.

locoxriver repped this.
  18. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What an emotional roller-coaster ride as usual. It seems like us River fans will be forced to suffer every match

Amazing game from Kranevittter. The kid needs to stay in the line-up. He must have recovered 10-15 balls tonight. I thought Vangioni finally looked like the guy we signed from Newell's and played the 2013 Torneo Final.

And lets not forget Chichizola. Made some really good saves, especially the one-on-one vs. Pratto, and the play at the end of the game when he clearly got to the ball. At this point, Chichi looks more secure than Barovero, who if we're honest, was really quite poor this season.

I don't want to complain when we're leaders this late in the tournament, but Ramon really has tired me out with his use of Ferreyra. The guy is useless and can't play more in River. As bad as Balanta's injury was, it may have saved us the match. Right before he asked to be subbed off, Menseguez was warming up and preparing to come in. Thank god he didn't, he'd probably've handed the game to Velez like he did against Tigre and Belgrano.

19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No Teo or Balanta vs. Olimpo :thumbsdown:

http://www.ole.com.ar/river-plate/dos_bajas_para_river_0_1124287830.html

It sucks because Teo has been one of our better players the last few rounds, but I'm actually not too disappointed. I feel like this could be a good game for Keko, and since it's a small field it might benefit us more to play a player like Keko instead, since he could open more spaces and center the ball to Cavegol. I feel with Teo the field would be closed more.

Obviously Teo should start over Villalva normally, but if there's a game I don't mind the Colombian's absence in it's probably this one.

20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Gimnasia (LP) won 2-1.. Of all the players in the world, it was Bou who scored their winning goal lol

Anyway, they joined us at the top.

1. RIVER - 27
    2. Gimnasia - 27
    3. Estudiantes -26
    4. Colon -26
    5. Godoy Cruz - 25

RiverGaucho repped this.
  21. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Gimnasia's last match is at home to Boca... Which means we need to be ahead of them in the standing by that point since we know the cowardly bosteros will throw their match in order to deny us...

In other news, we're also out of the Copa Sudamericana standings as Godoy Cruz smashed Rafaela 3-0.

I know the Sudamericana isn't that prestigious a tournament, but we need the money this Copa would give us, plus the double competition would give us a chance to rotate our squad a bit more.

Ramon needs to not be a coward when we go to Bahia Blanca. Its not a fun place to go, and it will be cold as hell, but we need 3 points, not one...

Especially, as I said, Gimnasia's last match of the season is already an assured 3 points.

22. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So now Fabbro plays? :confused:

I wanted to see him get a chance, but Cavenaghi is going to be too alone up top without Teo or another forward to help him out in Olimpo's small, closed field. It was the right game for Villalva.

I can see us passing the ball around a lot but not getting anywhere. :thumbsdown: Hopefully I'm wrong.

RiverGaucho repped this.
  23. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Fabbro has a good shot on him which could help draw the Olimpo defense out... But as you say, if there's no speedy player to take advantage of drawing them out what the point?

As controversial as it might be to say, I'd take out Lanzini and have both Fabbro and Keko play. One to hit long shots and make them close him down, the other to run onto his through balls.

Lets not forget though- a small field means less ground for Fabbro to cover and his lack of speed shouldn't be such an issue, he'll practically be in shooting range when he crosses the half way line. I remember Fabbro vs. Rafaela on a similar field in the Inicial, and although he didn't score, he was able to work the Rafaela keeper a few times. It was probably his best game at River TBH

On another note, Ramon SIMEONE al banco!!! Fuera el burro de Menseguez!!

locoxriver repped this.
  24. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This type of favoritism is why a part of me hopes we don't win the title. It will give D'Onofrio an excuse to fire Ramon's lame ass and bring in someone right for the long term.

But on the short term if we do win the title, we can finally be back in the Libertadores next year.

25. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    But there will always be favoritism..

Look at Sabella and his favoritism for Romero and his ex-Estudiantes players (Rojo, Fernandez, Brana, etc.). Or how Basile did that with his bosteros (Ibarra, Cata, etc.) in his second spell in the NT. The list goes on.

I don't agree with Ferreyra and Menseguez being part of the squad, but Ramon clearly believes they can contribute to his team winning a championship like they did in the past. It could be worse: at least it's not full-on favoritism where they start and play 90 minutes week-in and week-out, something Ramon could have always done if he really were just trying to favor them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for those two leaving in June, but unfortunately they are of our current coach's liking and that's what happens. Bring in someone else, and it's more than likely they will try to bring in some player they've had good experiences with in the past too.

And despite everyone criticizing Ramon left and right, I think he's done a good job (Ferreyra/Menseguez topic aside). Not only is the team finally fighting for a title again after 6 years (6!!), but we have an identity in our style of play -- something Almeyda, JJ, Cappa, and Astrada's teams all lacked.

And like I said.... THE TEAM IS FIGHTING FOR THE TITLE! Criticize Ramon all you want, but the numbers speak for themselves: he won everything in the 90s, came back and won the local tournament in 2002 before being sacked that same season, and now came back in one of the club's roughest moments and has transformed us into one of the best in the country again.

Mistakes? Oh he makes a lot of them. But so will anyone else. All I know is that we're up top again, and Ramon deserves credit for that. I would not give him the boot in June, personally.