It's official billionaire Twins owner wants to invest in TC MLS Club

Discussion in 'Minnesota United FC' started by 4four4, Apr 11, 2014.

1. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_25547363/united-fc-kicks-off-soccer-season-amid-mls

Thank goodness! It looks like the Wilfs might be on the outside looking in but I am more pumped to follow United. Go United go!

Dang it the thread title was messed up. Go Loons! Ha.

2. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last Line of Defense repped this.
  4. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully the bid with a dedicated soccer stadium not a shared stadium will win out.

5. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    We can only hope. Either way the Twin Cities likely will have a MLS stadium at the new Vikings stadium or a SSS by the Farmers Market /downtown.

6. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let us hope for the SSS. I really don't want the Viking owners running a MLS team.

7. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    The more we see a passionate owner involved the more likely we see a winner.

8. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just can't see the Wilfs being passionate over owning a MLS team or putting forth 100% time and effort in being successful.

9. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    I agree but to be honest we don't know what they have planned if anything. I believe they are solid nfl owners who invest money on the Vikings but who knows if they own a MLS club. I guess we will have to wait and see. I hope United win this war. ;)

10. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minneapolis would be a BAD idea. Is soccer even the 6th most popular sport in the state? I think the Star Tribune folks would put their WNBA team on the front page before they ever gave an MLS franchise one paragraph of coverage.

11. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would probably be about the 5th. Still doesn't make it a bad idea. I strongly believe a team in Minnesota (located in the twin cities) would be successful. The support and following of soccer in the twin cities and most of the suburbs is strong. Actually just in the past week they interviewed the Minnesota United FC President and had that in the Star Tribune- Sports.

12. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd feel better about an MLS franchise in the Twin Cities if the state had any college men's soccer programs (St. Cloud State, UMD and the like) because at least it would show soccer has some presence below the professional level. To the best of my knowledge there are zero such programs in Minnesota.

13. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Valid concern. The biggest programs in the area are in the MIAC conference (D3). Schools like St Olaf, St Thomas, Hamline, Augsburg, and ect. The U of M has a mens soccer club and I've heard it's a pretty big one. Not going to include St. Cloud or Duluth (surprisingly strong soccer support up in the North) because I consider those two too far away to impact a potential team in a major way.

Basically you want the team to be located in the twin cities or the SW metro (Bloomington, Eagan, Edina area)
    Currently Minnesota United FC play in Blaine, which is north of the cities 30-60 minutes depending on where you are coming from. Terrible location, because no one wants to go to Blaine (it's awful) and the soccer support in that area is not great. Gives a bad rep of what MN could offer.

giorgiochinaglia repped this.
  14. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    What the hell does supporting college soccer have to do with getting a MLS club? Nothing.

If that were the criteria, Indiana , Virginia and North Carolina would be hot MLS expansion candidates, they clearly are not.

Mpls/StP is a great location, a vibrant urban scene with great local and regional culture. Sure football, hockey, basketball and baseball are all ahead of soccer. Same goes for everywhere else in this country, including El Estado de California.

15. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Pure rubbish.

Virtually every American market was a bad idea. Obviously, you are too young to remember or not born yet but I watched many Minnesota Kicks games with 35,000 people at the old Met Stadium. This market will be just fine especially if they build a SSS. Also, the Star Tribune recently installed a soccer tab for their sports page. IMO, that was huge for the sport and for Minnesota United fc. Anything is possible.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen it said here, but is Minnesota the first time 3 different billionaires were essentially fighting over the rights to have MLS in the same city?

First World Soccer Problems. :)

17. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    In one corner the tag team of Minnesta United fc and Minnesota Twins in the other corner Minnesota Vikings.

But yes rarely do we see 3 billionaires fighting over a MLS club. Don Garber and company must be happy with the Twin Cities.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New theory: let Vikings build their soccer friendly Vancouver/Atlanta like NFL stadium, United/Twins owned MLS club plays there.

Seems more likely than 2 brand new buildings, right?

Unless Twins/United pay for all of their new stadium (best case scenario).

19. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    I was thinking about the same theory but if United fc have to pay for rent and not control concession stands etc. then MLS soccer loses. If by chance United owned 51% and the Twins and Vikings owned the rest that may be possible. Like you said if United and the Twins could figure out a way to build a SSS it would be best for all parties.

I feel comfortable saying the Twin Cities will be receiving a franchise by 2020 or team 25 for sure 26..

20. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    unfortunately this is not possible. in the bill for funding the viking stadium there was a provision that states for the first 5 years the vikings have exclusive rights to use the facility to play MLS soccer games ... any other ownership for the MLS team will have to find other accommodations (unless after losing the bid the vikes are feeling generous).

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Vikings don't want a MLS team, they want to fill dates. Its entirely possible that the Vikings will be happy to rent out the stadium to someone else, as long as the dates are filled.

Cyclonis repped this.
  22. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    I am under the impression the Vikings have to own at least 5% of the club during the first 5 years of the stadium.

23. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    I for sure see your point but we really don't know what the Vikings intentions are of owning a MLS club. I do know Sigi's oldest son is between 24 and 27 the very exact demographic tMLS is marketing to. We wait but I personally would love to see United fc and the Twin build a SSS by the Farmer's market.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure how to process that. What does that even mean?

25. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    SoccerPrime repped this.