ESPN Documentaries

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by danielmak, Apr 19, 2014.

1. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    ESPN has been and will be running some football-related documentaries leading up to the world cup:

Hillsborough Sunday, April 20th on ESPN2 10PM EST (repeating at 7PM on 4/21).

Maradona '86 on ESPN Tuesday, April 22nd at 5PM EST (repeating at 7PM on ESPN2 on 4/22)

The Myth of Garrincha on ESPN Tuesday, April 29th at 5PM EST (repeating at 8PM on ESPN2 on 4/30)

2. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 LaxBandit, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    According to the listings I have - the start times you listed above are two hours behind.
    (Example: 30 for 30: Maradona '86 premieres Tuesday at 7:00 pm ET not 5:00 pm ET.)
    There is one correct listing - tonights 30 for 30: Hillsborough will start at 10:00 pm ET on ESPN2.

3. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 LaxBandit, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    30 for 30: Soccer Stories Continues with “Maradona ’86” and “The Opposition”

The next two films in ESPN Films’ 30 for 30: Soccer Stories documentary series will be “Maradona ’86,” (at 7:00 pm ET) followed by “The Opposition” (at 8:00 pm ET) airing back-to-back Tuesday, April 22 on ESPN.

“Maradona ’86,” directed by Sam Blair, tells the story of former football great Diego Maradona. In the 1986 World Cup, Maradona reached his apotheosis, redefining what is possible for one man to accomplish on a football pitch - ability to take control of the ball, the game and an entire tournament. Constructed from archival material, “Maradona ’86″ is an ode to this ultimate football idol as he wrote his name in football history forever.

“The Opposition,” directed by Ezra Edelman and Jeffrey Plunkett, focuses on Chile in the wake of the 1973 military coup. American-backed dictator Augusto Pinochet transformed Santiago’s National Stadium into a concentration camp where political opponents were tortured and assassinated. Only months later, that same stadium was scheduled to host a decisive World Cup qualifier between Chile and the Soviet Union. Despite protests, FIFA’s own investigation and the Soviets’ eventual boycott, the Chilean team still played the game as planned, qualifying for the 1974 World Cup on a goal scored against no one.

LB: Its a tripleheader of 30 for 30: Soccer Stories on the ESPN family on Tuesday as 30 for 30: "Hillsborough" is being repeated on ESPN2 - 9:00 pm ET-11:00 pm ET.

stingbee30 repped this.
  4. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have yet to see 1 trailer for the Diego documentary, ESPN showed the Hillsborough one probably dozen times a day until it aired.

5. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 LaxBandit, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Correction - The next two films in ESPN Films "30 for 30: Soccer Stories" documentary series will be “Maradona ’86,” (7:00 pm ET-7:30 pm ET) and “The Opposition” (7:30 pm ET-8:00 pm ET) - airing back to back on ESPN tonight - Tuesday, April 22. These two films are only 30 minute documentaries and not 60 minute documentaries.

These two "30 for 30: Soccer Stories" will be repeated tonight - 9:00 pm ET-10:00 pm ET - ESPN2.
    The scheduled showing of "30 for 30: Hillsborough" - 9:00 pm ET-11:00 pm ET - ESPN2 - has been canceled.
    Baseball Tonight will be shown after the two "30 for 30: Soccer Stories" - 10:00 pm ET-11:00 pm ET - ESPN2.

6. richardfromnyc

Apr 6, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Maradona '86 was boring and uninformative. An extended highlight reel of his 86 World Cup exploits- I'd hardly call it a 'film'

The Opposition was a much better story and short film.

7. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    Agreed on both points. Maradona '86 was very 'Meh.'

The Opposition gave me the feels and produced a lot of information in less than 25 minutes of content.

8. stingbee30

stingbee30 Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Ratings Update:

Hillsborough original airing on ESPN on Tuesday night pulled almost 530K viewers. The repeat on ESPN2 on Sunday night scored another 147K viewers. I don't have the numbers for Monday repeat on ESPN2 (I assume another 100k+ is very much possible).

9. justink

justink Member

Jul 15, 2000
    While I knew full well the thuggery of the American-backed Pinochet, the football angle was new to me.

For the Maradona story, it just brought back memories of watching Mexico 86.

10. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When will they repeat Garrincha from lastnight? The NBA press conference messed up my DVR since I was taping ESPN and they bumped it to ESPN2 I missed it.

11. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Found it tonight on ESPN2 at 10pm est.

12. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone missed the two 30 for 30 Soccer Stories tonight (or last night if your reading this on Thursday) they will be repeated at least two more times - Sunday, May 4 - 11:00 pm ET-12:00 am ET (right before the hour long edition of ESPN FC) and Saturday, May 10 - 7:00 am ET-8:00 am ET - both showings are on ESPN2.