OUT: Rosell, IN: Second Place | The 2013-2014 Season Thread Pt. 2

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by os_mutante, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Just to clarify, it sounds like Barca's request to lift the ban until a final decision is made is what has been granted, correct?
    The ban of two transfer windows is still being considered but until FIFA render their final verdict Barca can deal in the market, yes?
    This is how I understand the article anyway. :confused:

gmonn repped this.
  2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Madridistas accusing other clubs of bribery. lol
    The hypocrisy spouted by White Trash never ceases to amaze.

SOCCERMARINE repped this.
  3. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    #703 waitforit, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Yes. If they are found guilty they will still be suspended for the next 2 transfer windows. Even so in this case TAS is next so we could be seeing the trial dragging until 2015 or even 2016.
    What I think will happen is that Barca will be found guilty by FIFA and banned for one transfer period (january 2015) and Barca will be fine with it

I love the guy who said "they are called UEFALONA for a reason"

I mean sure it has FIFA right there in the name :ROFLMAO:

4. R.Baggio

R.Baggio Member

Apr 22, 2013
    I don't see much Serie A but his Lille team never looked defence first to me. They were quite offensive and entertaining.

5. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Let's call it how it is: a double standard.

One disgrace compounded by another.

6. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Let's not pretend that Real Madrid (or any other 'elite' club) wouldn't do the same.

7. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    what do you mean?

8. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What right did the club have to be let off the hook? They f**ed up and now don't have to pay for it. Screwing up in the first place is one disgrace, getting let off the hook is yet another.

This all depends on whether or not the initial ban was justified. I'm not knowledgeable about FIFA's policies nor the club's inner-workings to determine that myself.

9. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yes, that's correct.

(fwiw, I think this is step 1/2 of appeal: the second is to get rid of the ban entirely)

10. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    this whole thing is kinda complicated, so i'm not sure if i'm understanding this right. but i was under the impression that they have not been let off the hook, and will likely still have a transfer ban pending their appeal. all they really managed to do at this point is postpone the punishment so that they will have time to present their appeal and plead their case, a process which can't be completed before the transfer window opens. So we will be able sign player this summer, but we probably are still going to have to pay for it through a transfer ban the following window or two.

11. Zincubus

Zincubus Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If we blow two seasons budgets in the Summer window- the ban will have minimal effect !

12. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    maybe. assuming all the new signings pan out and no one gets injured or loses form for whatever reason. but a lot can happen.

13. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    as the old Church Lady on SNL used to say, 'talk amongst yourselves'

14. Zincubus

Zincubus Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'd add Masch to that six tbh

puyol repped this.
  15. Zincubus

Zincubus Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

We can just spend €120 million and stockpile - sell nobody but add 6 top quality players .

16. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, well I'd add more than just Masch to that list, but yes Masch is critical especially if we sell Song. Now I'm not anti Song, he's done OK in limited PT at DM, but not at CB, so assuming we add at least one world class CB and sell Song then Masch could back both DM (Busquets) and CB (new signing, Pique, and Bartra). Bartra is another one I'd add to the untouchable list (maybe the list was just untouchable established starters), without keeping Bartra and Masch we'd need to sign 2 world class CBs and that may just be too tall an order since we've not managed to sign a single one in years.

I also think it may work to sell one of Alves, Adriano and Montoya but not two, certainly not three. I'd prefer we kept Pedro and Alexis but at a minimum we need to keep one of those two. Xavi is going nowhere unless he wants to do a Puyol, but maybe at 34 they just don't want to call him untouchable, assuming he stays his minutes will get reduced. I'd bring back Rafinha and hope he'd soon join the ranks of untouchables.

But really we are not a selling club or an especially deep club, so our sales will mainly be of players long deemed surplus (Bojan, Cuenca, Affelay, JDS) OR will be dictated by who we first buy. If we buy a world class forward and bring back Deulofeu then we can, for example get rid of one of Pedro or Alexis and also Tello. If we buy a world class attacking midfielder and bring in Rafinha than we can, for example, more easily part ways with Sergi Roberto, JDS, Song or even Cesc (though I really don't think Cesc is leaving).

I really expect this to be the busiest transfer summer ever as we may need to sit out next summer (though I suspect we ultimately accept a bigger fine and sitting out only January 2015 transfer window as our punishment) so I hope we don't leave it all till August as we too often seem to do.

I hope chemistry of such potentially major squad turnover works out.

17. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yea but remember Masche can only at his maximum level as DMF with a real CB behind him. He's too slow and short as a CB. His actual function is to disrupt opponent midfield .

18. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I always thought Masch was quite fast?? Too short, sure, but I can think of plenty of slower defenders. Pique for one has a reputation of being slow.

19. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville

19 goals allowed in 34 Serie A games ... best in the league. They are offensive only when Totti plays.

20. R.Baggio

R.Baggio Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Besides screwing Shakira, what exactly did Gerard Fvcking Pique do to merit being untouchable??

21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well yea pretty fast for sure but you can say the same about Alves, he's pretty fast but against opponent like Bayern and RM, Robben, Ribbery, Ronaldo, Di Maria, Bale... they're still easily outpaced and it has been proven.

22. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Being a main defender in a side that won 3 Champions league (twice with Barca, once with MU) + winning 2 Euros & a World cup. Winning championship with 3 different sides, cant argue about it.

John Terry got sent off and his team won that semifinal and final without him , I dont think Chelsea think he deserve to be replace by someone else?

23. Zincubus

Zincubus Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's surely enough :)

24. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Pique was not a main defender for Man Utd, he only played 12 games for them

25. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You can take out that one if you want... just like Messi and Iniesta in 2006 campaign, didnt change the fact they have contribution. Not to mention Pique was only like 21 at the time.

Also, Pique actually scored more goal than Messi in 2007-2008 CL.